Ralph Houk dies at age 90

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Houk dies at 90; managed 2 champions

BOSTON -- The Boston Red Sox say former manager Ralph Houk has died. He was 90.

Red Sox spokesman Dick Bresciani says Houk died in Winter Haven, Fla., on Wednesday afternoon. The team heard from Houk's grandson, who lives in the Boston area. The cause of death was not immediately known.

Houk spent parts of eight seasons as a backup catcher for the New York Yankees, appearing in just 91 games. But he made his mark as a manager, managing 3,157 games and winning 1,619 over 20 seasons with the Yankees, Detroit Tigers and Red Sox.

He won the World Series in 1961 and '62 with the Yankees in his first two years as a manager, and won another AL pennant the next season.

R.I.P. Ralph

One of my favorite managers of all-time!! :(

He managed the Red Sox during the infamous Carlton Fisk/Fred Lynn/Rick Burleson mass exodus, and did an outstanding job despite the devoid of talent. It was then that I nicknamed him the Incredible Houk.

A true CLASS ACT!!!!

R.I.P. Ralph

He managed the Red Sox during the infamous Carlton Fisk/Fred Lynn/Rick Burleson mass exodus, and did an outstanding job despite the devoid of talent. It was then that I nicknamed him the Incredible Houk.

A true CLASS ACT!!!!

R.I.P. Ralph
I can only ditto everything you mentioned. R.I.P.

A true CLASS ACT!!!!

R.I.P. Ralph
Fisk, Lynn and Burlson and you said "DEVOID OF TALENT" ?

A true CLASS ACT!!!!

R.I.P. Ralph

Fisk, Lynn and Burlson and you said "DEVOID OF TALENT" ?

You must not have seen the "mass exodus" part.

1961 “Dream Team”

Man, this is really a sad year for the Yankees :(

I will never forget the great 1961 season with Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris; and that 1961 “Dream Team” .

That was a year. :)

RIP Ralph.

Read an interesting stat today........

With the passing of Mr. Houk, there are now only 8 living managers who have won multiple World Series:

Joe Torre (1996, 98, 99, 2000)
Sparky Anderson (1975, 76, 84)
Dick Williams (1972, 73)
Tom Lasorda (1981, 88)
Tom Kelly (1987, 91)
Tony LaRussa (1989, 2006)
Cito Gaston (1992, 93)
Terry Francona (2004, 07)

Another interesting thing about Houk's tenure as Red Sox manager:

He was Sox manager for Carl Yastremski's last season, and Wade Boggs and Roger Clemens first season.

Read an interesting stat today........

With the passing of Mr. Houk, there are now only 8 living managers who have won multiple World Series:

Joe Torre (1996, 98, 99, 2000)
Sparky Anderson (1975, 76, 84)
Dick Williams (1972, 73)
Tom Lasorda (1981, 88)
Tom Kelly (1987, 91)
Tony LaRussa (1989, 2006)
Cito Gaston (1992, 93)
Terry Francona (2004, 07)

Another interesting thing about Houk's tenure as Red Sox manager:

He was Sox manager for Carl Yastremski's last season, and Wade Boggs and Roger Clemens first season.

I find it interesting that there are not MORE managers with more than 2 WS wins.
Of course this list is of living only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts