Random Transponders reading 0

Status
Please reply by conversation.

arachide

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2003
I currently have a DP 7200 being fed from a Dish 500 to a SW21 switch. When I go into the dish pointing screen, I noticed something strange. On Sat 119, transponders 1,3 and 9 read 0 whereas all the rest read in the 80s and higher. On 110, I am getting no signal on 4,6,7,13,17,19. In the dish 500 screen, I have a reading of 64 for 110 and 53 for 119. I would say these are pretty good given that it is currently pouring outside and the winds are whipping around in the 40 mph range (I am in San Francisco Bay Area).

Do I need to be concerned about the zero readings and can I do anything to fix it? Am thinking of retiring the 7200. For the second time in three weeks, the box locked up trying to update the program guide. While on the phone with the Dish CSR, I was told my options would be to buy the $5.99/month service contract and they would replace the box with another 7200, or I could get a 510 for $99. Or I could get a directivo ;)

Any thoughts?

Andy

arachide said:
I currently have a DP 7200 being fed from a Dish 500 to a SW21 switch. When I go into the dish pointing screen, I noticed something strange. On Sat 119, transponders 1,3 and 9 read 0 whereas all the rest read in the 80s and higher. On 110, I am getting no signal on 4,6,7,13,17,19. In the dish 500 screen, I have a reading of 64 for 110 and 53 for 119. I would say these are pretty good given that it is currently pouring outside and the winds are whipping around in the 40 mph range (I am in San Francisco Bay Area).

Do I need to be concerned about the zero readings and can I do anything to fix it?

Are you getting all the channels that you are paying for? Yes. So what's the problem?

Actually some of the transponders are spot beams. You are most likely out of their footprint.

Yes, I am getting all the channels I pay for (at180+hbo). I just thought it seemed odd, but if I am out of their footprint that makes sense. Thanks. I just wasn't sure if it was a hardware issue on my side.

_Andy

Almost ALL odd transponders below 21 I am getting a real low number on. Dish tells me that it has to be alignment, but if all evens are good and odds above 21 are, does that not sound like a footprint? Ones I show I should get (from the signal has been lost scheme) are 1, 10, 7,15.... I've been trying to find the footprint info for the transponders. I live in NE PA in a town called DALLAS... the footprints so far, look like they would work in DALLAS, TX but I don't know if some of these channels get programmed by zip or just by town and they may have me getting the wrong signals.
ALL of my receivers (811, 522, 311) show the same thing.

Channels do not get programmed by zip OR town.

Spotbeam footprints are fixed in space.

Your statement about which strengths you get where contradicts your other thread. If that data has changed, update the original thread.

NOW - instead of resurrecting an eight month old thread for no good reason, let's stick with the thread YOU STARTED where several people are already reviewing your issue. :mad:

Mods: Please close this thread.

On the 119 satellite, TPs 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 are spotbeam TPs so depending on your location you may get low or zero signal level readings. On the 110 satellite, TPs 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 are spotbeam TPs and are also location dependent for signal strength. In addition, on the 110 satellite, TPs 7, 13, 17 and 19 are used for High Definition (HD) programming which uses a different compression type i.e., 8PSK. Unless you have a HD receiver, you will have zero signal level readings on these TPs. It should be noted that TP 19 has been switched from an HD TP to a Standard Definition (SD) TP recently but it may have been switched back to HD after the election multichannel event.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts