Random thoughts on the night of the All-Star Game

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Before I start,

I would like to say that I won't be here on Friday.

My family and I are flying out to California to see some relatives for a week.

However, the house we are staying at does have an internet connection, so I'll be back as soon as I can. I will be able to post on this site while I am on vacation with my family.

I won't be here on Friday, so I hope you'll be able to survive on this site without me for a day.

Now, as we approach tonight's Midsummer classic, I have some more random thoughts:

1. Is is too early for me to consider Josh Hamilton as S.I.'s 'Sportsman of The Year?'

2. I'm glad Sandra's back from her vacation- can't wair to hear how it went.

3. Over/Under: a 10.0 TV rating for tonight's All-Star Game?

4. How come Shipsnake never posts on 'The Sports Section?" I'm sure he saw what Hamilton did last night as well as his first half perfornance.

5. Does anyone see Francisco Rodriguez getting 60 saves this year?

6. Which story are you most tired of hearing: Spygate, Favre, or Tim Donaghy?

7. Does the S.I. Jinx still exist, or is it a thing of the past?
(See the Celtics last October, Josh Hamilton)

8. Hard to believe that Barry Bonds is out of the game of baseball- no wonder I feel safer to watch baseball.

9. Does anyone remember the last All-Star Game at Yankee Stadium in 1977?

10. David Beckham's big contract is a waste of money- all that money should be used for better things. (Feel free to give your thoughts to what that money should be used for)

11. With Stephon Marbury getting a tattoo on his head, what do you consider some of the best tattoos in sports?

12. Am I the only one who pines for the days when NHL hockey was on Saturdays and not Sundays?

13. I'm more interested in the Vancouver Winter Olympics than the Beijing Olympics (no summer olympics events intrique me ala the Olympic hockey tournament- oh, and Sandra's favorite athlete has a gold medal!)

14. Who will be the next MLB manager to get fired?

15. Since Michigan has a lot of rebuilding to do, which game will be Ohio State's toughest Big 10 opponent on the gridiron? (Overall, it's USC- duh!)

16. If you added up the number of Islander fans, the number of Orioles fans, and the number of people who care about the MLS All-Star Game, it would be lower than the number of fingers on our hands.

17. IMO, the least important and most overrated statistics in sports are plus-minus in hockey and on-base percentage in baseball.
(Just because you're on base 80% of the time doesn't mean you'll score 100% of the time)

18. Why don't the NHL and NBA have players wear their own uniforms in All-Star Games the way baseball does?

19. Over/Under: 2.5 appearances by College Gameday at USC's Southern Coliseum in 2008?

20. In light of Peyton' surgery, NFL star players, IMO, don't need to play preseason
(LaDainian Tomlinson didn't play a single preseason snap in 2006- how did he do that season??)

21. When will the NHL All-Star Game come to MSG or HSBC Arena?
(My Sabres clearly have an arena worthy of the Superskills Competition/All-Star Game)

22. What's the better place to get a meal- Carl's Jr. or Jack in the Box?

23. Over/Under: 19.5 losses for Barry Zito?

1. Is is too early for me to consider Josh Hamilton as S.I.'s 'Sportsman of The Year?'
Hardly, everyone is making it out like this is the BEST story ever, had he been more responsible in his younger years, he never would have been in the situation was in. He is far from a hero or what ever your all making him out to be. I am glad he made it thru it all, but should not have been in the situation in the first place.

5. Does anyone see Francisco Rodriguez getting 60 saves this year?
Possibly, but the more important thing will be, will he be traded or not, his contract is up soon.

12. Am I the only one who pines for the days when NHL hockey was on Saturdays and not Sundays?

I watch hockey on Saturdays as well as Sunday's or any other day for that matter.

15. Since Michigan has a lot of rebuilding to do, which game will be Ohio State's toughest Big 10 opponent on the gridiron? (Overall, it's USC- duh!)

MSU, Wisconsin or Illinois, I haven't looked to see which ones may be road games.

17. IMO, the least important and most overrated statistics in sports are plus-minus in hockey and on-base percentage in baseball.
(Just because you're on base 80% of the time doesn't mean you'll score 100% of the time)

I think that the + - thing in hockey is over rated, because of how it's done, you could be on a line change and the other team scores and you get a minus, in baseball, I think the On Base Percentage is more important than most other stats, niot sure why they don't use it more often.

18. Why don't the NHL and NBA have players wear their own uniforms in All-Star Games the way baseball does?
I could be wrong, but I thought they did wear a AL / NL unifiform, not thier own, No ???

20. In light of Peyton' surgery, NFL star players, IMO, don't need to play preseason
(LaDainian Tomlinson didn't play a single preseason snap in 2006- how did he do that season??)
NFL player DO need some preseason for timing mostly ... The TEAMS need the preseason more than anything, so they have time to fairly asess the back up players and who will and won't make the team.

23. Over/Under: 19.5 losses for Barry Zito?
UNDER

Jimbo

I guess I never realized that the MLB players DO where their own uniforms. Seeing they at least wear the coresponding home and road jersey I guess it doesn't matter. At least it's not a noticable.

Jimbo

Last edited:

Hockey and basketball (and for that matter football) are 'transition' sports. In those sports you need the same uniforms because you're passing a puck or ball, while the other side is on defense. In baseball one team is at the plate and one team is in the field, therefore players can wear their home team uniforms.

