Random thoughts before the NCAA Tournament

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
With the tourney coming up, I'm going with 16 random thoughts in honor of the 16 teams per region!

1. It's amazing how things can change in college hoops in just one year. Baylor and Kansas State are high-seeds and chic Final Four picks while glamour schools UConn and UCLA aren't even in the tourney (no offense, Hancox). Normally, those roles would be flip-flopped.

2. Why can't they send all 16 regional teams to the same area like in the old days. For instance, Syracuse is the #1 seed in the West, but they play their first tourney games in Buffalo. That seems a little odd. Why can't all the West teams just be sent to San Jose and Spokane for the first two rounds?

3. April Fools' Day is fast approaching. I will not pull off another stupid stunt like last year (I pretended that I was going to leave the site, something I vow never to do in real life). Rather, I'll simply ask this question- what's the best April Fools' prank you ever pulled off?

4. Spurs or Red Wings- which championship-tested experienced teams will give higher-seeded teams a scare come playoff time?

5. My birthday was yesterday.

6. Any chance UConn doesn't win the women's tourney?

7. My upset specials- Washington over Marquette (11-6), Utah State over Texas A&M (Sandra, I'm a believer- plus the Aggies haven't done anything to blow me away since Gillespie left), and I have San Diego State making the Sweet 16 (I don't trust Georgetown- they get up for the big boys, but struggle against inferior teams.)

8. I think John Wall will stay at Kentucky next year. I can't see him going to a team like the Nets (OTOH, he could fall to the Warriors- that would be a fun possibility.)

9. What is up with the Boston Bruins' offense this year? They are still allowing few goals like they did last year. But this year, they have the fewest goals scored overall- last year, they were second in the league and first in their conference.

10. My Sabres are not exactly looking like world-beaters- their only hope in the playoffs is if Ryan Miller gets insanely hot and they get timely goal scoring. They are anything but the offensive juggernaut I remember from a few years ago.

11. My NBA Finals prediction- I'm sticking with my pick of a year ago that almost came true- Cleveland and Denver.

12. Stanley Cup Finals prediction- Capitals vs. Sharks (THIS is the year for the Sharks. Book it.)

13. Anyone ever try an ice-cream cake? I did for my birthday- it's damn good.

14. Anyone ever heard of a Valomilk? It's like a peanut-butter cup, but replace the peanut butter with marshmallow.

15. Guys, I'm going on another vacation- I'm going back to Dubai, the same place I was for Christmas 2008. I leave Friday evening and I'll be gone for two weeks- I'll miss the second round and regionals of the NCAA Tournament, but I'll be able to follow the action via the internet (thank goodness for NCAA.com and allowing me to track the games online). I will be back for the Final Four and title game.

16. Finally, I'll keep up with you guys as well as the tourney and everything going on in the sports world while I'm gone. But I also vow to be much calmer and cooler during this year's tourney. I will never forgive myself for the irresponsible way I acted at times while posting during last year's tourney (I went over the top after the Villanova/Pittsburgh and Michigan State/UConn games). I won't be as over-the-top this year. You'll be reading the posts of a calmer and cooler Sabres talking about the tourney this March.

2. Why can't they send all 16 regional teams to the same area like in the old days. For instance, Syracuse is the #1 seed in the West, but they play their first tourney games in Buffalo. That seems a little odd. Why can't all the West teams just be sent to San Jose and Spokane for the first two rounds?
The pod system is much better. Sending teams across country for no reason is dumb. Plus it gives the top teams a reward for doing well, which makes the regular season more relevant.

Same as you leaving the site. Wanna bet which happens first?

7. My upset specials- Washington over Marquette (11-6), Utah State over Texas A&M (Sandra, I'm a believer- plus the Aggies haven't done anything to blow me away since Gillespie left), and I have San Diego State making the Sweet 16 (I don't trust Georgetown- they get up for the big boys, but struggle against inferior teams.)
I hope you're wrong. I've got Texas A&M in the FF and Marquette and Georgetown in the Sweet 16.

8. I think John Wall will stay at Kentucky next year. I can't see him going to a team like the Nets (OTOH, he could fall to the Warriors- that would be a fun possibility.)
He's gone. Calipari pays well, but not NBA well.

Utah State over Texas A&M (Sandra, I'm a believer- plus the Aggies haven't done anything to blow me away since Gillespie left)

Not a huge basketball fan. I start watching the Aggies (TX A&M) once Big 12 play starts. We were a prettier team to watch under Gillespie, but if you look at results, we weren't any better. We have a suffocating defense, a fairly ugly yet effective offense, and always show up for big games. I would be shocked to see us lose in the first round.

I've seen two games that we were just outclassed in terms of talent: at K-State and at "neutral" Kansas City against KU in the Big 12 tournament. I suspect we could hang with K-State now. We played them not long after Derrick Roland broke his leg, and we really hadn't figured out everyone's new roles. KU just has too much depth. I think that our five point loss to them at home is about as well as we could do against them.

Not a huge basketball fan. I start watching the Aggies (TX A&M) once Big 12 play starts. We were a prettier team to watch under Gillespie, but if you look at results, we weren't any better. We have a suffocating defense, a fairly ugly yet effective offense, and always show up for big games. I would be shocked to see us lose in the first round.

I've seen two games that we were just outclassed in terms of talent: at K-State and at "neutral" Kansas City against KU in the Big 12 tournament. I suspect we could hang with K-State now. We played them not long after Derrick Roland broke his leg, and we really hadn't figured out everyone's new roles. KU just has too much depth. I think that our five point loss to them at home is about as well as we could do against them.
I like A&M's chances. If they get through the first couple of rounds they'll be playing in Houston. Have you ever seen an A&M football game? They could pack Reliant Stadium and turn that into a real home court. Plus they have played as tough a schedule this year as anyone. They won't been intimidated by dook or anyone else.

Have you ever seen an A&M football game?

If you're asking me, I've been to dozens and dozens of them. Our fans are buying tickets to Reliant in droves. I only hope they get to see the Ags. The only Aggie sports I attend in person these days is baseball. Long time season ticket holder.

Word has gotten out that CBS is Dallas isn't showing our first game. It's in a weird time slot. Our biggest fan site (texags.com) is in absolute meltdown. If you want a good laugh, check this out.
TexAgs.com - A&M Men's Basketball

If you're asking me, I've been to dozens and dozens of them. Our fans are buying tickets to Reliant in droves. I only hope they get to see the Ags. The only Aggie sports I attend in person these days is baseball. Long time season ticket holder.

Word has gotten out that CBS is Dallas isn't showing our first game. It's in a weird time slot. Our biggest fan site (texags.com) is in absolute meltdown. If you want a good laugh, check this out.
TexAgs.com - A&M Men's Basketball
I figured you had been to some football games. That's crazy that A&M isn't on in Dallas. That can't be right. I live it Dallas and it's crawling with A&M fans.

Not going to happen. He's gone.

1 - A function of the "one and done" NBA draft rule. I would like to see the baseball rule, either you do not go or you commit for at least 3 years.

2 - Oh, they COULD play the regionals in region, like they used to. But no one actually came. Let's move SU-Vermont and Gonzaga-FSU to being the afternoon doubleheader in San Jose. Who is going to show up? The uncovered by the media truth is that, in the previous system, the tickets were plentiful. This should be a lesson to those that say that the Peach Bowl could be a valid quarterfinal between Penn St and Kansas St on a workaday week in December in some playoff, or that the public wants 32 more teams in this thing.

5 - Happy birthday.

6 - No. And that is not good.

7 - All four 11s over all four 6s.

8 - Can Wall stand the pay cut of going to the NBA? Seriously, UK is probably going to win, and the eventual champion is thus going to be "vacated".

13 - Excelent.

14 - Similar to a Mallo Cup. That brand used to have this deal where the cardboard backing had a value printed on it in "Mallo Money". Somewhere between 5c and $1, most often 10c. You collected $5 worth and got a box of 10 twinpacks in the mail.

15 - I used to know this guy, big UNC fan (but NCSU grad) who had to go to Brazil every March for work. Pre-internet days. Eventually he changed jobs to get out of it.

1 - A function of the "one and done" NBA draft rule. I would like to see the baseball rule, either you do not go or you commit for at least 3 years.
I wish they'd go to the NFL "3 years" rule instead. That would restore the NCAA to what it was like before the High Schoolers started getting big contracts and foregoing college.

4. Spurs or Red Wings- which championship-tested experienced teams will give higher-seeded teams a scare come playoff time?

Red Wings. The Spurs are ancient.

Happy Birthday. You mentioned a cake, but what was your birthday dinner?

There's a better chance the sun doesn't rise tomorrow.

It would do him good to stay. He looked like a world beater at the beginning of the season, but since then, he's shown us he still has some maturing to do. If him and Evan Turner enter the draft, I think Turner will be drafted before John Wall.

11. My NBA Finals prediction- I'm sticking with my pick of a year ago that almost came true- Cleveland and Denver.

I like it! Melo vs. LeBron. A Brazilian on both teams (Nene vs. Varejao), our old nemesis from Detroit (Billups) vs. Mo & Delonte, Wild Thing vs. Bird Man! Oh my! As much as I'd love to go through the Lakers to get our first title, I think this matchup would be way more entertaining.

13. Anyone ever try an ice-cream cake? I did for my birthday- it's damn good.

Not a fan.

15. Guys, I'm going on another vacation- I'm going back to Dubai, the same place I was for Christmas 2008. I leave Friday evening and I'll be gone for two weeks- I'll miss the second round and regionals of the NCAA Tournament, but I'll be able to follow the action via the internet (thank goodness for NCAA.com and allowing me to track the games online). I will be back for the Final Four and title game.

Have fun buddy. Sounds fun.

16. Finally, I'll keep up with you guys as well as the tourney and everything going on in the sports world while I'm gone. But I also vow to be much calmer and cooler during this year's tourney. I will never forgive myself for the irresponsible way I acted at times while posting during last year's tourney (I went over the top after the Villanova/Pittsburgh and Michigan State/UConn games). I won't be as over-the-top this year. You'll be reading the posts of a calmer and cooler Sabres talking about the tourney this March.

You better. Whenever you go away, it gets quiet on these boards. Keep SatelliteGuys & Gals Sports Section alive!!!

Sabres - no game 5/12 or better is an "upset special"

Grow a pair, and pick from 4/13, 3/14, 2/15 games as upsets :)

Sabres - no game 5/12 or better is an "upset special"

Grow a pair, and pick from 4/13, 3/14, 2/15 games as upsets :)
You're absolutely right. Here are the won-loss records of the seeds in the tournament from 1985-2009. You can see the obvious drop off in W/L percentage after #12 in the first round, and look at the .500 record of #12 teams who make it to the second round!!

Code:
[B]Seed	1st rnd	2nd rnd    Total[/B]
1	100-0	88-12	   344-85
2	96-4	64-32	   243-96
3	85-15	52-33	   186-97
4	79-21	43-36	   148-99
5	66-34	36-30	   113-100
6	69-31	35-34	   122-99
7	61-39	18-43	    85-100
8	46-54	 9-37	    66-99
9	54-46	 3-51	    58-100
10	39-61	18-21	    64-100
11	31-69	11-20	    48-100
[COLOR="Red"][B]12	34-66	17-17	    52-100[/B][/COLOR]
13	21-79	4-17	    25-100
14	15-85	2-13	    17-100
15	4-96	0-4	    4-100
16	0-100		    0-100

As Frank Martin said "KU is the bear":D

With the tourney coming up, I'm going with 16 random thoughts in honor of the 16 teams per region!

1. It's amazing how things can change in college hoops in just one year. Baylor and Kansas State are high-seeds and chic Final Four picks while glamour schools UConn and UCLA aren't even in the tourney (no offense, Hancox). Normally, those roles would be flip-flopped.

Wow, another diss for UNC. Now they don't even make Sabres' list of glamour schools not in the tourney! :D

The NCAA forces these arenas to become so generic, it doesn't even matter anymore...at least on TV. They all tend to look the same.

Red Wings definitely, Spurs only if they are healthy.

Happy Birthday!!!@party

Nobody cares. Seriously...nobody cares.

The USU Aggies played the NMSU Aggies Saturday night in the WAC final, now they play the TAM Aggies. What's up with that?

I don't think what team they may be drafted by affects whether kids want to leave college very much.

Anyone ever try an ice-cream cake? I did for my birthday- it's damn good.

That was your first ice cream cake?

Wow, Dubai again. What a life. Enjoy!

We're going on a Caribbean cruise April 4, I'll miss the NCAA finals and the first week of baseball.

Wish we could all say the same....;)

Sandra

Happy Birthday Sabres!!! Btw, does anyone else think that Siena is going to beat Purdue?
President Obama does :D

BARACK-OBAMA-NCAA-BRACKET.jpg

Apparently calling CBS affiliates and asking if they want credentials next football season or any other football season really does work. Originally the USU/A&M game was going to air in Bryan/College Station, Waco, Tyler, Salt Lake City, and Houston. It's at a 4 PM (local) time slot where Oprah and the news normally air. A little hard work by fans and the Athletic Dept, and it's now going to air on every CBS affiliate in Texas, plus a few in the Interior West.

Station List for NCAA First Round, Texas A&M vs. Utah State - TEXAS A&M OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts