Raspy, distorted sound from 91W C band?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pittsville

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
38N 75W
I tried to listen to some radio channels on 91W C band and it seemed like they all had fuzzy distorted sound. I noticed the same thing on some of the TV channels on 91W. I switched amplifiers that I was using as I had just set up the Azbox and manually aimed the dish, but the problem remained. Then I connected the speakers to the monitor that was getting sound through the HDMI connector instead of the RCA audio out jacks, and it still was fuzzy and raspy sounding. I don't have a good way to move the dish so I haven't tried another satellite yet, or another receiver.

My questions are what should the default audio settings be on the Azbox? I tried changing them and made the audio louder but not clearer. I have it set to Dolby on, and everything else is set to PCM not RAW. The last one is set to LINE MODE as opposed to RF MODE. I would like to more about those audio settings and what they mean someday as well. My other question is whether or not this sound problem could be caused by the recent activity on the sun, or has anyone else noticed an audio problem on that satellite? One thing I forgot to mention is that since I have lost my dish mover I randomly pointed the dish and did a blind scan on a satellite that is out of my range, just to collect information on where I might be pointed. I got lucky and was aimed at 91W with very high signal and quality levels. I used the 65W satellite Star 1 C1 that was listed in the Azbox so the channels are in there as being on 65W. Could there be some settings the box holds for 65W that are different than 91W?? I didn't think so, but I don't know much about it.

No Azbox here, so can't help with that, but FWIW the sound is excellent on my receivers for those audio channels on 91c.
No raspy noises , static or anything, getting signal70/quality99 on my Icon box, its connected with a SPDIF cable, or whatever they call those things, right to my Yamaha A/V receiver. Must be your settings, try changing those you have to PCM over to Dolby-D or whatever Dolby choice you have.

I asked my x-wife to listen and she said the sound was OK and suggested that it's a hearing problem. I am hard of hearing and recently there was some kind of cold going around that blocked up my ears and made them worse. I have two hearing aids so I went out there this morning with them, and it sounded better for around an hour then it started sounding fuzzy and distorted again. I'm going to try to get another opinion before I do anything else. I'm out in a pole building with steel sides and a high roof, but I never had problems like this out there before. Maybe there is some echo or reverberation creating harmonics that are within the range of my hearing that a normal person would not hear or notice, due to their ears having wider frequency response. I can hear better now, than when I had that cold but I think there is still some hearing loss that I didn't have, before the cold. I always thought of hearing loss as needing more volume, but maybe this distortion sound is also caused by it. If the next person says the sound is OK then I guess I will know.

I just tryied several and they are ok no matter the setting . Audio is D D 2,0 sent as it is raw or bitstream to the onkyo processor.

Hope it clears up for ya pittsville, you probably answered your own question there. I'm no hearing loss expert, but I would think that it involves some loss of frequency range in the hearing, as well as the volume . Might still have some left over congestion that is aggravating your ability to hear.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts