Random Act Of Kindness - FREE Visionsat PVR Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Davage

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
It's been a while since I've seen a Random Act Of Kindness posted here, so I'm going to do one.

I have a Visionsat PVR receiver that I am going to give away.

Here are the specifics..

I realize that many people these days are suffering from bad economic times. I would like to give away a Visionsat PVR receiver to a home that "needs" a satellite receiver, I don't want to give it away to somebody who already has a bunch of satellite gear and is simply looking to add more receivers to their pile. Please - I am asking that only people who do not currently have a PVR capable receiver to reply. I want the receiver to go to a home where the recipient could not afford to buy one on their own.

In the interest of full disclosure on the receiver: The receiver *has* hackware on it. I've played a bit with trying to clean it off, and quite honestly the hackware has better PVR functionality and options than the factory firmware. The hackware does not 'steal' any signals, so only legitmate FTA signals can be obtained with this unit. If somebody really is offended by the hackware, you can re-flash the unit back to factory firmware. I must also note that for whatever reason, the signal meter seems to act funny. The receiver does a fine job of blind scanning for signals and finding the signals, but I'm guessing that the hackware has somehow messed up the software that displays the signal quality. The tuner DOES tune in signals fine, and I've even used it with a motorized dish.

The receiver also includes the true PVR style remote with the PVR functions on it. (Not all of the Visionsat receivers shipped with this remote)

Do some searches for Visionsat, and I'm sure that you will see some great reviews.

I am willing to pay for the shipping costs via Canada Post / US Postal Service standard service.

In the interest of privacy, I am going to ask that people send me a Private Message if they know of a good home where this receiver would make a nice difference to them. I am certainly not looking to embarass anybody here. Any Private Messages received will be kept confidential.

I will test the receiver one more time before boxing it up to make sure that it still functions fine, because it has been sitting on the shelf for a few months, and I will ship the receiver on the weekend. I already have another piece of equipment that I promised another SatGuys member a while ago, (and he has been waiting patiently) but haven't got to the post office to send it out yet, but I am going to drop off both packages at the post office on Sunday or Monday.

Receiver is spoken for and is going to a good home.

I took the very first reply that had a good home for the receiver - I wasn't going to make it into any sort of competition.

One of the SatelliteGuys here is going to set up an FTA system for someone who is not able to afford a receiver. I'm happy that I am able to help out.

Glad to hear someone is getting a great receiver

I hooked it up for the first time tonight in likely a year and scanned a few birds.. You're right, it is a great receiver! I have a Manhattan MPEG2/MPEG4 receiver now, so I know that this Visionsat would sit on the shelf for many more years if I didn't give it away or sell it. Knowing that it is going to a good home is worth more to me than what I would have got for it on ebay.

Good luck! I tried giving a usable old Pansat 3500 away for the shipping cost a few months back. Ask me how that worked out? I wound up carrying it to the dump a month or so later when no shipping money ever showed up! Let no good deed go unpunished I guess! Hope you have better luck than I did. ;-)

Glad you are helping someone!!

Good deal! The Visionsats are still awesome receivers, in my opinion up there with the best SD MPEG2 DVB-S models out there. I'm still using two of them even though I've got an Openbox S9 with plans for another.

Good luck! I tried giving a usable old Pansat 3500 away for the shipping cost a few months back. Ask me how that worked out? I wound up carrying it to the dump a month or so later when no shipping money ever showed up! Let no good deed go unpunished I guess! Hope you have better luck than I did. ;-)

My offer included shipping... My theory is that if someone doesn't have the money to buy a receiver, they may not have the money for shipping. My intentions were to give the receiver to a home where the person could not normally afford a receiver. A fellow SatelliteGuy is going to be providing the dish(es) and is setting up an FTA system for somebody who only currently gets 2 over the air channels. It would have been cheaper for me to toss it in the trash, but by giving it away I know that somebody's life is going to be a little bit brighter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)