RAYS will drastically cut payroll even if the win WS... Marlins 1997 dejavu?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
RAYS will drastically cut payroll even if they win WS... Marlins 1997 dejavu?

I knew this was gonna happen. Until that team gets a legit stadium in the proper part of town, they are just not gonna drawn. They had the Yankees in town, late in the season and seperated by ONE GAME....and they STILL could not sell the game out. They averaged 29,000+

Wed Sep 22 12:40pm PDT

The Rays will cut payroll, even if they win the World Series

No matter what happens the rest of this season, the realities facing the Tampa Bay Rays will not change all that much.

They'll still play in a small market with small television revenue. They'll still rank near the bottom in attendance. They'll still be playing in an antiquated ballpark that's devoid of extra revenue streams. They still won't be any closer to getting a new home from area voters.

Considering those factors, Rays owner Stu Sternberg didn't hesitate to point out on Tuesday that nothing can stop the inevitable salary purge that's coming to Tropicana Field after this season.

Not even winning the World Series.

From the St. Petersburg Times:

"No question. Nothing can change that,'' Sternberg said before Tuesday's game. "Unfortunately there's nothing that can happen between now and April that can change that unless Joe Maddon hits the lottery and wants to donate it, or I hit the lottery.''

Sternberg wouldn't say how low the payroll may go, though he said in spring training it wouldn't reach even the $60-million range. "I don't have a plan in mind what the lower (end) is,'' he said. "I just know it's going down.''

Sternberg is just being honest, but our pal Cork Gaines over on Rays Index doesn't like the timing of his team's owner decision to down some truth serum. Gaines thinks that Sternberg just fed the national media a ready-made storyline for the postseason. He's convinced that once the "this year's Rays are the new 1997 Florida Marlins!" meme takes hold that it's going to grow into an uncontrollable Frankenstein that's mentioned every half-inning.

Now maybe I consume too much specialized baseball media via blogs and dedicated reporters instead of monitoring more mainstream outlets, but I just don't see it Gaines' way (though I do appreciate his concern for the well being of his team's public image).

I think it's been a well-known storyline that the Rays will have to lop off around $15-20 million from their current payroll of $72 million. But I also think that story has been repeated with the assurances that GM Andrew Friedman knows what he's doing and has a plan. Franchise cornerstones like Evan Longoria(notes) and David Price(notes) are locked up. Young Desmond Jennings(notes) will fill Carl Crawford's(notes) spot in the outfield. Carlos Pena and his $10.25 million salary will move on from first base, but it was about time for that anyway.

Now, will these elements (and others) be specifically mentioned when the media paratroopers drop in on the story? Maybe. