Radio Shack 9' sat dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Xinstaller

Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
NJ
I am curious to know if there is any value to this style dish. I bought this dish years ago and it ended up being stored in my parents house without ever being used. I have no idea if anything in that kit can be used in todays current satellite systems. I would have liked to try and set it up at home and see what is still out there but I don't think I would have the right location to install it, plus I would probably have to invest in a new receiver and I really don't want to do that as I am a dish customer right now. Thanks

Everything is still in box's. I don't think I ever opened them but give me about a week and I will see what I can do. The box's are all over my parents house and they have been bugging me for years to do something with it. I came across this site not too long ago and the holidays were not too far off so my parents asked me again about doing something with it.

Wow a brand new RAT SHACK CBAND dish. That be wild to see indeed

Here is the original sales ad from 1990. It would work today for the few analog channels left. You could add a DVB receiver and 4DTV and have a nice new system.

Attachments

• rs-9ft-ad.jpg
    rs-9ft-ad.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 545
The nice thing about RS dishes is that all of them I have seen have Horizon motors on them.
the down side on their Horizon set up is the 1/2 moon gear, it is made out of plastic an it wears down in time, but with all being new an still in box's you will have many years before that will happen. the key to long life of it, is "grease", back in their day the only time customers would think about greasing their dish is when a problem would pop up.
but they where not bad dishes, they played pretty good.

The nice thing about RS dishes is that all of them I have seen have Horizon motors on them.
the down side on their Horizon set up is the 1/2 moon gear, it is made out of plastic an it wears down in time, but with all being new an still in box's you will have many years before that will happen. the key to long life of it, is "grease", back in their day the only time customers would think about greasing their dish is when a problem would pop up.
but they where not bad dishes, they played pretty good.

My brother-in-law had this Radio Shack setup with the H to H motor! He maintained his well and had may years of service out of it. However the setup was no match for the John Deere combine that my dad was picking corn with! :eek:

No, it's not worth anything.... I'll drive my pickup over there and help you get rid of it :)
Damn, all new in the boxes!
It has been my experience with mine that grease tends to attract dirt which makes a good abrasive, I greased mine for 20 years and wore a groove into my big spur gear.

Here are some preliminary pics.

Receiver still wrapped up:

Other Box's from the kit:

I still have to get a pic of the actual dish which I believe is in a pretty big box in the garage. I ended up going to my parents house tonight and I knew that most of the box's were still in the basement so I figure I would take a couple of pics for everyone. I am still not sure if I am going to open up the box's or not but we'll see. I also thought this had a dual feed horn, but either I am confused or I was just flat out wrong. Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
The original system came with a Cal Amp (ADL knockoff RP1-C) C band feed horn. Great feedhorn :)

Last edited by a moderator:
cool post you should put it up, you can get a fta unit on ebay the prices are really cheap right now and or get a 4DTV unit also a DSR-922 go for 200-250 dollars i have both and you will have the best of both worlds fta and a sub like to see pictures of the dish also

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts