Rain Fade

Still waiting for the Tech today, will give them one last shot at it then I will contact Echostar. It is just a shame that when you are paying top buck for service, you don't get it. I am a new subscriber and signed up for HD gold, my bill is approx. $100.00 a month, my upfront fees were $200, and my first bill for 2 mo was $245. and a get what! If they knew they were going to have problems with signals in my area why did'nt they put the 2 dishes up on the install. Another thing is the small size of this dish 1000 compared to my son super dish, he does not have any problems and lives 2 blocks away from me. The Techs that did the original install and the one that came back a week ago to replace all the LLBs, all bad mouthed the super dish stating it was a piece of crap. All I know is other people in my area have the larger dish and don't have problems.

Another thing on the original install, I had to make a fuss for them to replace the cable in the house, that runs to the receivers, etc. said the cable from Direct was good enough, I said I want it replaced, there were all kind of splices in it. Well they did replace all but the one that runs off the 622 receiver to the 2nd TV. Well guess what I get a terrible picture on that set. I will try to get the Tech to run a new line to that set today, say a prayer for me! It can't be hooked to the digital signal connector in the back of the set, I have to hook it up to analog to get a picture and it is just not sharp and clear like my other TV's. Bye the way this is a brand new set so I don't see the problem being with the TV, just replaced the old one because of the picture, still have it with the new one. Ergo I feel that it must be the old line, I just don't know.

Which is better to email my complaint to Echostar or to telephone them?

Call them..The tech is getting paid to run new cable whether the home needs it or not..99 times out of 100 ther existing lines are good...exceptions:....If the cable is RG-6 but not sweep tested to at least 2250 mhz..That stuff can be used but when the job is completed the results would show up bad right away....That is if the cable is inadequate...Otherwise it's usable with no problems.Other exceptons: If the cable is real old, I'll run new..OR>>>>>If there is more than one barrel splice..After that there's too much db loss..In an install with HD, I want as little sig loss as possible....
Seems like the line of sight was a little shaky....In that case I'm optioning for a two dish solution...Understand this however, there are some areas that cannot "see" the 61.5 sat..In that case the D-1000 is the only option....
Super Dish wasnt a POS..But it was a pain in the ass to install because of the weak sigs on the 121 and 105....I found away to tweak a SD to gain signal strength without significantly degrading the sigs on the other sats......I have not tried a D-500 pointed at the 110/119 and a standalone for the 129..If I need a two dish solultion it is becuase the 129 is no line of sight..The tech is correct..There is no HD reception solution using a super dish..Oh I am sure some have tried modifying an Super dish but I have neither the time now the inclination to do so......that is something I would try if it was a job I was doing privately for soemone who had contacted me directly..But on a Dish service work order?...No way...

Well the Tech just left, said he could not find anything wrong! As to the run to the 2nd TV off of the 622 HD receiver he states that I would get a better quality picture if I had a seperate receiver. My quiry is when I signed up for the service Dish only wanted to give me two recievers to begin with for 4 TV's. I guess that means I would have had poor reception on two TV's now. Well I pay for three, and I don't want to pay for anymore.

My only recourse is to file a complaint with Echostar now!

Bye the way I had pixels on the one TV today, it's raining, and earlier when I ran a scan I got red for 129 and 119, green only for 110. I mentioned it to the Tech today, and at the time he was here everything was fine. I tried to get him to run a new line to the 2nd TV, but he said it would not make any difference. I said that there had to be a barrel splice from the line running from the 622 receiver to where the orignal insaller tapped into my old cable run, and that I have been told that every time that is done you loose some quality. No new line, no increase in quality of picture, and I don't know what I have waiting for me with the next snow or rain storm. I feel right now that I should have stayed with Direct TV, should have never purchased any HDTV's, I am very upset with this whole matter.

Exec resolution team

Well the Tech just left, said he could not find anything wrong! As to the run to the 2nd TV off of the 622 HD receiver he states that I would get a better quality picture if I had a seperate receiver. My quiry is when I signed up for the service Dish only wanted to give me two recievers to begin with for 4 TV's. I guess that means I would have had poor reception on two TV's now. Well I pay for three, and I don't want to pay for anymore.

Bye the way I had pixels on the one TV today, it's raining, and earlier when I ran a scan I got red for 129 and 119, green only for 110. I mentioned it to the Tech today, and at the time he was here everything was fine. I tried to get him to run a new line to the 2nd TV, but he said it would not make any difference. I said that there had to be a barrel splice from the line running from the 622 receiver to where the orignal insaller tapped into my old cable run, and that I have been told that every time that is done you loose some quality. No new line, no increase in quality of picture, and I don't know what I have waiting for me with the next snow or rain storm. I feel right now that I should have stayed with Direct TV, should have never purchased any HDTV's, I am very upset with this whole matter.

It is time to contact ceo@echostar.com. You have suffered thru an installer that is lazy and doesn't want to do what it takes to get the job done right. Contact them and get them to send someone else out to fix the problems, that this one will not address. You have an install that has not been working right from the start and need to have it fixed before condemning the E*. In fact if you get someone else out and it is fixed well then you may lodge a complaint about the installer and maybe it will have to start asking ppl if they want frys w/ that burger.

Ok just to ask. You say the picture quality on the 2nd tv is poor. Is it poor as in it's snowy and fuzzy, or is it poor in the fact it's not an S-video or RCA direct connection?

It is time to contact ceo@echostar.com. You have suffered thru an installer that is lazy and doesn't want to do what it takes to get the job done right. Contact them and get them to send someone else out to fix the problems, that this one will not address. You have an install that has not been working right from the start and need to have it fixed before condemning the E*. In fact if you get someone else out and it is fixed well then you may lodge a complaint about the installer and maybe it will have to start asking ppl if they want frys w/ that burger.

Unless you know what your talikng about I suggest you shut your damn mouth with that would you like frys with that comment. Now with bad picture quality on the 622 number two, try changing the modulated signal to that tv, 99% of the time this can be corrected this way.

Just got off the telephone with Dish 1-866-443-5162 said they would send another Tech out to check the 2nd line, etc.. I do not hold to much hope that my problems will be resolved to my satisfaction, just because what the Dish complaint person, Eddy, said. States that the 2nd run out of the 622 receiver is just analog signal, thats means I will probably not get much better reception, although there are 2 splices in the run to the 2nd TV so it may improve somewhat, I forgot that I have a wall outlet for the cable, which would be the sencond splice.

Hopefully it will be a Dish Tech, but I won't bet the farm on it! This has not been a very good experience! Mentioned to the Dish complaint desk that I should have 2 dishes, one for 129 and another for 110/119, but I didn;t get anykind of rise out of him for that.

The only recourse I will have after this, if I still have problems with the signal, etc. is that in Pennsylvania we have a Consumer Protection Office with the State Attorney General. Where a citizen can file a complaint as a consumer against a company and the State will investigate and can have a hearing with binding results. I would hope that this never has to take place.

It is tuned to 73, when the tech came today he switched it to 65, no change then he went to 120, if I remember right, did not see any diference. It is now back on 73.

The picture is not a sharp clear pic it is got like a haze to it, on the back of the set it is hooked up with an rca cable to the analog hook up, tried the digital hookup but did not get any signal. Thats what the TV projected on the set up screen, but when I screwed it back into the analog it would set up, the Tech today did the same thing.

Point number one....The tech was derelict in his duty for not resolving the poor picture issue on tv 2..This is usually an easy fix....I choose the lowest channel that is the farthest from any broadcast channel in your area....For example..in this DMA there is a ch 18 and the next is ch30..So I set the tv 2 output to channel 24...Lower channel number lower freqency, less interference potential..You can do this your self.....Easy..Menu/ 6/ select, 1/ select then 5/ select..you'll see a modulator selectiopn..set it to a low channel(AIR).. then select "done".....Go to the tv 2 and set it to match that channel..The tech should have done this himself..I'll get to that later...
After reading the second paragraph I see two courses of action....If you want to stay with dish, my advice is to call cust service..As soon as the CSR gets on the phone tell them immediately you want to speak to Winback because you are completely dissatisfied with the service you are getting and you want to cancel.
Tell the winback CSR what has occurred and that you are thinking of returning to DTV....That should start a process where a field service manager will visit you and fix all the problems....The other choice for dish is to lose a customer..If you cancel due to poor service and it's documented they will not backcharge you for early cancellation....They can't..If the service is inaqdequate Dish is not fulfilling theirr end of the contract....You have rights..

Now back to the matter of the tech....IMO he should be fired..If he worked for me, he'd be history..No questions asked..I would not tolerate laziness..and this guy saw the low signals and didn't even have the decency to try to repeak the dish?!! What a schmuck! People like that should be run out of the business ..If it looks like I'm a bit pissed about this, youre correct....I am just sick of the shoddy work doen by some of my fellow techs..This garbage makes all of us look bad and makes people think twice before buying a system..That means less work for us and less food on my table...
Good luck..Keep us posted...

Last edited:
Agree 100%

I used to own an A.V satellite biz so I agree with the guy who still runs a sat biz. As far as the guy that got upset when I said the bad tech should be asking do I you want frys w/ that then TOUGH. When I ran my biz I would not have tolerated this happening more than 3 times then the tech would have been told to go to the burger joint and apply there cause I would no longer be using him. Fool me once shame on you, twice shame on me, 3 times it is time for the shop to do something extreme. That means the tech should go or the biz should go. So check the mother hen feelings at the door as far as I'm concerned. Bad techs give us all a bad name. :cool:

To add to the above post. Your tv is setup to receive Cable at this moment. With it set at 73 that is the lowest and strongest signal. If this is not a good enough picture, you can try setting it to channel 21 and see if that is better. The thing is you will have to go into menu 6 - 1 - 5 and change the modulator to Air and then channel 21. You will then have to switch the tv tuner to receiver Air or antenna signals.

I don't think this will help any as channel 73 cable and 21 air have about the same strength. So it is probably a cable issue, I would suspect a poor connection some place in the line.

To Everyone Who Does Not Know What They Are Talking About! Mod Channel 73 Is The Best Channel For Tv2 Unless It Is Diplixed Then Mod Channel 21 Is The Best. Tv 2 Is Always Not As Good As If A Reciever Is With This Tv. I Do Not Care What You Do To The Tv,cable, Or Whatever Else This Picture Just Is Not As Good. Too All You Guys Ripping On These Installers How Do You Know What Is Really Happening At This Guys Home. It Sounds Like To Me You Could Give This Guy A Millon Dollars And He Would Complain That It Was All In Large Bills. I Can Bet You All A Millon That If The Tv 2 Cable Was To Be Replaced It Would Make No Difference To Tv2. Complain Complain Then Cancel

To Everyone Who Does Not Know What They Are Talking About! Mod Channel 73 Is The Best Channel For Tv2 Unless It Is Diplixed Then Mod Channel 21 Is The Best. Tv 2 Is Always Not As Good As If A Reciever Is With This Tv. I Do Not Care What You Do To The Tv,cable, Or Whatever Else This Picture Just Is Not As Good. Too All You Guys Ripping On These Installers How Do You Know What Is Really Happening At This Guys Home. It Sounds Like To Me You Could Give This Guy A Millon Dollars And He Would Complain That It Was All In Large Bills. I Can Bet You All A Millon That If The Tv 2 Cable Was To Be Replaced It Would Make No Difference To Tv2. Complain Complain Then Cancel
Only installers who do poor work get ripped here....
I am getting sick and tired of techs who leave jobs without completing them..If there is a poor picture on tv 2 and the tech leaves, he is derelict in his duty because the job IS NOT complete....If the pic went bad AFTER he left, no harm no foul.. The cust will call for a service visit and we Just go back and fix it..Simple..
I am well aware there are customers that no one can please..They will whine about everything..These people get less than my best efforts..I don't care..If they think we are miracle workers or we are their hired help for the day they can stick it...
There is no excuse for poor work..Period..

Wow...that's hard to read.

The Techs showed up on Thursday, the same ones that did this original install, they ran a cable line from the 622 receiver to TV2, did not really make any difference. But now we know that don't we! Then they modulated the signal and there some improvement in the picture, I know that I have to live with that, things will not get any better than that.

As to the rain fade problems the Tech said the only thing that may help in the future is to have another dish for 61.5 for HD, that this should help with the rain fade. We will deal with that issue if I continue to have issues.

As to me never being satisfied, or being a complainer that is not true!!!!
First of all Dish never told me about the analog signal on Tv2's off of a receiver, I did not expect the poor quality, but now I have to live withg what I got. I feel that if you pay for something than there is a reasonable expectation to get what you pay for. I can't say that Dish is living up to this, we will see what happens as time goes by, and if I continue to have problems with the rain fade.

I still think that the Dish 1000 is not doing a stellar job, in fact I heard from the one Tech that there is somesort of new Dish in the works right now.

Whatever happened to the old saying that the customer is allways right, because you see if it was not for the paying customers there would not be a Dish network, or subcontractors working for Dish. And what wrong with expecting knowledgable, capable, customer oriented people working for Dish and performing the services that are needed. For those people who take offense to that, you had better start looking for another job, because you see we don't want you and sooner or later Dish will tell you to take a hike too!! Because the bottom line is without satisfied customers, and getting a bad reputation, their customer base will shrink, and let's face it they are in it for the money.

By the way give me the million, in what ever denominations, I will pay the taxes on it, and I won't complain!!!!

What's expected

The Techs showed up on Thursday, the same ones that did this original install, they ran a cable line from the 622 receiver to TV2, did not really make any difference. But now we know that don't we! Then they modulated the signal and there some improvement in the picture, I know that I have to live with that, things will not get any better than that.

As to the rain fade problems the Tech said the only thing that may help in the future is to have another dish for 61.5 for HD, that this should help with the rain fade. We will deal with that issue if I continue to have issues.

As to me never being satisfied, or being a complainer that is not true!!!!
First of all Dish never told me about the analog signal on Tv2's off of a receiver, I did not expect the poor quality, but now I have to live withg what I got. I feel that if you pay for something than there is a reasonable expectation to get what you pay for. I can't say that Dish is living up to this, we will see what happens as time goes by, and if I continue to have problems with the rain fade.

I still think that the Dish 1000 is not doing a stellar job, in fact I heard from the one Tech that there is somesort of new Dish in the works right now.

Whatever happened to the old saying that the customer is allways right, because you see if it was not for the paying customers there would not be a Dish network, or subcontractors working for Dish. And what wrong with expecting knowledgable, capable, customer oriented people working for Dish and performing the services that are needed. For those people who take offense to that, you had better start looking for another job, because you see we don't want you and sooner or later Dish will tell you to take a hike too!! Because the bottom line is without satisfied customers, and getting a bad reputation, their customer base will shrink, and let's face it they are in it for the money.

By the way give me the million, in what ever denominations, I will pay the taxes on it, and I won't complain!!!!

Tell me when you are watching TV 2 what is the problem with the picture. Is it better when watching an HD show or not. What kind of Tv are you using on the #2. Describe some of the image problems you are seeing. You have griped about the quality but have not given us much info on what it looks like such as fuzzy or still pixelated or out of focus or bad color. Be more detailed in the explanation and maybe we can tell you something that will help. If you think that we are being overly critical I'm sorry but you continue to tell us how bad it is but what bad means really hasn't be described to us. I have a 20" SD in my back room and for a SD it looks pretty good on most things. Also what ch is it transmitting on and what local channels are transmitted in your area. Are by chance close to one of the stations in the area. There are many things that could lead to reduced quality. Ghosting could be caused by a line in the system being hooked in but having nothing connected to it meaning it could be having a local station leaking into the system. To end this you need to give us as many little details about your system that you can tell us.

The TV2 is an RCA 27" HDTV, Flat Screen, Digital, the model number of the TV is HD27F54T, this is a brand new TV, I had a 20" breaksonic in there and had the same problems. So I figured that the TV was junk, and bought a new one thinking I wouyld have a better quality picture. Yes the quality of the picture while watching an HD channel,9400 series, is 100% better than the other channels. The images on the other channels are not as crisp, sharp, they seem to have a haze to them, maybe even a little color around the people. I can go into my bedroom where I have a cheap 20" Samsung TV and the 311 receiver, and that picture is crisp, clear, sharp, it make the new 27" TV look like junk on the picture quality, sharp clear vivid picture. I am not close to any transmission towers for any locals and there are no microwave towers in my area that I know of. My locals are 12, 24, 35, 54, & 66, at the present I receive them over the dish off of 129. When the Tech was here yesterday and he did the modulation, he got the best picture setting it to channel 90, instead of 73, I know that does'nt sound right, but thats what was done. He could not go below 20 or 21, it the 622 receiver would not let him.

I appreciate any assistance that you can give me, I do not know anything about
satellites or dish or direct TV thats why I came to this site in the first place. I read the posts, and saw the for the most part there are knowledgeable people who are concerned and dedicated and wanting to help. I am here to ask for help and guidance, and to learn. I don't need some nitwit trying to paint me as some kind of trouble maker or whatever. I treat people the way I want to be treated, I think they call it the Golden Rule. I have lived my life by that, you can never go wrong! You did not need to here that, but I had to say it. Again thank you for your concern, much appreciated.

Getting to the core of the problem

The TV2 is an RCA 27" HDTV, Flat Screen, Digital, the model number of the TV is HD27F54T, this is a brand new TV, I had a 20" breaksonic in there and had the same problems. So I figured that the TV was junk, and bought a new one thinking I wouyld have a better quality picture. Yes the quality of the picture while watching an HD channel,9400 series, is 100% better than the other channels. The images on the other channels are not as crisp, sharp, they seem to have a haze to them, maybe even a little color around the people. I can go into my bedroom where I have a cheap 20" Samsung TV and the 311 receiver, and that picture is crisp, clear, sharp, it make the new 27" TV look like junk on the picture quality, sharp clear vivid picture. I am not close to any transmission towers for any locals and there are no microwave towers in my area that I know of. My locals are 12, 24, 35, 54, & 66, at the present I receive them over the dish off of 129. When the Tech was here yesterday and he did the modulation, he got the best picture setting it to channel 90, instead of 73, I know that does'nt sound right, but thats what was done. He could not go below 20 or 21, it the 622 receiver would not let him.

I appreciate any assistance that you can give me, I do not know anything about
satellites or dish or direct TV thats why I came to this site in the first place. I read the posts, and saw the for the most part there are knowledgeable people who are concerned and dedicated and wanting to help. I am here to ask for help and guidance, and to learn. I don't need some nitwit trying to paint me as some kind of trouble maker or whatever. I treat people the way I want to be treated, I think they call it the Golden Rule. I have lived my life by that, you can never go wrong! You did not need to here that, but I had to say it. Again thank you for your concern, much appreciated.

It is coming more clear as to what is happening now. The new TV looks better on HD than on SD. This is telling me that the NTSC tuner in the new HDTV is only so so(as was the old set that was going bad). What mode do you use the 622 in? Is it single or dual? I ask to find out it it would be possible to run a non RF modulated line to the TV. If you can watch the same thing in both the bdrm as the main room then you can run HDMI on the main set and say a set of component to the BR (if not to far away) then you will by pass the NTSC tuner altogether. If you are in dual and have to have a different show on both of the units then maybe run the S-video & audio out to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)