Randall Stephenson "retiring"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mikew

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Reactions: whitewolf8214

Finally, AT&T may see the turn-around they need. Can't wait to hear John Oliver comment.
What turnaround would that be? AT&T is doing quite well, Covid 19 aside. A dividend aristocrat for many years. A cornerstone of my portfolio. DirecTV is not their only game.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
What turnaround would that be? AT&T is doing quite well, Covid 19 aside. A dividend aristocrat for many years. A cornerstone of my portfolio. DirecTV is not their only game.

From a casual investor perspective, the acquisitions seemed to have been timed and/or gone poorly. There is still time to salvage the benefits from the Warner purchase however. The failed attempt to buy T-Mobile is also a black eye, and the live streaming product launch closely resembles the later stages of a SantaCon. They have managed to keep revenues up on other LOBs, so the bottom line still looks good. It still feels like a good time to get new leadership IMHO.

I didn’t get along well with Randall. But I have had good interactions with John.

Let’s hope John turns around the damage that was done under Randall’s leadership with Directv.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I didn’t get along well with Randall. But I have had good interactions with John.

Let’s hope John turns around the damage that was done under Randall’s leadership with Directv.

Can DirecTV be saved or has the iceberg already ripped through the hull.

Reactions: navychop
I just wish they'd get the butts out of their a** and spend the capex to get FTTP. They blew tons of money on their Rube Goldberg U-Verse solution that could have been better spent on just doing the job right in the first place.

Stephenson's retiring ?

Thank you ...

Who's next to retire/leave the company with mega billions of money that doesn't give a crap about the company ?

I'm so tired of the Next best thing coming out and they draw subs to it and 6 months (or less) later, they abandon it and move the stratergy to something else.

Reactions: Justy5
As long as you're happy...I guess....

Through his leadership, AT&T has been one of the most consumer-unfriendly companies in the US. Why people continue to give them money is beyond me. The sham they pulled on wireless users with "unlimited" data in the early days of wireless internet is an example (throttling without notification). There are plenty of examples, but I don't care to spell them out. I left AT&T behind many years ago and I will never return. Had he run the wireless the same way John Legere led TMO, AT&T may have a better future ahead.

Good luck with all that debt...maybe someday they can turn it around.

Reactions: navychop
As long as you're happy...I guess....

Through his leadership, AT&T has been one of the most consumer-unfriendly companies in the US. Why people continue to give them money is beyond me. The sham they pulled on wireless users with "unlimited" data in the early days of wireless internet is an example (throttling without notification). There are plenty of examples, but I don't care to spell them out. I left AT&T behind many years ago and I will never return. Had he run the wireless the same way John Legere led TMO, AT&T may have a better future ahead.

Good luck with all that debt...maybe someday they can turn it around.
Debt was never the issue ... if it was, they never would have bought D* or TW ....
ATT does SO many other things than D* and Streaming, that they can afford to now worry about how bad the TV side of things are.

Stankey ran directv after the merger. If you expecting anything to change I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn if you are interested.

If anything based on comments I see Stankey accelerating ATT TV He has made many comments he wants to see the SAT business go away

Stankey ran directv after the merger. If you expecting anything to change I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn if you are interested.

If anything based on comments I see Stankey accelerating ATT TV He has made many comments he wants to see the SAT business go away
So why did they buy DTV?

For the subscriber numbers ... supposedly also added clout when negotiation were being done ..

You don't pay $50 billion to save a fraction of that in getting better deals from networks. At least as of last year Directv was still generating $4 billion a year in cash flow, no one is going to throw that away by shutting down the service prematurely. Especially not a company carrying $160 billion in debt or whatever the current figure is.

You don't pay $50 billion to save a fraction of that in getting better deals from networks. At least as of last year Directv was still generating $4 billion a year in cash flow, no one is going to throw that away by shutting down the service prematurely. Especially not a company carrying $160 billion in debt or whatever the current figure is.

I think it’s a huge mistake to stop marketing DIRECTV like they have done.

They have also stopped investing it it with no new satellites and no new boxes.

Retailers are having trouble even getting receivers to repair current customers.

It’s a mess.

I have never seen a company screw up another one so bad as AT&T has done to DIRECTV.

Retailers are having trouble even getting receivers to repair current customers.

It’s a mess.

I have never seen a company screw up another one so bad as AT&T has done to DIRECTV.

It was the Stephenson that made that call ... at least the one that announced it ...
Can/ Could Stankey come out and change that direction and essentially SAVE the company ?

Or was it all the board members and those that hold the money that made the call

O
Retailers are having trouble even getting reader receivers to repair current customers.

It’s a mess.

I’m going to put my black helicopter license in my back pocket and fly for a while.
Charlie planted a spy at AT&T and has been making calls through this spy
How else could a competitor sit back and just laugh their head off and watch the tv portion of this company crumble?
The presser from the Directv Now several years ago was a pretty good indication that AT&T was not ready for streaming video but who knew then that they would implode Directv eventually.

So why did they buy DTV?
Randall said AT&T bought DIRECTV not because they like the Sat business but because the subscriber numbers looked good for their new streaming numbers. They would try to move subscribers from DTV and UVerse to those services. How they would this is any body's guess. The way things are looking; It doesn't look like it is happening. Does anyone have their streaming numbers vs. their losses from the two services? I might have to eat my words. There are a lot of streaming services that these former customers could choose from and not solely move to AT&T's services. This strategy they are employing could fail and then it may work! We have to wait and see.

How is not launching any more satellites when they won't NEED any more satellites for at least a decade "stopping investing in it"?

I don't know the situation with receivers, but they want everyone to use Genie + clients and are letting the aged H/HRs they haven't manufactured for years fade away, so I guess those are harder and harder to get. But they sure can't have a shortage on Genies or clients since they must have warehouses full from all the customers who have left over the past couple years.

How is not launching any more satellites when they won't NEED any more satellites for at least a decade "stopping investing in it"?

I don't know the situation with receivers, but they want everyone to use Genie + clients and are letting the aged H/HRs they haven't manufactured for years fade away, so I guess those are harder and harder to get. But they sure can't have a shortage on Genies or clients since they must have warehouses full from all the customers who have left over the past couple years.
They Could show some interest and develop a new box that does 4K without an add on unit and save subs $7 a month that they felt it was ok to over charge for ... those clients for 4k purpose should have been free and without fees.