rants and raves

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sharris

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
Calgary area
I Hate to say it, albiet I've have a few too many beers, but ICEBERG a.k.a. Tony.....Get a life. This is a great hobby, and I appreciate your help to those that honestly need help of others, but the second I log on, which hasen't been in a few months you get to the punch first, and we all aren"t "the knowers of all" I think Doc Hydro and those few others really are the supporters out there who support those that need help, but not immediately. All I can sAY IS get a girlfrien dor something and get on with life. To those out there with FTA probs, pls know that some of us here have a life and we will take a few minutes/hours to get to your problem.

ICEBERG....really, find somegood buds and have a good time., span k the monkey, go out and find some babes, theres more to life than TV or FTA.

Okey Dokey. Someone's having fun tonight :D

Seriously, though. Iceberg might spend plenty of his time on this forum, but his help is sincerely appreciated by all. Have a drink for him!

As for finding good BUDs, he's got a 6 footer and he's doing very well with it ;)

EDIT: I don't know much myself about monkeys or babes...... :p

Last edited:
Whoa there, Iceberg is doing a great job, besides policing the forum to keep it clean of hackers, it's nice to get a quick response, any noob anxious to get his FTA setup working knows how nice it is to get an answer pronto (quickly).

I think Sharris should think of this forum as a compliment to somebody who loves his profession.

Would be nice if we all loved our jobs this much, as to anyones social life, all I can say is MYOB.

Well, at least he admitted to having too many beers, now throw in a credit card and watch how good you feel in the morning when you remember what you did :eek:

Jealously can be a TERRIBLE thing, we will be expecting a full apology :mad:

PSB said:
Jealously can be a TERRIBLE thing, we will be expecting a full apology :mad:

Absolutely, Iceberg is doing a great job helping everyone, I have learned a lot from his posts.

Well I disagree with sharris as I believe Iceberg and others are doing an excellent job and if it wern't for those quick responses thoses dirtbag Hackers would take over,and when I look for help don't want to wait for an answer for months because noone signed in.

Dave

NO WAY!

Iceberg does have a life!
Its a good thing when someone has a passion for something and is great at it.
I hope Iceberg can go into business for himself someday and become a millionaire!!
Hats off to the Ice Man
He has been a great help and very freindly

Sharpee

Sharris,
While I appreciate the compliment, Iceberg helps out a lot more people around here than I do. Heck, he's helped me out many a time on questions I have had. I think he does a great job, and brings a passion to this hobby that few have.

Iceberg, keep up the good work :D

Doc

uh....OK.....how many beers did you have?

this is like talking to my dad after I picked him up from the VFW on a Friday night to take him home. Hard to decipher but I'll try.

sharris said:
I Hate to say it, albiet I've have a few too many beers, but ICEBERG a.k.a. Tony.....Get a life.
I have a life, thank you

This is a great hobby, and I appreciate your help to those that honestly need help of others, but the second I log on, which hasen't been in a few months you get to the punch first, and we all aren"t "the knowers of all"
I have read this part 4 times now and still have no clue what the hell that means

I think Doc Hydro and those few others really are the supporters out there who support those that need help, but not immediately. All I can sAY IS get a girlfriend or something and get on with life. To those out there with FTA probs, pls know that some of us here have a life and we will take a few minutes/hours to get to your problem.
So if I undertand this correctly, you think I am here all day and answer any question as quickly as possible to make it look good? If you are thinking that, you are sadly mistaken. I post to help out people. When I first got FTA, there were no sites to help me. There was a few boards that had a "non-DBS" area. So it was very difficult for me to get mine going. So I guess I'm not suppose to help people out with their issues and just say "screw them. Let them figure it out" or better yet, do what other boards do and say "use the search". Sorry, that is not in me. I have driven to 1/2 dozen peoples houses here in the Mpls area (some as far as 35-40 miles away) to help them aim their dish because they got frustrated. Its called "helping people out" and I guess thats where the "Minnesota nice" in me comes out. I was willing to drive almost 500 miles round trip to Iowa to help IAFire get his setup going. Could I have blown him off in the board? Yes... But I spent a fair amount in PM's and on the board with him getting it going.

We also pounce on hackers because, well they don't belong here. You want to ask how to get your setup going, I can help with that. Ask me how to steal, and I ban you.