Hardly, everyone is making it out like this is the BEST story ever, had he been more responsible in his younger years, he never would have been in the situation was in. He is far from a hero or what ever your all making him out to be. I am glad he made it thru it all, but should not have been in the situation in the first place.Jimbo

Jimbo, you are sooooooooo right about this. Don't get me wrong, I admire Hamilton for turning his life around. BUT..........Hamilton did this to himself. I realize chemical dependency is an illness, but I'm sorry, anybody that has the God-given ability that Hamilton has, and puts that crap in their system, uh-uh. Jon Lester winning the clinching game of the World Series and then pitching a no-no.....all less than two years after being diagnosed with cancer......that's FAR more worthy of 'Sportsman of the Year'!!!

The Red Sox are in my blood, I just find it hard to root for them as long as Mr. Ramirez is still on the team.

I think this will be Manny's last year with them. He has nothing left to prove- World champion twice, World Series MVP, hit the 500 homer milestone.

Anyway,

I'm going to bed.

Tomorrow, this All-Star Game is going to make for a LOT of discussion.

Hey Bill,
You do realize that said Mr. Ramirez is the HEART of your team right now ... And Drew.

Jimbo

Ramirez the heart of the Red Sox.............hardly!!! Is he a great hitter and run producer? You bet. But any strapping athlete that pushes down an elderly man, and then twice within the last week has gone behind THE Green Monster to talk on his cell phone.....during a freakin' game, has no heart as far as I'm concerned. Dustin Pedroia, Jacoby Ellsbury, Kevin Youkilis, and Mike Lowell are the life blood of this Red Sox team, and when Big Papi makes his return next week, the Sox will have their heart and soul back.

2. I'm glad Sandra's back from her vacation- can't wair to hear how it went. :luvlove: ;)

5. Does anyone see Francisco Rodriguez getting 60 saves this year? Over.

6. Which story are you most tired of hearing: Spygate, Favre, or Tim Donaghy? Spygate or Danaghy. Favre isn't committing a crime or breaking any rules. He's just passionate about the game and can't bring himself to leave the game he's loved for so long. I don't like the way he can't seem to make up his mind, but I do understand.

10. David Beckham's big contract is a waste of money- all that money should be used for better things. (Feel free to give your thoughts to what that money should be used for) $250 million. That would buy a controlling share of the Cleveland Indians. Maybe Beck/Posh would even poney up some dollars to keep some of our fleeting All-Stars.

11. With Stephon Marbury getting a tattoo on his head, what do you consider some of the best tattoos in sports? Marburry got a tat on his head?! He's gone Tyson! Anyways, I'm not much of a tattoo guy, but I think this one by Brown's O-Limeman, Ryan Tucker is pretty bad ass....

76530235.jpg

15. Since Michigan has a lot of rebuilding to do, which game will be Ohio State's toughest Big 10 opponent on the gridiron? (Overall, it's USC- duh!) Illinois and Penn State.

18. Why don't the NHL and NBA have players wear their own uniforms in All-Star Games the way baseball does? Good answer Bill.

22. What's the better place to get a meal- Carl's Jr. or Jack in the Box? Never been to either. If you happen to ever be in the Akron, Ohio area, I highly suggest Swenson's Drive-In. These burgers are to die for.

23. Over/Under: 19.5 losses for Barry Zito? Over. He already has 12.

Ramirez the heart of the Red Sox.............hardly!!! Is he a great hitter and run producer? You bet. But any strapping athlete that pushes down an elderly man, and then twice within the last week has gone behind THE Green Monster to talk on his cell phone.....during a freakin' game, has no heart as far as I'm concerned. Dustin Pedroia, Jacoby Ellsbury, Kevin Youkilis, and Mike Lowell are the life blood of this Red Sox team, and when Big Papi makes his return next week, the Sox will have their heart and soul back.

I don't like what Ramirez did to that old timer, but as far as everything else about him, he's just a free spirit on the field. He's one of the few players who always seem like they're having fun during the game. He just seems like a kid out there. Whether that's good or bad, I dunno. But, the fact of the matter is that baseball is game and he doesn't take himself too seriously while playing the game he loves. Ramirez will always be one-of-a-kind.

Number nine I can remember some about it. The Reds started four players for the NL. I'm a Reds fan so I always loved All Star games back in the 70's. Below is good synopsis from Retrosheeet.org. The NL won 7-5. The NL dominated the game like the AL does now. I think they only lost one time from 1962 to 1984.

NATIONAL LEAGUE 1ST: Played at Yankee Stadium; Mgr: Sparky
Anderson (NL Cincinnati), Billy Martin (AL New York); Plenty of
injuries: Bruce Sutter did not come, and John Candelaria and
Joaquin Andujar dressed but couldn't play for NL; For AL, Frank
Tanana and Mark Fidrych could not play, and Nolan Ryan, chosen
as replacement, refused to come because he was not originally
chosen; Game dedicated to Jackie Robinson; First pitch: Rachel
Robinson; AL captain: Joe DiMaggio; NL captain: Willie Mays;
Terrence Cardinal Cooke gave invocation, Pearl Bailey sang
'America the Beautiful' and baritone Robert Merrill sang the
National Anthem; MVP: Don Sutton (Los Angeles);

I don't like what Ramirez did to that old timer, but as far as everything else about him, he's just a free spirit on the field. He's one of the few players who always seem like they're having fun during the game. He just seems like a kid out there. Whether that's good or bad, I dunno. But, the fact of the matter is that baseball is game and he doesn't take himself too seriously while playing the game he loves. Ramirez will always be one-of-a-kind.

This is exactly how I felt about Manny until he pushed the traveling secretary down. This topic has literally split Red sox Nation down the middle.

This is exactly how I felt about Manny until he pushed the traveling secretary down. This topic has literally split Red sox Nation down the middle.

I agree. Sometimes it's hard to separate the on the field stuff from the off the field stuff. This is where Manny and A-Rod will suffer in the long run.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts