Raven Matt Stover- Franchise's Greatest Player!?

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
BillD started a thread a few pages back titled: "Your-City-Region's- Top-20- All-Time-Athletes". Similarly, ESPN recently conducted a poll among thousands of fans to determine which individual football player should be considered the "Franchise" player for that particular team. The AFC North results are in and there is 1 MAJOR surprise!

First let me recap....

Steelers- Terry Bradshaw
Browns- Jim Brown
Bengals- Anthony Munoz
Ravens- Matt Stover?!!!! :eek:

Are you kidding me? Baltimore passed up on choosing future HOFers Ray Lewis or Jonathan Ogden to instead pick a stupid kicker!? (BTW, Stover is the last remaining ex-Brown if I remember correctly). What a laugher!

See the complete story and link here........

ESPN - AFC North

BillD started a thread a few pages back titled: "Your-City-Region's- Top-20- All-Time-Athletes". Similarly, ESPN recently conducted a poll among thousands of fans to determine which individual football player should be considered the "Franchise" player for that particular team. The AFC North results are in and there is 1 MAJOR surprise!

First let me recap....

Steelers- Terry Bradshaw
Browns- Jim Brown
Bengals- Anthony Munoz
Ravens- Matt Stover?!!!! :eek:

Are you kidding me? Baltimore passed up on choosing future HOFers Ray Lewis or Jonathan Ogden to instead pick a stupid kicker!? (BTW, Stover is the last remaining ex-Brown if I remember correctly). What a laugher!

See the complete story and link here........

ESPN - AFC North

Matt Stover!??? Are you freakin' kidding me! OMG, Ray Lewis is a no-brainer.
In fact, out of the four listed, Lewis and Jim Brown (who I consider is in the top three in NFL history) are the only "no-brainers". I agree with the Munoz selection, but one could make an argument for Kenny Anderson. However, I don't agree with the Terry Bradshaw selection, I would have chosen Jack Lambert. I'd like to hear what some of the Steelers fans, like risnuff and others, think about this.

I thought the same thing upon seeing that Bill, and when thinking of who would be a better choice, Walker listed the same three names I had in mind: "Mean Joe" Greene, Jack Lambert, and Franco Harris.

Greene was the Chuck Noll's first ever draft pick and the first big piece of the Steelers' dynasty. Franco meanwhile probably lost points because he finished his career as a Seahawk.

Bradshaw career statistics are mediocre and he was injured quite a bit in his career. But he got it done in the big games, could scramble when he needed to, and had a hell of an arm. He got the votes from the fans because he's the easy choice and is seen by many to be the face of that 70s dynasty.

jack%20lambert.jpg

^

Personally, I think THAT was the face of the dynasty. I'd have to call Lambert the greatest Steeler ever, because he may very well be the best to ever play his position.

I thought the same thing upon seeing that Bill, and when thinking of who would be a better choice, Walker listed the same three names I had in mind: "Mean Joe" Greene, Jack Lambert, and Franco Harris.

Greene was the Chuck Noll's first ever draft pick and the first big piece of the Steelers' dynasty. Franco meanwhile probably lost points because he finished his career as a Seahawk.

Bradshaw career statistics are mediocre and he was injured quite a bit in his career. But he got it done in the big games, could scramble when he needed to, and had a hell of an arm. He got the votes from the fans because he's the easy choice and is seen by many to be the face of that 70s dynasty.

jack%20lambert.jpg

^

Personally, I think THAT was the face of the dynasty. I'd have to call Lambert the greatest Steeler ever, because he may very well be the best to ever play his position.

Risnuff,
as usual well said. :up In another thread I stated that the Bears were the most dominant single season ('85) team that I've ever seen. Well, that Steelers team was the best team, over a 4-5 year period, that I've ever seen. Case closed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts