R22 to get HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
Reports are that the latest software update that is rolling out slowly (see this thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...se-8-22-v-034b-addition-double-play-more.html ) is enabling the HDTV menu on the R22 receiver.

The R22 defaults to "Hide HD Channels", much like many HR2x users use "hide SD channels". Disabling the Hide HD essentailly makes the R22 a full HD-DVR.

What we don't know, and most important, is if this is an oversight or a permanent change from DirecTV.

Given that this is part of a rolling national release, I would imagine they made the decision to finally give up on the differentiation between the R22 and HR22. With the recent pull-back of R22s from retail (Best Buy), they may be just going to the R16 for SD and the HR series for HD or MPEG4 locals markets.

Reports are that the latest software update that is rolling out slowly (see this thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...se-8-22-v-034b-addition-double-play-more.html ) is enabling the HDTV menu on the R22 receiver.

The R22 defaults to "Hide HD Channels", much like many HR2x users use "hide SD channels". Disabling the Hide HD essentailly makes the R22 a full HD-DVR.

What we don't know, and most important, is if this is an oversight or a permanent change from DirecTV.

Given that this is part of a rolling national release, I would imagine they made the decision to finally give up on the differentiation between the R22 and HR22. With the recent pull-back of R22s from retail (Best Buy), they may be just going to the R16 for SD and the HR series for HD or MPEG4 locals markets.

I know that with the last couple of CE's that the HDTV menus have been activated. I haven't tried the R22 on a HDTV to see if it shows things in HD yet. I may be switching places with my HR20 due to the fact that the second ethernet port can be used as a bridge on the R22.

The latest I have heard is you have to have the HD Access Fee $10. and the latest NR for the R22 to become an HR21.So for a DirecTV SD subscriber like myself that would like to be able to change the bar color from gray to black so I don't get a gray screen when changing channels ect.. I would have to pay to receive this ability( I think there is a word for that!).:rant:

The latest I have heard is you have to have the HD Access Fee $10. and the latest NR for the R22 to become an HR21.So for a DirecTV SD subscriber like myself that would like to be able to change the bar color from gray to black so I don't get a gray screen when changing channels ect.. I would have to pay to receive this ability( I think there is a word for that!).:rant:

I understand that frustration, I have an R22 too.

This change may be something they could enable portions of the HDTV menu without fully enabling HD w/o the HD Access. It hasn't happened yet, but I could see that being something done in a future software update. Otherwise, perhaps relocating the bar color options to a different menu.

I understand that frustration, I have an R22 too.

This change may be something they could enable portions of the HDTV menu without fully enabling HD w/o the HD Access. It hasn't happened yet, but I could see that being something done in a future software update. Otherwise, perhaps relocating the bar color options to a different menu.

Jason,
Any chance they do something with the "Red Headed Step Child" H 20 and make it so you can "Hide HD" channels and display only SD for those that don't have HD sets yet.

It's a pain to go to a channel and have to go up a channel everytime because it defaults to the HD channel.
If you use the guide I would think it would work OK, but if you go directly to a channel it defaults to the HD channel.

Jason,
Any chance they do something with the "Red Headed Step Child" H 20 and make it so you can "Hide HD" channels and display only SD for those that don't have HD sets yet.

It's a pain to go to a channel and have to go up a channel everytime because it defaults to the HD channel.
If you use the guide I would think it would work OK, but if you go directly to a channel it defaults to the HD channel.

They have some MPEG4 markets with SD locals, so installs in these areas all get either H21 or HR21 or up. I could see that being added to the menu at some point.

Whether they put it on the H20 is another thought though, they don't install H20's anymore, but they try to keep the software essentially the same.

I could see that option being added eventually.

My understanding is that the change is intentional and permanent.

Which brings up the point that you can pick up a leased R22 from a number of internet places for ~$85... :)

Of course, once they start getting snapped up like crazy, the e-tailers might figure it out and raise the prices.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)