Rain Fade with no Rain?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alvarez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Brownsburg, IN
NFL Network has beed MAJORLY broken up with no audio like it does during an extreme rain without losing signal completely. There is no rain and I thought perhaps D* is moving satelites around which could cause it. I switch to ESPN HD and it comes in just fine... alot of other channels as well come in great.

I am sure there are other channels that might be going out with NFL Network but I haven't seen any others. This is not a 24/7 problem though later on it was perfect with no interference at all.

Any ideas?

Maybe they are moving programing from one transponder to another, who knows. I watched for about 20 mins and never saw anything.

It happened on Monday during the day and Tuesday at night... It was fine last night and havent seen it today.

Perhaps it's an uplink problem from the NFL because it acts kind of weird at times on cable here.

Last night almost all the channels in the 200's were doing it at 8:20PM EST and the HD channels were just fine. Once again it looks just like a heavy rain and the picture looks like abstract art with no sound with blocks moving everywhere.

By 9:40 everything was fine again. (perhaps sooner but we through in a DVD heh)

Just a thought, but I think sometimes distant storms in your signal path can cause this. I've had it happen on more than one occasion. Heavy thunderstorms 20 mile to the south of me caused breakup during the MTV rebroadcast of Live 8. I was frantically looking for the cause of the problem and eventually gave up. An hour later the signal was fine.

Possible.. however its been pretty clear in Indiana on the days I had problems... heck we had a tornado on thursday night and I didn't lose signal at all lol... I prolly came closer to losing my roof.

billbillw said:
Just a thought, but I think sometimes distant storms in your signal path can cause this. I've had it happen on more than one occasion. Heavy thunderstorms 20 mile to the south of me caused breakup during the MTV rebroadcast of Live 8. I was frantically looking for the cause of the problem and eventually gave up. An hour later the signal was fine.

That was more than likely an issue in the transmission of the Live 8 feed and not the storms affecting you. Just mere coincidence. Storms that far off will not cause any issues, unless the lightning disrupts your power, but then that will be you entire home not just your DBS.

charper1 said:
That was more than likely an issue in the transmission of the Live 8 feed and not the storms affecting you. Just mere coincidence. Storms that far off will not cause any issues, unless the lightning disrupts your power, but then that will be you entire home not just your DBS.

When there is a rain close by but hasn't hit here yet I lose satellite so I know what he means... I actually have more probs losing satellite with the storm is near but not on me... I could be in a near hurricane and still have satellite.. *shrug*

One of my E* sats (61.5 - VOOM) would drop from a signal level of 102 down to less than 50 during bad weather (not necessarily poor weather) and mysteriously drop to a lesser extent during clear weather conditions. I noticed E* had installed a brand new Dish 500 and twin LNB at 110/119, but they had recycled a no-brand dish and dual LNB from a previous job. The old antenna appeared to be out-of-round and bent inward at the top. Not sure if this applies to your situation, but it may be worth taking a look.

charper1 said:

It was the storms. I lost all the 101 satellite channels for a short period. They were major thunderstorms 10-15 miles to the south of me.

Rain fade actually doesn't usually happen when the storm is directly over you. Your satellite doesn't look straight up. Instead, it looks out towards and above the horizon at some varying degree. If there is a storm cell between your dish and the satellite large enough to block a signifiacant amount of signal, you'll suffer from rain fade.

I am not saying straight up or rain falling direct, the 15 - 20 miles sure is a long way. I would say they were much closer or the dish must have a weak signal to begin with.

Yes not to many hurricanes in Indy... however my wifes family goes thru hades in florida :(

Signal has been great lately... *shrug* I really think its more of a D* thing... I get constant 90's on all 3 satellites and I think its 110 nails 100 most the time.

So with rain fade the northern climates will suffer more than the southern climates. Because in the north our dish is pointed closer to the horizon and has to travel through more atmosphere than at a southern location where your dish would be pointed more in a upward direction.

Is this an accurate assumption?? Is this why in a puney little rain storm i still get fade and lost signal even though on a clear day i get: 101' =92% 110'=92% and 119'=95%

Happened this morning around 10AM-11AM and it is a PERFECT clear beautiful day... I was working out and ESPN was talking all baseball (ugh)

Turn to NFL Network and its all choppy and audio breaking up.

Ok new events... I contacted D* because I noticed when the blocking and audio drops was happening it was not happening on the other receivers in the house... They are all SD boxes and this is an HTL-HD Hughes box... Thing is it only happens at certain times and its only on SD channels... my HD channels are clear as can be.

They had me move the box and see if the problem was still there... I did and the box was fine... I moved it back and it was blocking again.

They said it was either the LNB or the MultiSwitch... it just puzzles them why it would happen at certain times.. They sent a guy out this morning and he replaced the multiswitch and we shall see how it goes...

Yee Haw. heh

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)