rants and raves

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This guy has been disgruntled for awhile, if memory serves me correct this is not the first time he has played "bash the 'Berg." Granted, everyone has an opinion and this is a free country so everyone is free to voice it. But, use some common sense and do it with a clear mind. Myself, I can live without this. It would be inappropriate for Tony to hammer this guy because he could whine the "T" was taking it out on him because he voiced his opinion after a few shots of courage. I hereby request that Peter, Scott or any other Mod pull the plug on him so we don't have to put I up with it in the future.

Hey Jim and Larry,
I just went thru about 150 of sharris' posts, and almost all of them are upbeat and contributory to the forum. I think he just had a bad night last night, prolly woke up this morning and said "oh *&^% what did I do/say".

IMHO I think he deserves another chance.

I agree :)

I did check his posts too and they're all pretty good. I think this one was just "one of those days"

I agree we all have one of those days. It's one of those things. After a few too many, no keys, phone calls, emails or post to satguys!

Maybe this could go in the new "tip of the day section" Don't post rants and raves after a few beers, especially about a moderator! I have only been on this site since last november and have not posted much but after reading through the posts/information here I had no problem setting up two fixed and one motorized dish. There is lots of good stuff here and ICEBERG has posted more than enough information to get anyone up to speed with this great hobby, not too mention weeding out the scum. This is the only site I have felt the urge to be a paying member of and these two points alone are worth the price of admission. Keep up the good work!

drhydro said:
Hey Jim and Larry,
I just went thru about 150 of sharris' posts, and almost all of them are upbeat and contributory to the forum. I think he just had a bad night last night, prolly woke up this morning and said "oh *&^% what did I do/say".

IMHO I think he deserves another chance.
SHarris has been around here for awhile, much more active last year. He's always been friendly, I think he just had more than one too many last night and decided to log on and give Iceberg what in his mind was "helpful advice". It came out sounding VERY condescending.

It seems like many of my friends always think they know what's best for me, but they don't understand that its MY life and not THEIRS. So what THEY would do is not necessarily what I would (or should) do. It's like when you're out with a friend who's had a few and he/she starts telling you how things should be and you just kind of nod and humor him/her.

I didn't interpret what he said as an attack, just nonsensical grandstanding. Putting myself in Iceberg's place (if the post had been addressed to me), I wouldn't have taken it as being malicious.

I would have quickly set him straight, though, as Iceberg and many of you guys did :D

It is obvious to anyone who frequents this forum that Iceberg enjoys what he does here, and that his work on this forum is a labor of love. The offer to drive a 500 mile round trip to help a member is going way above and beyond his call of duty as a moderator. If this makes him happy, then it is the right thing for him to be doing, and nobody has the right to say otherwise. It takes me three hours to catch up reading the posts IN THE FTA SECTION ALONE if I miss a couple of days here. I don't generally read any other section. So Iceberg doesn't moderate here because he HAS to, he does it because it makes him HAPPY to be able to help others.

I still don't know anything about monkeys or babes, hopefully will be learning more about BUDs....

Last edited:
He sure help me..Now I can assist others here!

sharris said:
I Hate to say it, albiet I've have a few too many beers, but ICEBERG a.k.a. Tony.....Get a life. This is a great hobby, and I appreciate your help to those that honestly need help of others, but the second I log on, which hasen't been in a few months you get to the punch first, and we all aren"t "the knowers of all" I think Doc Hydro and those few others really are the supporters out there who support those that need help, but not immediately. All I can sAY IS get a girlfrien dor something and get on with life. To those out there with FTA probs, pls know that some of us here have a life and we will take a few minutes/hours to get to your problem.

ICEBERG....really, find somegood buds and have a good time., span k the monkey, go out and find some babes, theres more to life than TV or FTA.

Iceberg is doing a great job and has helped so many of us, I cannot express my own gratitude!! Please never stop!

When we stop learning, we start dying! I try to help others on the C-band group with their 4dtv's since I have been at it since the beginning of time:)

Even though I am setup nicely, I always am eager to glean some new info Ice imparts (and others)!:D

THE FACT THAT ICE CONTRIBUTES HIS TIME (I nic-named him the "Hacker Hammer"):D is a tribute to him!!!

As far as suggesting spanking the monkey.....Not to sure that is a good suggestion, considering his apparent stature!!:D

Being semi retired, I enjoy this site as well as some other auto forums I inhabit...The GF gets plenty of time...but I must also say she has come in and shutdown my PC's ...at times....a not so subtle suggesting! I LISTEN AND DO NOT WANT TO BE CUT OFF...The babes have the ultimate weapon!

makes it easier to have no password on the PC since most women today are just so curious about our emails and what sites we are visiting! Got past that stage a year ago with this lady!:D SHE WAS REALLY INTERESTED BUT AT LEAST ASKED IF SHE COULD TURN ON MY PC'S (3 OF THEM...INC A MAC)

Always remember...the one who dies with the most toys wins...toys with wheels count double!!!:cool:
Jeff

The post was not meant to be malicious or condescending. I truly appologize if it came out that way. I am also not jealous of the fact that Ice jumps to the pump everytime, I hopefully have contributed and helped someone out as well in the spirit of good ethics. I am of clear mind now and can understand why/if it was taken that way, albiet not my intent. I read icebergs posts and his quick witted humour and obvious good heart and I think, Wow, this guy should not devote so much time to a hobby. He should go out, socialize, enjoy life and not devote so much time, cooped up in a house scanning channels all day. In hindsight, me being so judgemental in this regard, isn't fair nor "Nice". I don't honestly know if Ice does this, nor is it my business, and therefore, in poor taste to judge another persons interests. I agree with all the posts regarding Ice's help, understanding and honest advice, much appreciated, and also the comment regarding something to the effect... "it seems a life long friend has answered your question". I totally agree, and that really is a good part of the reason why I made the post. Think of it this way....if you had a friend that appeared to be doing something that you thought isn't in his/her best interest, you might make a subtle comment or confront them on it and past judgement, right. Thats really all I was doing here, just my two cents, albiet in hindsight, I shouldn't have.

For the record as well, I have never said anything about any members on this site in a bad way, and keep my comments to the situation at hand also adding a bit of humour at times.

I also appreciate, even though a post from a " non-sound mind", that the post was not pulled or censored.

I too have size 13 feet, OUCH. I truly appologize if the post was taken in a bad way.

I personally attribute my success in FTA to Iceberg and PSB. I was here when there were very few members, much less supporters and now we are huge.

There are people dedicating a good portion of their lives to make this place the most informative repository of satellite information available, and I thank them!

Keep it up guys!!! :bow

The post was not meant to be malicious or condescending. I truly appologize if it came out that way. I am also not jealous of the fact that Ice jumps to the pump everytime, I hopefully have contributed and helped someone out as well in the spirit of good ethics. I am of clear mind now and can understand why/if it was taken that way, albiet not my intent.
Nah don’t worry about it. We all have them days

I read icebergs posts and his quick witted humour and obvious good heart and I think, Wow, this guy should not devote so much time to a hobby. He should go out, socialize, enjoy life and not devote so much time, cooped up in a house scanning channels all day. In hindsight, me being so judgemental in this regard, isn't fair nor "Nice". I don't honestly know if Ice does this, nor is it my business, and therefore, in poor taste to judge another persons interests.
I know when I was younger, I’d “enjoy life” way too much and that got me in some major trouble. So I try not to do that very often. Honestly I’m not cooped up in the house. But when you’ve had a long day at work, I just like to go home and relax. That plus the fact that I drive 32 miles one way to work (and the gas prices) I really don’t want to go do anything when I get home. I just fire up the internet and check a few things and go work on a project (tinkering). I pop in during the night a couple times but usually I’m working on other projects. I’m electronic savvy (been that way since I was a kid…I always wanted to see how to get that distant TV station 75 miles away) and have been since (working at Radio Shack will do that to you) but like my dad says “let me give you a hammer” (he’s in roofing and construction). My comeback is “let me give you a remote” :D Now that its getting warmer, I’ll be at the cabin/cottage/lake house more on weekends. And no we don't have any FTA there. The only FTA that is up there is when I take the small dish and hook it up to Nimiq1 for the audio since radio at the cabin sucks.

I agree with all the posts regarding Ice's help, understanding and honest advice, much appreciated, and also the comment regarding something to the effect... "it seems a life long friend has answered your question". I totally agree, and that really is a good part of the reason why I made the post. Think of it this way....if you had a friend that appeared to be doing something that you thought isn't in his/her best interest, you might make a subtle comment or confront them on it and past judgement, right. Thats really all I was doing here, just my two cents, albiet in hindsight, I shouldn't have.
I understand. I do it all the time to a buddy of mine (but then again, he hasn’t had a job in 3 years). Most people know this is my “hobby” which may have turned into something a little more. But as my mom says “well, at least you’re not spending money on drugs or other stuff” (yes I am 30 and the oldest but my mom still says stuff like that…and she has 2 other kids and 3 grandkids). I just like to have fun and help people out. I have always been like that (helping people out).

For the record as well, I have never said anything about any members on this site in a bad way, and keep my comments to the situation at hand also adding a bit of humour at times.

I also appreciate, even though a post from a " non-sound mind", that the post was not pulled or censored.
Nah. We don’t try to censor people. I may have questioned it right away but since people already had responded I just let it go. We all have days like that. PSB has seen some of the PM’s I sent him after a bad day at work. Believe me, they’re not pretty :D

I too have size 13 feet, OUCH. I truly appologize if the post was taken in a bad way.
14 here and I have inserted it a few times

Sharris, you have confirmed my good opinion of you. Been a few times that i have had a little bit too much "happy hour" and have said things that were misconstrued. I only have a size 11, and it still hurts when i insert it orally :D
Take care and happy FTA'ing,
Doc

Iceberg said:
PSB has seen some of the PM’s I sent him after a bad day at work. Believe me, they’re not pretty :D

Thats putting it mildly :D

All is well that ends well :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)