Rather Big News from HDNet

David Dietzel said:
...It really doesn't matter to me what political party a journalist or any other professional registers with when voting...
True enough, but then an anchor's affiliation shouldn't be so obvious as it became with Rather when he was supposed to be doing his job just reporting the news, and not making it.

True - Rather didn't create the story, but he was soo reluctant to let it go. He really wanted it to be true, and he wanted to ride it to become the Bernstein/Woodward of the decade and bring this president down.

I agree Schieffer is great in the anchor role. What is CBS thinking giving it instead to Couric? I expect their dismal ratings to completely tank. CBS has now lost ALL credibility with me...

houselog442 said:
Yes, but McCarthy was right, almost everyone he accused of communism was true! McCarthyism has been damned by communist liberals for years because McCarthyism exposes the truth about who liberals really are and what they are about!

The only thing that I can see McCarthy having to do with this discussion is that he was eventually exposed by none other than Edward R. Murrow. Now there's a CBS newsman that we could use today.

BTW ... It must be quite amazing to have satellite television when you're still living in the fifties.

Did you guys feel the same about Fox News when Snow moved from a 'journalist' to 'Press Secretary'? Now that's proof of objectivity, baby ;)!

Seriously, I think folks should wait and see what the news style and content of Rather's program is like when it's actually on the air, then judge. Y'think? Ditto-heads might not want to see for themselves before assessing, I know, but still, couldn't hurt.

Funny!

Tom Bombadil said:
Rather didn't forge any documents. He, and his researchers, were simply taken in by a con artist.

Just like several conservative news agencies were taken in by the Swift Boat people.

I think this is a big item for Cuban & HDNET. Whether or not everyone will like him isn't that important, this is more like a small market football or baseball team landing a big name free agent. It attracts attention. Cuban will get several million dollars worth of publicity from it.

The "Conservative News Agencies" were taken in? Each and every one of the so called "Swift Boat Peoples'" allegations can be verified from Public Knowledge garnered using the Freedom of Information Act. The only thing that can be verified using that same act from CBS is that, at best, the information cannot be verified and, at worst, is a total fabrication. :rolleyes:

Ha! Did you ever read the independent reports on the Swift Boat situation?

Every person on the deck of Kerry's boat backed his version. The guy in the water backed it. And the commander and 2nd in command on the closest boat to them came out and backed Kerry's version. So that is something like the 6 or 7 closest eye witnesses all backing Kerry.

If this had been a legal action, the Swift Boaters would have been laughed out of court for lack of evidence.

As to Rather, I predict that he will significant increase the viewership of HDNET's news.

And as to his politics, on a 0-10 scale with 0 being conservative, I would rate Rather as about a 6. Perhaps, hopefully, he will move to the left on his new show.

Tom Bombadil said:
Ha! Did you ever read the independent reports on the Swift Boat situation?

Every person on the deck of Kerry's boat backed his version. The guy in the water backed it. And the commander and 2nd in command on the closest boat to them came out and backed Kerry's version. So that is something like the 6 or 7 closest eye witnesses all backing Kerry.

If this had been a legal action, the Swift Boaters would have been laughed out of court for lack of evidence.

As to Rather, I predict that he will significant increase the viewership of HDNET's news.

And as to his politics, on a 0-10 scale with 0 being conservative, I would rate Rather as about a 6. Perhaps, hopefully, he will move to the left on his new show.

Goes to show your ideology. So you want Dan Rather to be a bigger communist pinko than he already is? There is no such think as liberals or conservatives, its either capitalists and communists, and people who regard themselves as leftists or liberals are really just communists!

houselog442 said:
Goes to show your ideology. So you want Dan Rather to be a bigger communist pinko than he already is? There is no such think as liberals or conservatives, its either capitalists and communists, and people who regard themselves as leftists or liberals are really just communists!
Wow. That is possibly the stupidest thing I have ever read.

Tom Bombadil said:
Rather didn't forge any documents. He, and his researchers, were simply taken in by a con artist.

Just like several conservative news agencies were taken in by the Swift Boat people.

I think this is a big item for Cuban & HDNET. Whether or not everyone will like him isn't that important, this is more like a small market football or baseball team landing a big name free agent. It attracts attention. Cuban will get several million dollars worth of publicity from it.

Ummm suuuurrrrreeeee. He knew it was lies and the swift boat ads were TRUE!!! Have another glass of kool-aid, nothing has come out to disprove the swift boat vets. Why wont kerry open his medical records?

bhelms said:
True - Rather didn't create the story, but he was soo reluctant to let it go. He really wanted it to be true, and he wanted to ride it to become the Bernstein/Woodward of the decade and bring this president down.

No, Rather and company committed the biggest sin in Journalism. He did not get two confirmed sources.

Even the N00B coming directly out of Journalism school understands this.

"Woodstein" was forced to get 2 sources - and at times more when Ben Bradley had doubts.

Rather wanted it to be true so he threw Journalistic Ethics out the window.

He got what he deserved.

houselog442 said:
Yes, but McCarthy was right, almost everyone he accused of communism was true! McCarthyism has been damned by communist liberals for years because McCarthyism exposes the truth about who liberals really are and what they are about!

Houselog,

Wow, didn't know Ann Coulter posted here. BTW when did you, err, Ann get that gender reassignment from being a GUY. :D

John

JohnL said:
Houselog,

Wow, didn't know Ann Coulter posted here. BTW when did you, err, Ann get that gender reassignment from being a GUY. :D

John

Typical from communist liberals who have the truth smacked right into thier faces. They have to resort to flaming because thats what terrorist loving communist pinkos do best, since the truth is never on thier side!

houselog442 said:
Typical from communist liberals who have the truth smacked right into thier faces. They have to resort to flaming because thats what terrorist loving communist pinkos do best, since the truth is never on thier side!
OK. Now I realize you're just pulling our legs. Nobody actually says ridiculous horsesh*t like that anymore, do they? You're just doing an exxagerated impression of one of those wackos they used to show in the movies or on TV, like Archie Bunker or Joe McCarthy. You really had me going for a while. Good one!

GaryPen said:
OK. Now I realize you're just pulling our legs. Nobody actually says ridiculous horsesh*t like that anymore, do they? You're just doing an exxagerated impression of one of those wackos they used to show in the movies or on TV, like Archie Bunker or Joe McCarthy. You really had me going for a while. Good one!

Nope. Check out his other posts outside of this thread. Everyone who disagrees with him is appparently a 'communist pinko'.

GaryPen said:

AHHHH.....no...that is REALLY HIM! LOL ...GOD bless his heart. He is notorious for turning a conversation in a heart beat...I think he strives for it. He can turn a conversation about selling Girl Scout cookies for your daughter into a war between the 'commie pinkos' at the Boy Scouts vs. the 'dikey womens lib Girl Scouts'....funny though, when politics is NOT involved...he makes good points and seem like a heart DOES beat somewhere.....:D

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Sto...152-4490DFBEBF38}&siteid=myyahoo&dist=myyahoo

For openers, CBS has concocted a brilliant media strategy for introducing Couric to a new evening-news audience. Further, by a stroke of sheer good fortune for CBS, the tour coincided with the media onslaught orchestrated by Dan Rather. You all remember him, right? Rather, 74, was banished by CBS News and has agreed to work with Mark Cuban's HDNet operation.

Every time Rather opens his mouth to complain oh-so-gently but pointedly about CBS' shabby treatment of him, CBS head Leslie Moonves and network news leader Sean McManus must look to the heavens and silently mouth the words: "Thank you!" In a media business where there is really no such thing as bad publicity, Rather is unwittingly keeping Couric's name in the news.

So Cuban has hired Dan Rather( I assume that is still the subject of this discussion and not Coulter-geist.) Cuban is not afraid to spend money on HDNET but why just have 2 HD stations when he could launch a satellite? I guess that Mark has some money left after his NBA fines. He's been fined over $1 million dollars during his tenure as Mavericks owner. At the rate of $1 mil a year in fines he would go broke in 1.8 thousand years.

Last edited:
You know, maybe CBS has the right idea and Cuban should give us a news babe in HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts