Rain/Cloud Fade requires 7.0B Software?

warkovision

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 30, 2004
I've been fighting fade issues now for two weeks. We got our first rain last night in L.A. and signal went down into the 40s. I called VOOM last night and they told me my problems were due to the fact that I didn't have the new software. They recommended my putting my STBs in standby mode before I went to bed. I went into the system status and saw that my current ver. was 6.20 but that I wasn't targeted yet for the new one. Can what the CSR said be even remotely correct? I don't see how a newer software version could help me with this lack of reception problem. Right now it's partly cloudy and my signal strength is 72. Anything below 70 and I lose everything! :(

Sounds like your dish needs to be re-peaked. Do you have a clear LOS?
And no, 7.0b will not improve your signal, if you already have 6.20.

warkovision said:
I've been fighting fade issues now for two weeks. We got our first rain last night in L.A. and signal went down into the 40s. I called VOOM last night and they told me my problems were due to the fact that I didn't have the new software. They recommended my putting my STBs in standby mode before I went to bed. I went into the system status and saw that my current ver. was 6.20 but that I wasn't targeted yet for the new one. Can what the CSR be even remotely correct? I don't see how a newer software version could help me with this lack of reception problem. Right now it's partly cloudy and my signal strength is 72. Anything below 70 and I lose everything! :(

This is my first rain or even full overcast day in the L.A. area since having Voom. I have flipped between OTA and satellite and haven't seen any drop outs or pixelation. Everything looks as good as any other day for me. I am not sure that the "rain fade" isn't just a matter of a bad installation from day one, but I guess Voom as somewhat blamed it on the smaller dishes. I find that odd as the dish is the same size as any other I have had and never experiences signal loss before with E*, so why would the Voom dish be any different. I will monitor throughout today as I may be premature in my findings.

My signal is completely gone as of this Sunday am at 7:00am. Voom will send out a tech MOnday whidch doesn't do me ANY good for Sunday shows. This is the 4-5th time I've lost sig. I'm around L.A.

Note, that your "rain-fade" may be caused by improper installation (e.g. missing drip loop, non-waterproof connections): water getting into cable connections.

I am in Sacramento, Ca and lost the satellite signal as of 7:30 PM PST. I noticed heavy pixelation before completly loosing the signal. Voom customer service told me that they have been getting an excessive number of calls from California customers since it started raining here. They have not figured out what the issue is ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)