RANT: D* only adding Spanish content, not English!? WTF!?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mhking

Chief cook & bottlewasher
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 9, 2004
Atlanta
With word that DirecTV has added EcuaVisa to ParaTodos on Channel 421 today, I've gotta finally say something.

D* keeps adding Spanish language SD channels at will, but the only new English language SD channel they've seen fit to add is GAC!? Come on!

I've heard all the promises of new interactive services; I've heard all the stories about HD content; I've listened to the whining about lack of bandwidth. These "reasons" are all starting to wear thin. D* can add Spanish-language content left and right, they can glitz up the HD content, and they can promise six ways to Sunday, but at the end of the day, we're still left with very little new content!

Add to that, BEV and *C, north of the border, are adding services faster than you can drink a beer!

The "comprehensive" Sports Pack is now lacking Altitude from Denver and soon will be lacking both CSN-MidAtlantic 2 and CSN-Chicago (and that doesn't even begin to cover the lack of The Tennis Channel). I won't even get into other channels that are lacking!

I'm getting sick of this!!!

{RANT MODE OFF}

I feel you man. If anything these channels should be on the Latin D* birds. I think everyone is entitled to receive diverse programming but is should never be at the cost of what is good for the masses.

We have all noticed a hit in PQ as of late, I know many of us have contacted D* in relation to this, apparently they are not listening. Heck I love country music but in all honesty I cannot tell you which channel GAC is on.

I think this may be a time for D* to reflect on what is important ... revenues or customers. They are quite heavily linked. I am willing to give them a fair shake until next April when SpaceWay 1 & 2 fire off but if they fail to properly allocate bandwidth after that they will be hearing from me and if i do it right MANY others.

Tu no quieres los canales de espanol??

(Hey I remember some High School Spanish...I amaze myself)

Dont just rant...vote with your pocketbook. Sign up with Voom or cable for the more HD.

Aye Caramba!!

LOL, NHL Network ... the NHL will not exist as we know it anymore, I feel this is a great loss for us, but Europe will now host the NHL.

zubinh said:
Tu no quieres los canales de espanol??

(Hey I remember some High School Spanish...I amaze myself)

Dont just rant...vote with your pocketbook. Sign up with Voom or cable for the more HD.

Aye Caramba!!

Don't sign up for V* if you are thinking of your pocketbook. They will mess up your CC quicker than a wet dream.

zubinh said:

AAAAHHHHHH!!!!! Be gone you troll. Why are you over here? :mad: That's what the Voom people tell me and a few others on thier forum when we speak.

GregN said:
Latinos are the fastest growing population in the US.... so its a market that both E* and D* are hitting hard. BTW Im White male :)

And I'm a politically incorrect black male. <shrug>

I understand "multiculturalism" as well as the next guy -- my issue is that D* (and to a lesser degree E*) keep piling on content for the Spanish-speaking audience, while paying lip-service to the rest of us.

First, they couldn't add services because of the increase in locals. Then it was a lack of satellite space, then it was "we need the space for Sunday Ticket," then it was "we're working on HD."

All through this they have added at least one Spanish-language channel every other month. Conversely, in the past year, THREE English language SD channels have been added (NFL, TV Guide & GAC - and most people wouldn't count TV Guide as "content").

We have all heard the promises of Newscorp, to add content after the acquisition was completed. Well! The acquisition is complete! How about adding Sky News!? Same family! Just one Newscorp company to another!

I don't think I'm being unreasonable here.

I'm all for multi-culturalism and it's OK with me that more Spanish programming is being added. However, I would ALSO like to see more English language programming from
other countries being offered....the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa etc. I think there would be a market for this. What do others think?

Umm DirecTV is not just adding Spanish.... They are adding a bunch of internationals. :D

Check the sticky I just posted in our DirecTV forum.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Umm DirecTV is not just adding Spanish.... They are adding a bunch of internationals. :D

Check the sticky I just posted in our DirecTV forum.

Again, that's fine for those desiring those languages but where's the English language international programming? The USA bombards the rest of the English speaking world with its programming so why can't we see the BBC, CBC, Deutsche Welle in English, ABC from Australia, ITV from Britain, and all the rest of the English language programmers that are out there?

Its all about money $$ what will give D* or E* the best return of there investment (bandwidth).

I sure they have a team of demographics consultants who tell D* the emerging markets. Seems to be a no brainer.

Here is a reply I received from CBC :

We're pleased to hear of your interest in CBC Television.

Those American viewers within direct antenna range of our the over the air transmitters are able to receive CBC Television. Also, Under U.S. copyright law, an American cable system within 150 miles of the Canadian border would be permitted to retransmit the signal of CBC station if they follow the requirements of the legislation, including the payment of applicable royalties.
The decision to carry a particular channel is made by the particular cable system. An interested company would then be welcome to contact CBC directly for further information. American viewers should make their preferences known to their local provider, as a carrier will likely not pick up a channel for which there is no significant public demand.
CBC does not own broadcast rights in the United States for all of its programming due to copyright and licensing restrictions, and therefore many of the shows we air cannot be shown south of the border. As well, due to the encryption of our digital satellite signal, CBC Television is not available on existing C or Ku-band systems or DVB receivers.

The Federal Communications Commission has measures in place to discourage widespread competition from foreign broadcasters on American airwaves. As a result, providers such as DISH Network and DirecTV aren't able to carry our main network.
As you know, a selection of "Hockey Night In Canada" games are available through the NHL Centre Ice broadcast package offered through DirecTV and Dish Network, and "Sports In Demand" on digital cable.
CBC currently provides programming to the satellite channel Newsworld International (NWI). This channel is carried on direct to home service through DirecTV, and by some digital cable carriers. Your local distributors will have further information should you be interested. The NWI web site can be browsed at <http://www.nwitv.com>.
Feel free to contact us again.
Kim Belle
Communications Assistant
CBC Audience Relations

mhking - Consider yourself lucky. You really have nothing to get that upset over. You already have about a half-dozen more mainstream English-language channels than Dish.

Dish is constantly adding new Internationals. Multi-culturalism is great and all that. (I basically stay with Dish due to TVJapan.) But, they've gone beyond Spanish, Chinese, etc. I think they're now adding made-up langauges. I'm expecting the next one to be for people who communicate by making fart noises with their armpits. Trust me. It's that bad at Dish.

Someone complained about no Altitude Sports Net? Dish doesn't even have YES, fer chrissakes!

Not enough HD? Dish doesn't have Bravo-HD, NBC-HD, or Fox-HD.

Too much wasted bandwidth on DirecTV? How about Dish's 12, that's TWELVE, shopping channels. (Not to mention BingoTV.)

You don't know how good you've got it. Take it from a Dish sub.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)