And as for the girlfriend, I recently broke up with mine (dated off and on for 3+ years. Now we're really good friends). We just weren't compatible :D

ICEBERG....really, find somegood buds and have a good time., span k the monkey, go out and find some babes, theres more to life than TV or FTA.

You are correct. There is more to life than FTA & TV. Since you haven't been on in a while, on the weekends (when I could sit on the board all day) I am on and off during the day. I'll log on a couple times but usually I am doing other stuff (housecleaning, dishes, laundry), visiting my relatives, out with friends or at the lake house (where all we have is Dish Network). I think we have a good thing going here where everyone pools their knowledge and helps out. I didn't know crap about C-Band until I got my setup 2 months ago (there is a 28 page thread on it). But thanks to the people here I finally know how it works and some of the tips of the trade. Do I know everything about C-Band? Heck no. I know a little bit.

I have a feeling Sean's original post was just out of context and thats what happens when someone gets a little too much alcohol in them. Don't worry, I use to say the same things before I stopped drinking in 99 :)

Hey Iceberg
You shouldn't have to explain yourself as your helping others speaks for itself, and keep up the good work we all appreciate it as we explore this hobby.

Dave

As one of the newcomers to this board, I appreciate Iceberg's help and posts. I have been reading this board for a long time before I joined a few months ago and as far as I can tell, he is helping almost everyone including myself. So my hat is off to him :up :up
Having fun with a few beers is fine, but we need to be mindful of our actions after the introduction of the alcohol to the brain!!!

Let's keep this place a fun and educative board as it has been so far! Thanks to all the mods here and ICE!

sharris said:
I Hate to say it, albiet I've have a few too many beers, but ICEBERG a.k.a. Tony.....Get a life. This is a great hobby, and I appreciate your help to those that honestly need help of others, but the second I log on, which hasen't been in a few months you get to the punch first, and we all aren"t "the knowers of all" I think Doc Hydro and those few others really are the supporters out there who support those that need help, but not immediately. All I can sAY IS get a girlfrien dor something and get on with life. To those out there with FTA probs, pls know that some of us here have a life and we will take a few minutes/hours to get to your problem.

I would just like to say that I received all kinds of AWESOME help and tips from numerous members here, and I wish I could mention them all. I had offers of free phone support from one, lots of tips from others, and I appreciate them all, but Iceberg spent HOURS with me via PM's to get me going. He also offered to drive 500 miles round trip to get my system up and going - that actually made me not give up, as much as I would like to meet him, I just hated to have him drive all that distance. The help I received from this board was tremendous. I for one am THANKFULL for all on here!

Last edited:
I have read a lot of ICEBERG's responses and have found him to be a sincere and knowledgable person on the subject. He helps a lot of people.

Keep up the good work ICE man. :)

Quote: I was willing to drive almost 500 miles round trip to Iowa to help IAFire get his setup going. Could I have blown him off in the board? Yes... But I spent a fair amount in PM's and on the board with him getting it going.

I cannot stress how I was ready to throw in the towel, but Ice kept me going! I have never met him, and he treated me like a lifelong friend. I hope to meet him someday! After his help, it made me think of ways I can help other people out. Sometimes it is to easy to say "I don't know" rather than help someone. THANKS ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One thing that sets this Forum apart from all others that I've seen, is that there's a sense of community here. We're not just a bunch of strangers logging on because we have nothing better to do. It seems like just about everyone has a lot going on outside of this forum. I log on often just to see if someone got something fixed that they were having a problem with. Why would I do this? Because I realize that they have lives too, and I'm interested in that. We're not just a bunch of Avatars on a computer screen here.
This forum isn't just a random event that happened by chance. It grew into what it is because of the Moderators. They keep this a community.
I think that Iceberg, Pete and everyone else does an exceptional job.
I've noticed that some people can do three times as much, with half of the effort that it would take me. Maybe, (obviously) there are those who can help others out, and still have a life. :)

Last edited:
Actually I think Ice has more of a social life here (helping out people) that some of the rest of us (me anyway), I myself would rather watch tv than do most anything else (even when I am at the gym - which has personal tv's on every machine)....he could be like me and never have time to help anyone out becouse I'M WATCHING TV :devil:

Also I for one would not have SC or FTA if it hadent been for Ice....that's all I have to say now pas the B&B

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)