Rainbow Media Unveils DIVINE HD First Ever 24/7 High-Definition Gay Movie Channel Exc

Status
Not open for further replies.
rtt2 said:
In addition to the introductions, "HDivas" will present original entertainment segments featuring cabaret-style performances. Celebrated drag queens like Hedda Lettuce, Miss Understood and Miss Bettie will entertain viewers. Personalities including: Paris is Burning director, Jenny Livingston, award-winning author Gary Indiana, and renowned Village Voice journalist Michael Musto will provide commentary on the films, plus stand alone entertainment segments.

I never heard of any of these people, but I'm thinking of changing my name to Skip Channel.

cyuhnke said:
Overlooked demographic? E! MTV VH1 NBC BRAVO. And stop flaming :) calling people homophobes. Phobia means scared. The strategy goes you call people who think homosexuality is wrong a homophobe, implying that those people are gay themselves. The opinions expressed here have not been personal, they've been general. Let's let everyone give their opinion.
Makes perfect nonsense, give up bandwidth for the gay HD content when they could have added maybe 7 key SD channels that they are missing with that same amount of bandwidth? Again Dolan amazes me.

giving way to this just opens the door for more tomorrow. Today 1 pure Gay HD channel, tomorrow another, Gay content here and there. Besides the fact that it is wrong and immoral, having this channel opens the door for every other station / channel in the world to say "hey, you know those gay channels, they are getting good ratings, lets produce more Gay oriented content and show more Gay themed things since everyone is okay with it." If you don't stand up for what you believe in, you will be run over! I know I can lock it out or not watch, but soon I won't be able to watch anything. Like I said, 1 Gay HD channel today, tons more tomorrow.

with stretching things there can be good films there I.E. "ice station zebra" with Rock Hudson,besides the obvious ones,so it's no problem. as for taking away programming,Just sad you have to label everything or label it at all to get an audience.But one of the Movie channels does that too with a Black themed channel..Can't it just be action, adventure whatever,with stars that are Black without sub dividing it..At least for now we don't have a HD al-Jazerra "religion of peace" channel

Here's the quote from the article that sticks out at me:

"DIVINE HD is another prime example of Rainbow Media's innovation by being first-to-market in tapping new and fast growing niches."

This is BUSINESS

There are going to be some channels that don't interest you or even disgust you. Get over it people, everyone IS NOT the same.

They can only drive a BUSINESS if they have our MONEY. Make it a pay channel and I have no issue, VOOM is just the conduit. But my money paying for production and distribution as part of the general package is not going to happen. This opinion is not motivated by any hate, just a desire to keep a certain amount of morality in my home. You have the right to watch it, I have the right to not support it, simple as that. We can agree to disagree.

occammd said:
But my money paying for production and distribution as part of the general package is not going to happen.

So I guess you won't be watching any Viacom channels then....if you do you would be supporting and paying for production on LOGO.

move it to chit chat.

Yes that may be the case. I like nick kids and all, but after the CBS superbowl fiasco w/MTV I seriously considered it. That was as much for what they considered to be family time commercials as anything else.

Basically I'm tired of the downhill slide and I will not apologize for it. You have the option of supporting what you believe to be correct, I have the option of supporting what I believe to be correct. It is a democratic society, we'll see 10 years from now how it worked out. And no, I'm not extreme about it, there are plenty of tele-evangelists I wouldn't support as well.

I don't see this as a moral issue. I am not on one side or the other as far as that go's. I have my own beliefs/values and I am not gay. But I do believe that Voom is making a VERY VERY SMART business decision period. If some people can't handle this to bad for them. Go VOOM.

Seanb61 said:
I don't see this as a moral issue. I am not on one side or the other as far as that go's. I have my own beliefs/values and I am not gay. But I do believe that Voom is making a VERY VERY SMART business decision period. If some people can't handle this to bad for them. Go VOOM.

Is it a smart decision? Hummm. IMO, A very smart decision would have been to not put it up. There are more professed christians in the world than gay people, christian don't beleve in homosexuality, so why do something that could turn away any potential subs? Is it truly a smart decision?

To me, a smart business decision would be for Disney and Nick to divest back to independent companies focused on kids programming. I think the potential backlash from the superbowl type issues may prove this out over the next few years. I love to watch NICK w/my son, but supporting viacom is a sticky issue w/me. As well with some of Disney's companies.
Some people forget we still have the option of going out in the park and playng ball instead of watching TV to support viewpoints we disagree with, maybe I'll just be out in the pool.

Obviously, Voom knows more than most of us about marketing. This is good for them only if the channel attracts many more customers than it repels or forces out. I'm not going to cancel tommorrow b/c of this, but it is now on the list of reasons that I might cancel. And I don't think gay folks are going to sit through bad programming just because it's a gay-themed channel. Content, as always, will rule.

stucky_boss said:
Is it a smart decision? Hummm. IMO, A very smart decision would have been to not put it up. There are more professed christians in the world than gay people, christian don't beleve in homosexuality, so why do something that could turn away any potential subs? Is it truly a smart decision?

Your right this may turn away a few of the Christian's who just won't stand for this, but after LOGO launches what choice for TV is left for them??? All the services will carry LOGO and it will probably be in the basic lineup. Are these the same Christian's that failed in their attempt to boycott disney a few years ago? Again, the Christain's will not win this battle. Voom made a good Choice....Perhaps we should have all seen this coming, what with the RAINBOW VOOM logo.....lol

Seanb61 said:
Your right this may turn away a few of the Christian's who just won't stand for this, but after LOGO launches what choice for TV is left for them??? All the services will carry LOGO and it will probably be in the basic lineup. Are these the same Christian's that failed in their attempt to boycott disney a few years ago? Again, the Christain's will not win this battle. Voom made a good Choice....Perhaps we should have all seen this coming, what with the RAINBOW VOOM logo.....lol

Maybe Christians won't win this battle, but programming like this is a big issue. I don't know what christians will do about logo or devine, but I am concerned that everyone just being okay with it, and not speaking out against it will open the door for more. Not just TV programming but also gay marriage. As programming like this becomes more common place, so will the idea of gay marriage. Maybe you are for it, maybe not. It might not be a big deal to you today, but your kids or grand kids will definately have to deal with the consequences of this issues.

Heard a rumor about the primetime line up:

8pm The Rupaul Variety Hour

9pm The Ellen Degenerous Show

10pm Queer Eye for the Voom Guy

11pm All night Reruns of Too Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything

Tell the kids to tune in!!!!!!! Hahahahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts