Random thoughts after college basketball season

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
With college hoops season ending for the men and women (Congrats to North Carolina and UConn) and baseball is back, I'd like to start another 'Random Thoughts.'

(In honor of North Carolina's 18 Final Fours and the 18 holes at Augusta, I'm going with 18 of them)

1. Manu Ginobili's injury, IMO, has altered the West playoff race. This injury could decrease the Spurs' playoff hopes (I'm not writing them off, but their margin for error got a lot smaller). I am now projecting a L.A./Denver Western Conference Final.

2. I'm glad Anders got his happy ending- he gives Tar Heel fans a good name and I felt bad for him after the Panthers' playoff flameout (If Carolina played ANYONE but Arizona, I would have picked the Panthers).

3. Speaking of UNC, a lot of internet people harp on Hansbrough, but I can't. Here was a guy who stayed all four years and was rewarded for his patience with a national title. I wish more players would do that- winning a title is a better possibility than sitting on the bench on a bad team. IMO, had Griffin stayed for his junior season, OU would have been the favorites for 2009. It's annoying to me because it affects other teams- imagine if Durant stayed at Texas. Without him, they still made the Elite 8 last year; with him, I think they would have won it all.

4. Anyone ever been to Denver? One of my college classes talked about elevation, and I always wondered if what I hear about thin air and mile-high is a fact or a myth. I've never been there; anyone of you guys do so?

5. Easter's coming up; what's your favorite Easter candy? Personally, I love chocolate eggs filled with anything.:hungry:

6. Last year, Salsa attended 2 Raiders games; with Jeff Garcia signing with the Silver and Black, will he go to anymore? Maybe he'll get lucky and end up sitting next to Carmella.;)

7. How big is the NFL Draft going to be on this board? I remember the NBA Draft board on here; Bill and I did most of the posting that night; how many of us will contribute to this one?

8. Anyone on here planning to go to the new Yankee or Met stadiums this year?

9. NBA or NHL playoffs- which will have more upsets?

10. The debate for NBA MVP has been a dominant topic on this thread, but what about the other awards- Coach of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, Sixth Man, Most Improved Player, etc.

11. I can't imagine how hard it woul have been for us to communicate years ago. If I wanted to ask HD a question, I probably would have had to sent a written letter and wait a long time before I were to get a reply. I love technology- it's a great way to know people that are more interesting than those I have in my classes.

12. What's the one food that you have a hard time resisting? In my efforts to lose weight, I am still trying to cut down on my craving for cake.:hungry:

13. What is your all-time favorite video arcade game?

14. It's hard to believe how things were so different in 1978 compared to today. Consider:

Then
NBC had the rights to baseball, football, and college hoops
Valerie Bertinelli had millions of teenage boys drooling
The Colorado Rockies were a hockey team
The Royals were a contender
Culvers did not exist:D

Now
NBC got back the NFL and got the NHL
Some of the most popular girls on TV are on stupid reality shows
The Royals have not made the playoffs in a quarter of a century
The Colorado Rockies are a baseball team
Culver's

15. I will never understand the Marlins' attendance issues. They have a team worthy of bigger crowds- it's a shame many Miami fans are fairweather- Salsa and Rey are certainly better than that!

16. Cleveland and Buffalo are arguably the two most tortured-sports cities in this country. HD, I would like to challenge you to a debate so we can find out who has had it tougher- me or you. Do you accept? (I took a public-speaking class, so I have knowledge of how to speak in these things, BTW).

17. HD said that the Cavaliers' motto is "We're a no-excuse team." I guess the Suns' motto should be "We're a no-defense team.":D:D

18. Next week will be the one-year anniversary of when I joined this site from DBSForums. It's been a wild ride- my old buddies from DBSForums hopped on the train to here (BillD, Sandra, Anders, SamC) and I got to meet HD, Jimbo, Wozniak, McCoy, and many others. Hard to believe it's been so long!

3 - The "play one year" rule has changed the sport. TH is your prototypical good college player who will float around the pros for a decade or so, with 3-5 teams, without making much impact.

4 - Denver. Salt Lake City. Santa Fe. Santa Fe is 1500 ft. higher than Denver. It makes a difference, but only if you are really working. You won't notice if you are just walking around.

8 - Friend of a friend went to HS with Josh Hamilton. Says he is going to get us tickets when the Rangers come through, if we will cover the air. Might.

13 - Space Invaders. Still the classic.

14 - Culver's ?? Anyway, in terms of sports (old guy mode on), back in the day, sports were on Sat and Sun afternoon. The "big three" in season, golf, a little tennis, bowling and occasional weird stuff on WWS. MNF and that was IT. And, on the local news, you got scores. No highlights unless the game was on locally. Which is why the MNF halftime highlights were a big deal.

