SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Apple Valley, MN
So my HR24 has been acting up. It will randomly do things. Such as:
-change the channel
-record shows
-open the guide
Any ideas as to what is going on? I am using IR to control it. So my first thought was that someone had a remote and was controling my system thru the window. But there is no one there and rear by living rooms are no way near enough to control it. Any help would be great! Thank you!

The wayward remote would have been my first guess too. Are there any other remotes in use for other devices that could be causing that?

The recorded shows and channel changes could also be explained by having a series set to record. To check, go into manage recordings, then series manager. If there's anything in there then it's set to record those shows when they come on. If there are 2 shows on at once it would change the channel on the receiver. If that ends up to be the problem, then I would write the guide popup as accidental when moving remote around.

Chances are, if you have another receiver in close proximity to the HR24, this could be receiving signals from that remote.

i.e, hr24 in living room and d12 in kitchen or something close.

Thank you for the ideas.
There are no other receivers in eye shot of this HR24. They are all on different levels of the house. The channel changes and recordings happen while I am watching something. Like I will be watching something and it will go down a channel and start recording it then as if the record button was pressed a 2nd time it decides to record the series. It is like the new touch panel on the front is broken. I don't know. Thank you again!

Does it happen often? If so, to test it I would block the remote sensor on the receiver with electrical tape and see if it still happens (assuming you are set for IR remote and not RF)

If it still happens then something is going on with the receiver. If it quits then there is some other device that is causing it.

How about a neighbor with Directv service? Just a long shot. :D (that's a joke for you who didn't get it!)

So I came home last night. I noticed the box was turned on and every-so-often the DirecTv Logo would blink. So I went up to it and turned it off. It turned right back on. So I turned on the tv. It was still on the same channel as when it was turned of in the morning. But it kept bringing up the menu. So I restarted it via the setup menu. After the restart it worked perfectly. Any ideas?

Doesn't the HR24 use an RF remote? If so, any other receivers would not have to be within "eye shot".

Doesn't the HR24 use an RF remote? If so, any other receivers would not have to be within "eye shot".

There are no other receivers. And I have checked with my neighbors and it is none of them. Most of them have cable. I am using IR via a Harmony Remote for this receiver.

Ok, #1 is this a new setup or has it been in place for a while and working fine until recently?

#2 have you changed anything? Have you rearranged equipment placement?

I'm asking become some TVs can put out so much IR interference that these random things happen as other equipment picks up the IR storm.

If you switch your HR24 over to RF and use the DirecTV remote (and cover the IR sensor on the HR24 just to be sure) does the random behavior stop? If so, it could be IR interference.

Just a thought...

hedbert said:
I have not tried switching to RF as I swapped remotes with another room in the house. I can try that.

Last time I heard about this was because of keys getting stuck on the harmony remote. Remove the battery in the harmony and see if this continues. I had a similar issue with a previous harmony remote a couple of years ago.

Last time I heard about this was because of keys getting stuck on the harmony remote. Remove the battery in the harmony and see if this continues. I had a similar issue with a previous harmony remote a couple of years ago.

I do have what I refer to as dead buttons on my Harmony. It might just be time for a new one!!

I went through 3 or 4 Harmony remotes. I liked the ACtivities based remote rather than device based. It really makes using an AV system with several components a lot easier.

I have since "graduated" to a URC MX-980
Surf Remote Control - Universal Remote Controls - MX-980
and, wow, what a difference. So totally configurable, macros, variables, custom graphics.... just a beautiful remote. And I don't have to be online to program it. I run a program on my computer and change whatever I want and upload it to the remote via USB.

Kind of expensive, but much more durable than a Harmony. Not that there's anything inherantly wrong with the Harmony line. But they're consumer remotes and the MX-980 is more of a pro remote and made to last longer. Lots of URC remotes in service after 5 to 7 years. I was going through Harmonies at the rate of about 1 per year (I had 1 in the bedroom and one in the living room) so ..... well the math worked in my case.

I went through 3 or 4 Harmony remotes. I liked the ACtivities based remote rather than device based. It really makes using an AV system with several components a lot easier.

I have since "graduated" to a URC MX-980
Surf Remote Control - Universal Remote Controls - MX-980
and, wow, what a difference. So totally configurable, macros, variables, custom graphics.... just a beautiful remote. And I don't have to be online to program it. I run a program on my computer and change whatever I want and upload it to the remote via USB.

Kind of expensive, but much more durable than a Harmony. Not that there's anything inherantly wrong with the Harmony line. But they're consumer remotes and the MX-980 is more of a pro remote and made to last longer. Lots of URC remotes in service after 5 to 7 years. I was going through Harmonies at the rate of about 1 per year (I had 1 in the bedroom and one in the living room) so ..... well the math worked in my case.

Thank you! I did not see a price or where to buy it. Also Can it be programed via a MAC?

Call Mike at that web site (owner). He'll give you a great price and also let him know you would like the CCP program (Complete Control Program). If you buy the remote he'll send you a link to the software and the software is free.

I'll warn you ahead of time, these are not cheap. But then again they'll probably last about 3 or 4 times as long as a Harmony. There's a little learning curve to the CCP program, but if you're comfortable using a computer, you can figure it out. Read the manual and tutorials for the software. They really lay out the steps to programming the remote in order and when you get the idea you can go off on your own and .... I think it took me about 40 minutes to get my basic settings into the remote. You choose devices from a list so that part is easy. But you can reprogram any button on the remote to do whatever you want. Also this is NOT a touchscreen. I hated my touchscreen remotes and like hard buttons for durability.

I can tell you that after owning this MX-980 I could never go back to a Harmony, as much as I liked them.

Oh and on a MAC you'd probably have to run Win7 in a VM like Fusion or something. I run linux and I program the remote in a Win7 virtual machine running on VirtualBox.

ALSO... do NOT buy one of these off eBay. You probably won't get the CCP program and if you don't buy it from an authorized reseller, the warranty is no good.

Just saw 2 on ebay. These remotes look sweet. Thanks for sharing

To see if the problem is being caused by some spurious IR in the room, I'd cover the IR sensor with black tape to see if it still does it.

I assume you have done a few restarts of the DVR, right?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)