Raleigh HD Locals

Mine has Digital Service as well for CBS and FOX... I will try to force a new download...

Has anyone noticed the ABC (6465) is very Pixelated? 6467 (NBC) is clean but the quality of my ABC channel is poor. Signal level is reported around 80-82 for that transponder.

I wonder if it could be the difference in the dishes? I don't have a Dish 1000, so I can't get the locals in HD from E*. I have two Dish 500's mounted on the roof. The installer set me up that way because I have trees in the way and he said I'd get better signal with a dish pointed at each satellite rather than a single dish hitting each bird. Guess he didn't know, or didn't care, that Raleigh HD locals would be on 118 and require someone to come back out and set that up.

I wonder if it could be the difference in the dishes? I don't have a Dish 1000, so I can't get the locals in HD from E*. I have two Dish 500's mounted on the roof. The installer set me up that way because I have trees in the way and he said I'd get better signal with a dish pointed at each satellite rather than a single dish hitting each bird. Guess he didn't know, or didn't care, that Raleigh HD locals would be on 118 and require someone to come back out and set that up.

The Standard DISH500's won't receive 118 since there is a special LNB required for the 118 satellite.

The Standard DISH500's won't receive 118 since there is a special LNB required for the 118 satellite.
Yeah, I know. What I was saying is that I have the Dish500, and the local HD channels (that I'm getting OTA through the 622) show in the program guide with what's actually on rather than just displaying "digital service". Could that be because I have the Dish500 and not the Dish1000?

Yeah, I know. What I was saying is that I have the Dish500, and the local HD channels (that I'm getting OTA through the 622) show in the program guide with what's actually on rather than just displaying "digital service". Could that be because I have the Dish500 and not the Dish1000?

Actually, you would need the DISH500+ or DISH1000+ to receive the HD locals (ABC/NBC) on the Satellite. I did concur that I am only getting the NBC and ABC Guide info for the OTA channels whereas the CBS (005-01)and FOX HD (050-01) channels are only displaying 'Digital Service'. I expect that's because there is no corresponding HD programming via Satellite.

Last edited:
I think we're having two different conversations here! My post originally was in response to Virgilw asking if anyone else was having the guide display "Digital Service" for 005-01 and 050-01. I receive all the HD locals OTA through the 622 and I was saying that I don't have that problem. Then I proposed that the reason I don't have the problem is because I have a Dish500 system instead of the Dish1000 system. I don't know what type of system Virgilw has, so I was throwing it out there. I know the Dish1000 is required to get my locals in HD from Dish, but it's not required to get the local channel info to display for the OTA HD channels.

I think we're having two different conversations here! My post originally was in response to Virgilw asking if anyone else was having the guide display "Digital Service" for 005-01 and 050-01. I receive all the HD locals OTA through the 622 and I was saying that I don't have that problem. Then I proposed that the reason I don't have the problem is because I have a Dish500 system instead of the Dish1000 system. I don't know what type of system Virgilw has, so I was throwing it out there. I know the Dish1000 is required to get my locals in HD from Dish, but it's not required to get the local channel info to display for the OTA HD channels.

I understood what you were saying. My point was that you need the 500+ or 1000+ to get the locals in HD in the Raleigh market. The regular DISH1000 will NOT get you the locals in this market since it does not contain the 118 LNB.

I was also indicating to Virgilw that I am only getting the guide info for the HD mains locals (OTA) that I get via the Satellite feed (ABC/NBC) and not the channels that are not currently available in HD (WRAL/WRAZ) over Satellite for the OTA HD Channels. I was on the fence for a long time about getting the 500+ DISH to replace my DISH500 but with only 1 OTA tuner and many overlapping shows, the decision was made.

Mine has Digital Service as well for CBS and FOX... I will try to force a new download...

Has anyone noticed the ABC (6465) is very Pixelated? 6467 (NBC) is clean but the quality of my ABC channel is poor. Signal level is reported around 80-82 for that transponder.

Yes, my ABC feed from Dish (WTVD) is really poor. I tried to watch the New Years Eve programming on it and it was a really huge mess. Looked like a bad youtube video. With all of the lights and flashes it was really quite hilarious. I've sent a mail to dishquality (like that does any good).

As for the guide data going away for 5 and 50 OTA...
I kept it for a couple days and lost it again tonight. I did a reboot this time to recover the guide data.

Note that I have a 1000+ dish and a viP622. Everything is brand new as I'm a Dish subscriber for about three weeks now (was a long time DirecTivo user).

What is so very "interesting" about this problem is that it is ONLY for OTA channels 5 and 50. The other OTA guides are fine.

Yes, my ABC feed from Dish (WTVD) is really poor. I tried to watch the New Years Eve programming on it and it was a really huge mess. Looked like a bad youtube video. With all of the lights and flashes it was really quite hilarious. I've sent a mail to dishquality (like that does any good).

I think it had more to do with the signal that WTVD was sending out than it did DISH. I was watching the WTVD New Year's broadcast OTA and it was aweful...not even being shown in HD. Luckily, I have access to the ABC station in New York City (via D*) and same broadcast was in HD and looked awesome. It was defintely a local issue.

I think it had more to do with the signal that WTVD was sending out than it did DISH. I was watching the WTVD New Year's broadcast OTA and it was aweful...not even being shown in HD. Luckily, I have access to the ABC station in New York City (via D*) and same broadcast was in HD and looked awesome. It was defintely a local issue.

I can't say that I totally agree with that.... We were watching the Rose Bowl Parade and the Bowl games on New Year's Day and WTVD's OTA signal was sharp and clear and the Satellite version was badly pixelated....

I did notice that today the signal strength on Transponder 19 (WTVD's) was only 75 but even so, one would think that would be enough... Might be time for an email or call to DISH's Technical/Engineering group.

I had the same guide problem for 5 and 50 last night (been out of town for a week) and a Soft Reboot nor a Check Switch worked for me. I also checked this morning to see if the 3am download fixed it, it did not.
I too have the 1000+, and just thinking if I change the Local Channel mapping priority from HD to SD if that might help until DISH gets it straight.

Yeah, I'd like to blame WTVD for this one, but I can't report the same results. I had 011-01 (WTVD OTA HD) up at the same time (PIP and doing swaps frequently). The OTA signal was very sharp and the dish provided feed was just a total joke.

I had the same guide problem for 5 and 50 last night (been out of town for a week) and a Soft Reboot nor a Check Switch worked for me. I also checked this morning to see if the 3am download fixed it, it did not.
I too have the 1000+, and just thinking if I change the Local Channel mapping priority from HD to SD if that might help until DISH gets it straight.

Sometime between yesterday and today I lost my guide for these stations again. I'll try a reboot again in a bit to see if I can get them back.

Being totally new to Dish, does anyone know where one reports such problems? Is there an email address, web form, etc. or do I have to call a tech support drone and go through all of the motions to prove this problem exists before they totally ignore it?

I had to manually set the Timer to record CSI last night since I had no Guide info for 005-01. After it was over, I decided to mess with some settings.

I went into Local Channels (Menu-6-9) and changed the setting for Sat Locals from HD Priority to SD Only. I exited and guess what, nothing was playing or available on ANY channel. So, I went back to that setting and put it back to HD Priority.

Well, when I exited the menu, the whole 622 went into REBOOT. (I was recording ER at the time).

Needless to say, I had to restart the timer for ER, but the good news was my guide info for WRAL-HD and WRAZ-HD was back.

Not sure what caused it to re-appear...

At some point my data for 5 and 50 came back as well. It was nothing I did, as I tried reboots, check switches and anything else I could think of to no avail.
Maybe it was the next nights download, dunno.

I conversed with tech support at Dish about this issue.... guess what?
They essentially claim that none of us should be getting any guide data for any of the -01 channels. That some of us do get guide data, is an accident. I find this hilarious that I'm supposed to believe that the guide data for everyone's -01 channels is there by some kind of accidental software bug! I've also noticed recently that my guide data for 005-01 will come and go on it own. Sometimes it is there and sometimes it is not (spread across about 4 hours of time in the evenings). Also, I had a scheduled recording that went off when it was supposed to and recorded the show it was supposed to. However, in the DVR menu the recording was titled "Digital Service".

Here is the reply I got from Dish Tech Support when I asked about the randomly missing guide data for 005-01:

"Thank you for your e-mail. From what I understand, our receivers are not designed to pass through the PSIP data. With that in mind, you should not be getting guide data from any multi-cast channels.
You will see guide info from OTA digital channels only if DISH carries them, and if you subscribe to the local package through us. As we don’t carry the multi-cast channels, we don’t have that guide data.
We have had instances reported (similar to yours) where the PSIP data actually gets through the receiver and incorporated into the guide. However, because our software is not designed to support this, we currently cannot offer a way to fix this for the channels that do not display the information. I will go ahead and send in my report to the engineering team describing what we’ve discussed here to see if PSIP data is something that we may be able to support in the future.
I do realize that this hinders the ability to record from those channels. However, you can still set up manual timers without the need for an on screen guide.
To create a Manual Event Timer:..."

I call BS on Dish!! I've never, not a single time that I have looked, ever not had guide data on 005-01 or 050-01. I've had my 622 and a pair of Dish 500 dishes since June.

I get this same guide data on my dish 811 receiver. I don't currently receive the channels here, south of Wilmington. At the time I scanned in the locals, the signals were apparently skipping off some clouds and reaching me, perhaps 100 miles away. Wilmington locals I receive don't get guide data because Dish does not carry them.

I call BS on Dish!! I've never, not a single time that I have looked, ever not had guide data on 005-01 or 050-01. I've had my 622 and a pair of Dish 500 dishes since June.

Y
ou will see guide info from OTA digital channels only if DISH carries them, and if you subscribe to the local package through us. As we don’t carry the multi-cast channels, we don’t have that guide data.
If you sub the local sd channels you get guide info on the hd locals but not digital
sub channels.

We have had instances reported (similar to yours) where the PSIP data actually gets through the receiver and incorporated into the guide.
This is accurate.

YIf you sub the local sd channels you get guide info on the hd locals but not digital
sub channels.

The point being made up until now is that we ALL subscribe to the SD channels and now we subscribe to the HD locals with ABC and NBC (WRAL/WRAZ are currently not offered). The guide info comes in great for ABC and NBC on both the Satellite HD channels AND the OTA HD main channels, but now, the Guide data for the MAIN WRAL (CBS) and WRAZ(FOX) channels appear and disappear from the guide.

Usually a reboot will bring it back for a while, only for it to vanish a day later.... What this means is that setting NBR timers for the CBS HD OTA feed is pointless since there is a chance that it won't record since the guide info won't be there.