15 - Football stadium. In the middle of nowhere. And Miami is made up of people from everywhere else. They follow their lifetime teams. Expansion to Florida was a mistake. A special Florida only version of the rights packages and regular season games on occasion around the state could have been the basis of revenue sharing.

1. Manu Ginobili's injury, IMO, has altered the West playoff race. This injury could decrease the Spurs' playoff hopes (I'm not writing them off, but their margin for error got a lot smaller). I am now projecting a L.A./Denver Western Conference Final.

Manu and the Spurs usually give the Lakers fits. This is not good news for anti-Laker fans.

4. Anyone ever been to Denver? One of my college classes talked about elevation, and I always wondered if what I hear about thin air and mile-high is a fact or a myth. I've never been there; anyone of you guys do so?

The wife has traveled to Boulder a few times. She said the mountainous backdrop is breathtaking and just about every day is sunny. You can drive up to the mountains and be in snow, then down further in elevation and be wearing summer clothes. As for the thin air, I'm not too sure, but I'd imagine Jay Cutler's asthma will be better off in Chicago then Denver.

6. Last year, Salsa attended 2 Raiders games; with Jeff Garcia signing with the Silver and Black, will he go to anymore? Maybe he'll get lucky and end up sitting next to Carmella.;)

When dating Garcia in Cleveland, Carmella got in a fight with another girl (former ex of Garcia) at a Cleveland bar. As long as she doesn't run into any of Garcia's ex's, she should fit in nicely in Oakland.

7. How big is the NFL Draft going to be on this board? I remember the NBA Draft board on here; Bill and I did most of the posting that night; how many of us will contribute to this one?

I usually go to a buddy's house who host's a "draft party." We sit around, eat, drink and make a whole day out of it.

10. The debate for NBA MVP has been a dominant topic on this thread, but what about the other awards- Coach of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, Sixth Man, Most Improved Player, etc.

Cavs Coach Mike Brown should get consideration for Coach of the Year. Very underacted coach IMO. He got his players to buy into his defensive philosophy and get's them to play hard night in and night out. He's also had to juggle the roster around multiple injuries throughout this year.

11. I can't imagine how hard it woul have been for us to communicate years ago. If I wanted to ask HD a question, I probably would have had to sent a written letter and wait a long time before I were to get a reply. I love technology- it's a great way to know people that are more interesting than those I have in my classes.

Technology is a good thing. :up

12. What's the one food that you have a hard time resisting? In my efforts to lose weight, I am still trying to cut down on my craving for cake.:hungry:

Tiramisu

Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat

15. I will never understand the Marlins' attendance issues. They have a team worthy of bigger crowds- it's a shame many Miami fans are fairweather- Salsa and Rey are certainly better than that!

I don't understand it either. Especially with how "lively" Southern Miami was for the WBC. You'd think they would carry that emotion and love for Baseball onto the support of their MLB team too?

16. Cleveland and Buffalo are arguably the two most tortured-sports cities in this country. HD, I would like to challenge you to a debate so we can find out who has had it tougher- me or you. Do you accept? (I took a public-speaking class, so I have knowledge of how to speak in these things, BTW).

Sure, I'd be willing to debate. But IMO, this is not much of an argument. Cleveland is the most tortured, hands down.

17. HD said that the Cavaliers' motto is "We're a no-excuse team." I guess the Suns' motto should be "We're a no-defense team.":D:D

Exactly. And playing "no-defense" doesn't win Championships. Someday Phoenix will figure that out.

18. Next week will be the one-year anniversary of when I joined this site from DBSForums. It's been a wild ride- my old buddies from DBSForums hopped on the train to here (BillD, Sandra, Anders, SamC) and I got to meet HD, Jimbo, Wozniak, McCoy, and many others. Hard to believe it's been so long!

All those posts in only 1 year?! Wow.

Big loss for San Antonio. Injuries are one of the worst things about sports. The Western conference should be entertaining. Besides LA, I like Houston, Denver and New Orleans.

2. I'm glad Anders got his happy ending- he gives Tar Heel fans a good name and I felt bad for him after the Panthers' playoff flameout (If Carolina played ANYONE but Arizona, I would have picked the Panthers).

Congrats UNC. Anders Big-10 bashing is unwarranted, however.

3. Speaking of UNC, a lot of internet people harp on Hansbrough, but I can't. Here was a guy who stayed all four years and was rewarded for his patience with a national title. I wish more players would do that- winning a title is a better possibility than sitting on the bench on a bad team. IMO, had Griffin stayed for his junior season, OU would have been the favorites for 2009. It's annoying to me because it affects other teams- imagine if Durant stayed at Texas. Without him, they still made the Elite 8 last year; with him, I think they would have won it all.

For fans, you're absolutely correct. College basketball was much better when the players stayed at school and you could really get to know the teams. As a player, it's different. I'd much rather sit on the bench of a bad NBA team and make big bucks than win a national championship.

I've been a few times. I didn't notice a difference, but I wasn't running around.

5. Easter's coming up; what's your favorite Easter candy? Personally, I love chocolate eggs filled with anything.:hungry:

I'm not big on candy. I like salty foods better. Fries over chocolate any day for me.

I lost some respect for Garcia when he played in Cleveland and showed up some of his teammates on the field.

I love the NFL draft.

8. Anyone on here planning to go to the new Yankee or Met stadiums this year?

No.

I don't follow the NHL, so I Can't answer.

Some would argue it was better back then. You would have been forced to talk to your classmates and maybe discovered that they're not as uninteresting as you thought. Two sides to every coin.

Popcorn.

Golden-Tee

14. It's hard to believe how things were so different in 1978 compared to today. Consider:

Very true, but I'm too young to remember. I remember 1988 and it amazes me how much things have changed.

I don't get it either. Braves fans, too. Maybe they don't like baseball in the South.

Lol! Do you plan on having the debate face-to-face?

Then

Now
Culver's
I stopped drooling over Valerie for a few years, but now I'm doing it again. :D

1. It will be the Lakers and someone else, until I see the consistant bench play and the ability to win on the raod against the playoff contending teams(around .500 or less), that shiny record they have has not proven anything. I still think it will be San Antonio....with NO being by dark horse.

4. LOVE the city of Denver! We do our distaster recovery test in Boulder and I LOVE the mountains. Luckily for us Floridians, we do it in mid June when it is nice there.

6. Last season, I attended MORE than 2 games. I went to the Raiders vs. Dolphins, Bucs, Bills and Pats. MOST that I have ever gone to. No need to see Jeff's wife when I have a beautiful wife already.....And she is all "natural" too...! LOL!:D:up

7. See how big football is here and how much movement as far a players have in the last few days...I think there will be alot of talk around Draft time...AND, I have a strange feeling there is gonna be alot of trades.

8. Gonna do the NEW Yankee Stadium in June when I make my trip up to NYC. VERY looking forward to it.

10. IF the Heat were to make it passed the 2nd round in the playoffs, there is NO REASON why Coach Spoelstra should win it. But as of now, I will go with Orlando's Van Gundy.

15. As much as the Marlins have an issues with attendance, it is a great baseball town with NO REAL baseball identity. Too many people from too many other places. Which is GREAT for team loyalty, just not Marlin team loyalty....and it kills the theory of "people WILL go to see good baseball"....but you have to add, "ONLY if it's your team that is playing"...:eek::(;)

You shouldn't feel bad for me over the Panthers. I like them, but I expect little from them and usually get just that. I'm just glad they had a good season that was enjoyable. Carolina basketball is a different story. I'm glad that I don't have to go through the annual month of mourning this year. :D

There'll be plenty to be said about Hansbrough's pro prospects in the furture. What I will say now is his decision to come back is like those MasterCard commercials, priceless. Doing what he did at Carolina and winning the NC is unbelivable. Regardless of how Tyler's NBA career turns out he will always be mentioned in the same breath as Phil Ford and Michael Jordan. Not bad company to keep. And BTW Ford's NBA career was not all that, but that hasn't diminished his standing with Carolina fans. Tyler will do just fine whatever happens.

It's no myth. The altitude is a bigger prblem when you go into the mountains there. As someone who's had altitude sickness before I can tell you it's real.

The draft is interesting during the 1st round. After that I lose interest. Besides the 1st round alone takes like 6 hours. Usually when Mel Kiper starts talking about why some guy is going to be good left tackle is when I turn it off. :rolleyes:

I'll say NHL. The best team usually wins in the NBA with their 7 game format. Hockey is different. The worst teams in the playoffs can often win series after series if they get a good goalie.

when Mel Kiper starts talking about why some guy is going to be good left tackle is when I turn it off.

But I'm sure you didn't mind hearing about Jeff Otah when he was drafted- you know, the guy that paved the holes for Smash and Dash.

But I'm sure you didn't mind hearing about Jeff Otah when he was drafted- you know, the guy that paved the holes for Smash and Dash.
I like Otah now, but Mel Kiper's Bullsh!t wasn't going to get me excited about him. I'm sure he drooled all over guys like Tony Mandarich too. You never know what you're getting with an offensive lineman until you see them play.

I attended a wedding in Santa Fe and was warned to keep drinking fluids because of the high elevation. Of course I didn't listen, and ended up very sick from dehydration. :eek:

This one's easy: the NHL.

The NBA, more times than not, is chalk (Denver and Golden State upsets notwithstanding).

The Stanley Cup Playoffs, OTOH, are as unpredictable as the baseball playoffs.

IMO, out of the four major sports, the NBA is the toughest to pull an upset in the playoffs. The NFL is a close second.

Random thought 1 -- no matter how much I do not like UNC (and am the persistent champion of the underdog), they kicked ass across the board. Just a spectacular team, and truly deserving of the title. there, I said it; now I can go back to cheering for the mid-majors for next year. Friggin committee sucks.

With college hoops season ending for the men and women (Congrats to North Carolina and UConn) and baseball is back, I'd like to start another 'Random Thoughts.'

(In honor of North Carolina's 18 Final Fours and the 18 holes at Augusta, I'm going with 18 of them)

I think the Lakers are a lock to win the West. I make no predictions about what happens after that.

I've been to Denver. Altitude was no problem at all. A lot depends on your physical condition. I am an avid hiker and jogger. I have hiked in mountains all my adult life. I have had altitude sickness twice, both times after an all-day strenuous hike above 11,000 feet. On the other hand, my mother couldn't walk a mile at any elevation above 4000 feet without getting sick.

Altitude sickness is serious stuff. If you have ever had it, your respect for people who climb Mt. Everest goes way up. But it is unlikely any healthy person would have trouble in Denver unless he/she is out of shape and decides to go for a jog.

Dark chocolate. The darker the better. It helps if it surrounds a fruit filling or has almonds mixed in. If it's a bunny, it must be solid, not hollow.

See my answer to number 5.

Then

Now
Culver's
In 1978 I was in my early 30's. Now that she's lost that weight Valerie has me drooling again. ;)

Last edited:
when Mel Kiper starts talking about why some guy is going to be good left tackle is when I turn it off. :rolleyes:
i couldn't agree more. usually when he talks about anything i just turn it off. i find him very irritating.

on how many of us will contribute to the nfl draft thread,i will try to contribute as much as I can because i like the NFL draft very much but at the same time it's very long and i don't have a laptop like some of you do here. :)

2. I'm glad Anders got his happy ending- he gives Tar Heel fans a good name.
I'm very happy for him too.

yes I've been there and yes the air is thinner but it's not something you really notice unless you're running around like a wild man.the football does seem to travel a little further over there but maybe that's just me:D

yes he will. he's a true raiders fan. very loyal to his team and honest about them. i don't think any one player will make salsa not go to a raiders game if he has the opportunity. besides i think he went to more than 2 games last season.

i have quite the sweet tooth but i've realized that maintaining an active lifestyle can even out some of these naughty foods we eat! (by the way there are so may sweets I love it would take too long to post them all!)

i was invited this saturday to a marlins game but i can't go and yes i don't want to get too excited here but they have gotten to a very nice start. i will assure you salsa will attend to more of these games than i will. i'm a way bigger football and basketball fan.:)

Last edited:

The West was decided long ago, the Lakers are clearly the cream of the crop, the rest are good teams but flawed. The Spurs beyond the "Big 3" are offensively weak(Mason won't have as many open 3's without Manu on the court). Houston isn't a "clutch" team, Utah can't win outside Salt Lake City, New Orleans is a one-man show, Denver lacks defense, Portland's too young, Dallas too old.

As others have said, in day-to-day things you don't notice the elevation. You will more likely notice the dry air in Denver more than the elevation.

The NHL overall, but the NBA's Eastern Conference could be real interesting. Atlanta or Miami could pull off an upset this post-season.

Coach of the Year-Eric Spoelstra(Heat)
Defensive Player of the Year- Yao Ming(Rockets)
Sixth Man-Jason Terry(Mavs)
Most Improved-Roger Mason(Spurs)

Bad Stadium, Bad Location...develop but don't retain players....Bad Marketing. Hopefully when the new stadium is built it will fix many of the issues in South Florida.

When the 3 best players the Suns have are all defensive liabilities(Nash is outmatched, Amare won't play D and Shaq is lazy) plus you trade away the guys who at least tried(Diaw, Bell, Marion), these are the results that you get. The Suns should blow it up this off-season, trade Shaq, Nash and Barbosa(Amare's eye injury makes it hard to deal him now). Hope Dragic and Dudley develop and get lucky in the draft.

Telephones are pretty handy, quicker too. How come you never answer your PM's?

Telephones are pretty handy, quicker too. How come you never answer your PM's?
Add direct responses in threads to the list too....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)