Raising the dead

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

3puttbob

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 3, 2020
Antelope Valley, Ca.
Hi all
Have a 1990 , 3 meter C-band with a Mini Mag LNB on a Chapparel horn and a GI Innovation 450 i Receiver/Mover. After 20 years of non-op. I was in the mood to invoke life. All works but, when I try to move the dish it runs for 2 secs and says Actuator Error, Check wiring. I did that at the dish. The dish itself moves freely. I connected 12v to run the actuator to check end points and the limit switches work. Closest thing I can figure is when the screen shows the limit positions, The actual dish position shows ****. Can't figure that part out. Any suggestions on where to look?

Reactions: FTA4PA
Hi all
Have a 1990 , 3 meter C-band with a Mini Mag LNB on a Chapparel horn and a GI Innovation 450 i Receiver/Mover. After 20 years of non-op. I was in the mood to invoke life. All works but, when I try to move the dish it runs for 2 secs and says Actuator Error, Check wiring. I did that at the dish. The dish itself moves freely. I connected 12v to run the actuator to check end points and the limit switches work. Closest thing I can figure is when the screen shows the limit positions, The actual dish position shows ****. Can't figure that part out. Any suggestions on where to look?
Good to hear you want to give her purpose again. :) :thumbup
Perhaps a bad/stuck reed switch in the actuator. Check for opening/closing of switch using continuity setting on multi-meter while you use your 12v to move the actuator. If good, check for corroded/broken/disconnected pulse wire(s) between actuator and mover.

There's a disc with a contact on it with a sensor next to it. I connected a vom to the 2 wires and it was showing a spike every revolution.
Appears sensor is working. Check sensor wire connections to actuator and mover. If solid and no corrosion then check continuity of sensor wires between actuator to mover.

East West limits are set and show location #'s on screen. Just that present location is showing ****. I suspect it shuts down because it doesn't have a reference of where it currently is.???

Well, I took the wires out of the back, cut/stripped and reinstalled. I now have actuator control. As I flipped through all my old sat listings I see nothing is available. Just snow. I'm guessing there are no more analog sats and the only way to receive is to buy a digital receiver??

Well, I took the wires out of the back, cut/stripped and reinstalled. I now have actuator control. As I flipped through all my old sat listings I see nothing is available. Just snow. I'm guessing there are no more analog sats and the only way to receive is to buy a digital receiver??
Cspan ch7 at 131west(likely C3 in the receiver).The only analog channel left.
Oh,and,if the VCII box is still in the receiver,remove it and pitch it.It is of no use or value anymore.

Have satellites shifted that much in the past 20 years? Following the online satellite locator, the farthest West I can go before my original limit is 125 deg. West. To reach 131 W I would have to re-attach my actuator to allow more westerly movement.. Does that make any sense?

With an unobstructed view you should be able to get 55.5W ~ 139.0W = 84° of arc which your actuator should be able to handle if mounted properly. 20 years ago C Band subscription services were more grouped together. With FTA you want to cover as many satellites as you can because content is everywhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)