Rain*X on your dish and LNB ?

PSB said:
Guess you missed this one Damaged :) Maybe you were busy harassing the bereaved again (Last time you were banned for 3 days)

I know who I would be taking my satellite advice from :)

Actually, that is incorrect, I _was_ banned for 3 days, but the ban was raised after ~1 day, as the original complainant was not upset, and in fact, I PM'd the complainant (Bob Haller) and apologized afterwards, so Scott saw no reason to continue it, besides, the ban was for flaming, which I am not doing now. What _that_ has to do with _this_, I have no idea. FWIW, I was perfectly fine with the 3 days, because I knew I deserved it. and, I voiced that fact to LER and Scott

It seems you are saying if someone bad-mouths any product any gold sponser sells, they will be banned? Or am I reading too much into it, if so, apologies.

If that is what you are inferring, please let us know so we can all make sure we never bad-mouth any product on any gold sponsers site, because, I did my darndest to look at the Satguys forum rules for where it states that doing so is a bannable offense, at least I can't find it anywhere.

Also, I posted to this about Rain-X, it was you who brought the other product into the thread, not I.

It also is apparent that you have something against me personally, as I am not the only one here denying the claims, yet I am the only one you threaten, why is that?

:)

Of course, I can't stop you from banning my username (for something which is not listed in your forum rules btw), and

I assume you will be banning me, but is that the statement you really want to make?

As for the NASA it states the issue is the FEED, not the antenna end, where loss was almost immeasurable (like 3-5db)., which is NOT enough to SOLVE rainfade.

Scott Greczkowski said:
That's what I thought, I thought this was the biggest scam going... until I saw it for myself and tried it for myself.

I realy does work. (I was SHOCKED!)

While it won't protect you from Rain in the Atmosphere it does work for rain or snow hitting the dish.

I would love to video tape their demo and put it up for all to see. Again I did not believe it until I saw it with my own eyes.

Thanks Scott :)

damaged said:
It seems you are saying if someone bad-mouths any product any gold sponser sells, they will be banned? Or am I reading too much into it, if so, apologies.
This product is not a sponsor of the site, just reporting my finding on the product.

As I said I was a heavy sceptic when I first heard of it, not anymore.

Again I have not been paid one red cent to say that nor have I even got a free can of the product. Don't ask me how it works but it works. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
This product is not a sponsor of the site, just reporting my finding on the product.

As I said I was a heavy sceptic when I first heard of it, not anymore.

Again I have not been paid one red cent to say that nor have I even got a free can of the product. Don't ask me how it works but it works. :D

FWIW, I never stated that anyone was receiving any kind of payments, or kickbacks, nor was anyones honesty or credibility being brought to question by me, and I sure as hell cannot blame you or anyone else defending a product, for whatever reason, if they want to.

I am just stating what many others in this thread have stated, some may believe us, some may not, if the product really does work, than people will buy it, no matter what I, or anyone else says.

Just that I am wondering why _I_ am being singled out, when others share the same view.

Look, the last thing I want to do is give you problems, I really have been making an effort to not be the flamebaiter I was with Mr. Haller, but when I see 4 lights, and someone tells me to say there are 3, I will always say "there are four lights".

If you feel the negative comments on the product are detremental to you or your site, you of course have the power to simply delete the threads in question, and I would not say a word, since like I said, I am not here to give you problems.

Peace.

Every time this subject comes up i can't help but thing of a c-band satellite magazine that I used to subscribe to 10 or 15 years ago. In every issue they would review a product. Once a year they would review a product from a company called Lirpa Loof. It was usually something like RF goggles, that let you "see" the RF on the surface of your dish, so that you could align it properly. The next month the letters to the editor was always filled with requests on how to get these wonderfull products and how nobody could find them for sale or even a mention of where the company was located. Then there would be a note from the editor that Lirpa Loof was April Fool spelled backward. :D

P.S. Scott: I saw David Copperfield make the Statue of Liberty dissappear with my own eyes too. :D :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
That's what I thought, I thought this was the biggest scam going... until I saw it for myself and tried it for myself.

I realy does work. (I was SHOCKED!)

While it won't protect you from Rain in the Atmosphere it does work for rain or snow hitting the dish.

I would love to video tape their demo and put it up for all to see. Again I did not believe it until I saw it with my own eyes.
Scott,
If you do demo it, show the signal strength of your dry dish. Spray it with water and show the signal strength again. My uneducated guess would be the only drop in signal would be when the stream of the garden hose passes in front of the LNB and 0% degradation of water droplets on a dish treated or not.
Prove us Doubting Thomas's wrong. :)

so what does it do then?? I have issues with cloud fade (as do alot of us) screwing up the system. It may not rain near me but due to dark clouds going south of me (and only having a 30 elevation for Dish and 38 max for my True South FTA satellite) will totally screw up the signal.

I don't doubt that it does "work" in the sense that rain/water beads up on it and falls off of the dish, and that there is no water sheeting on the dish surface after treatment.

But this is no different than if the dish surface were treated with Rain-X or a car wax or any of several other products. The same thing happens with them.

And as this is the only thing that Rain Shield can possible do, the effect on rain fade would have to be essentially the same.

As I've posted before in this thread, and others on the same topic over the past year, I'm am willing to accept that it might help a little. In those cases where the rain fade is the result of water sheeting on the dish or LNB, then it is possible that Rain-X, Rain Shield, car wax, etc., might help a bit.

But in the vast majority of cases of rain fade, it is due to the water in the air between the dish and the satellite, and thus none of these products could possibly have any effect on those cases.

Frequently at my house, I will lose signal about 5-10 minutes before it starts raining. Then after it starts raining, say after 3-5 minutes of rain, the signal will frequently come back during the middle of the rain storm as there is now less water between the dish and the satellite than there was before it started raining. Even if Rain Magic worked, what is it going to do, bring back my signal 1 minute earlier? So I can pay $26 to get a 9 minute outage instead of a 10 minute outage?

I see the tunes are changing slightly now :D

Yes Rain X works but washes off as does polish!

If you do not have Rain Fade issues of course the product is not needed!

Water droplets on your dish and LNB fragment Ku signals scattering them in different directions hence lower signals. If your dish and LNBF are BONE dry this does not happen thus one part of the RAIN fade equation is eliminated :)

There have been SIDE BY SIDE tests done and documented, but the real proof of the pudding is the actual users reports!

Just trying my best to enlighten the members, I do not sell it! But I thought that was why we were all here to help each other out. If you have RAIN fade problems this product does indeed work! As EVERYONE who has witnessed it FIRST HAND has seen!

I agree a documented side by side test is in order here! Will try to make it happen ASAP, so that the members here can at last have one tool in their arsenal to combat Rain Fade!

Iceberg (SatelliteGuy of the year) has now coated several of his dish with this wonder product , as I always say!

LET IT RAIN!

I wish we could get a few samples and send them to one or two of the doubters. It really does work!

I did not believe it myself until I saw it myself. I was blown away.

Iceberg (SatelliteGuy of the year) has now coated several of his dish with this wonder product , as I always say!

LET IT RAIN!
yep. Lets see what happens next time really dark clouds roll in to the south and it starts raining.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
In this time of the year we have scattered showers in the afternoon just about everyday. Sometimes it never even drops a bit of water in my yard! But maybe it rained a bit down the road. I can walk out and see the huge nasty black cloud just south of me. The reason I walked outside? I started seeing a few dropouts on the satellite receiver. How is this product going to help when my dish is dry in the first place?

I can understand a 5% improvement when the dish is wet since less water is on the dish. I can't see how it prevents rainfade problems when I have problems when there is no rain. I will agree that it is also snake-oil for rain. It should be marketed as a "snow fade" product only.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I wish we could get a few samples and send them to one or two of the doubters. It really does work!

I did not believe it myself until I saw it myself. I was blown away.

Samples can be arranged ;)

I'm wondering...

If you see a problem when you spray water on your dish, is the water from a well?
or maybe very chemical treated city water?? Or are you or the hose in the signal path?

Impurities, such as iron or lead could be causing the effect you are seeing. Since the actual, plain, water itself has NO effect on microwaves. (You have to create many hundreds of watts of microwave energy before a microwave 'oven' will even work.)

pabeader said:
Since the actual, plain, water itself has NO effect on microwaves. (You have to create many hundreds of watts of microwave energy before a microwave 'oven' will even work.)

Incorrect as anyone in the florida can atest to when the dew point gets very high. I fight the battle nightly in the Summer with 82W and 148W. I have had extensive discussions about it with the top commercial uplinkers in the state and its a known fact.

The water will absorb energy. Put a bunch of water in the air and the energy is absorbed prior to getting to your dish.

Put your microwave dinner in a large bucket of water and see how fast it cooks in a microwave.

And if you think about it, if your statement was correct, we would NEVER see a cloud out or a rain fade as "water would have no effect" on the microwaves.

Do I think that wax or RainX would do the same as the miracle can? Most likely, but anything that gets the water off the dish effeciently will accomplish literally the same thing. How it will hold up in ultraviolet conditions and over long hard winters is another issue.

Last edited:
pabeader said:
There is, of course, the little fact that in the air the signal is passing through, miles of water. Not fractions of millimeters.
Can we say "water vapor" instead? I'd hate to think of "miles of water" overhead, not unless I'm a fish;)

If you want to get a feel for how much water is in the atmosphere during a thunderstorm, the Wunderground weather site has a "vertically integrated liquid" feature on their NEXRAD imagery and the scale ranges from 1 - 70 Kg/m². Of course, it's a pretty quiet day today, so there isn't a good NEXRAD site to point people to, but usually along the Gulf coast is a safe bet this time of year.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the demo I have seen of the King's Rain Shield at the Satellite Expo 2005 in memphis:

IMHO, the best solution for Rain Fade is a bigger dish. But, if you want to just stick with the dish you have and want to reduce your dish rain fade problem, this product is good. As the mfg says" While it does not prevent the reduction in signal due to excessive water in the atmosphere, it prevents rain on the dish and LNB from dropping the signal any further."

If you want to see more pictures of that expo, click here:
http://sadoun.com/Sat/eXPO/Satellite-Expo-2005.htm

Attachments

• Satellite-Show%20(82).JPG
    Satellite-Show%20(82).JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Sadoun said:
IMHO, the best solution for Rain Fade is a bigger dish. But, if you want to just stick with the dish you have and want to reduce your dish rain fade problem, this product is good. As the mfg says" While it does not prevent the reduction in signal due to excessive water in the atmosphere, it prevents rain on the dish and LNB from dropping the signal any further."

I've been accepting this statement from the start. "IF" your rain fade is due to water on the dish/LNB, then this product (and others like it) could help.

Problem is for me, and many others, is that water on the dish is not the source of most of our rain fades. Even if this product worked exactly as advertised, I estimate that at best it would eliminate 5%-10% of my rain fades. I've had rain fades that stopped once the storm got close enough to start raining on my house.

Now if you live somewhere where you don't get intense thunderstorms, or you get a lot of "semi-heavy" rains, or you are in the far south where your dish is pointing up at a steeper angle so that you aren't looking "through" as much of the storm, then "IF" it works as advertised, it would have a greater positive effect.

I can say that applying Rain-X to my dish did help snow to slide off easier. I've done this for 2 of the 8 years I've had E*. But as I almost never get an outage from snow on the dish, I usually don't bother.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)