R15 won't show "local" channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

slobizman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
I just upgraded an old receiver to an R15 today. Spent three hours on with tech support trying to get things to work. I'm left with one problem--I pay for local channels (sub 100) and when I try to view them it gives me the error "Channel Not Purchased (721)"
Finally, Tier 2 gave up and said it was the hardware and for me to go back to BestBuy for a new one. Before going through all this again with a new receiver, does anyone really think it could be this? To me, the message appears to think that I haven't paid for the local channels, not that I cannot get them through the hardware.
Notes: By the way, I am current on the software as we downloaded the new versio of it (DVR functions didn't work without doing that). And, I do get local channels on anther reciever (Tivo). Also, this R15 has one sat input connected in the back, not two, but that should not affect it.
Anyone here have any opinions of it they think it is really the hardware?
Man, I thought I'd give DTV a chance and choose this unit over the Tivo one.

What satellite does your locals come off of? If it is from the 119 the R15 could be trying to show those channels but is getting the signal from the 101. If this is the case redo the setup and make sure it is set for oval 3 and do not use the auto detect.

davidrumm said:
What satellite does your locals come off of? If it is from the 119 the R15 could be trying to show those channels but is getting the signal from the 101. If this is the case redo the setup and make sure it is set for oval 3 and do not use the auto detect.

I chekced my setup and it is:

101 (A) Transponder 1
119 (B) Transponder 22
101 (C) Transponder 8

I have it set to Oval 3LNB.

I did the Auto-Detect once with the DTV "tech" on the phone and it set it up as Round (which was incorrect). I still got the regular channels, but still not the local ones.

Do you really think it could be the receiver (hardware)? I doubt it. I think the techs have on their script to always ask the customer to go back to the store and get a new one if all else fails.

EDIT TO ADD: I just looked at a different receiver (different model (too) that does get local channels correctly and the settings are different. They are:

101 (A) Transponder 11
119 (B) Transponder 22
101 (C) Transponder 8

Last edited:
Whiile I didn't have any problem with the turn-up of my R15, I have read that many did. They either ended up with no locals or the DVR function didn't work.

I have had this problem with both my previsou DTiVo installs and I've learned to always always always check the loca channels and the DVR function while you have DTV on the phone.

I'd call them back and tell them you aren't getting locals. Chances are they can fix it over the phone.

mphare said:
Whiile I didn't have any problem with the turn-up of my R15, I have read that many did. They either ended up with no locals or the DVR function didn't work.

I have had this problem with both my previsou DTiVo installs and I've learned to always always always check the loca channels and the DVR function while you have DTV on the phone.

I'd call them back and tell them you aren't getting locals. Chances are they can fix it over the phone.
I was on the phone with them for three hours. They could not fix it and told me to go return the unit and try agian with the new one.

I just hate to do this as I really don't think that will fix it.

Try swapping receivers and see if problem follows the receiver. If it does it is the receiver, if not then it is in the cable or multiswitch? (if you have one). Also do you have only 1 cable connected to the R15 or do you have 2?

By the way the transponders will only matter for the channel you are on. The receiver changes transponders depending on what channel you are on.

davidrumm said:
Try swapping receivers and see if problem follows the receiver. If it does it is the receiver, if not then it is in the cable or multiswitch? (if you have one). Also do you have only 1 cable connected to the R15 or do you have 2?
By the way the transponders will only matter for the channel you are on. The receiver changes transponders depending on what channel you are on.

DUH!!! I think I might have figured out a problem. My wiring is really confusing (wiring closet with about 100 cables for home networking, home audio and DT) and I'll have to check some things out in daylight tomorrow, but I think I know what is going on.

I believe the 3 LNB has two pairs of cables coming out of it, right? (I'll have to get on the roof tomorrow morning and see). I believe I took one pair and direct-connected it into the two cables in my closet that feed into the two inputs of my working (Philips 30 hour Tivo) dual receiver. Then, it looks like I have the other two pair feeding an old MultiSwitch, which in turn feeds my new H15 and a couple other older receivers. I'm guessing the problem is that this old Multiswitch will recognize the 3 LNB input, and that's why the local channels are not coming through. I hope that's it!!!

Does it sound right that my curently having one pair of the cables from the dish direct connected into the two inputs of working (Philips 30 hour Tivo) receiver would still allow it function correctly? Because that's what I think I did, and it is working.

So, am I correct in thinking that to rememdy this, I need to get a newer 5 x 8 multiswitch and feed all four cables into this, and then send the outputs into each receiver (one for a single and two for a dual), right?

That sounds like the problem. The old mulitswitch is only for the 101 and will not see the 119 satellite. Yes the 5x8 will be the remedy for this.

davidrumm said:
That sounds like the problem. The old mulitswitch is only for the 101 and will not see the 119 satellite. Yes the 5x8 will be the remedy for this.
Yup. That was it alright! Fixed. Now if I can just figure out what's wrong with one of my cables...ARGHH.

Hey, when I do a setup for the R15, it gives me an interesting message:

"Your dish type is set to 3 LNB Oval, but setup detected 3 satellites." Huh? there are supposed to be three sats, right?

Also, one last question. I bought the Terk 5x8 unit from Best Buy as an "open box" unit for a good deal. So, no instructions. Does it matter which of the four calbes that comes out of the Oval Dish go into which of the four sat in spots? Are they four all independent of each other, or are they in pairs? The four inputs on the Terk are marked "Sat A" for two of them and "Sat B" for two of them.

are you talking about the terk 5X8 multiswitch???

if so.....stop!!!!!!!!!!! you have the phase 3 dish....right!!

go up to the roof and locate each wire (coax) with a continunity tester, then look at the ports on the lnb for...................i CANT TAKE IT ANY MORE.....it doesnt matter!!!! just make sure that the coax from the dish on the roof (the last place id want it) all 4 go to sat a and sat b ...let the IRD auto configure the dish,,,you should be fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)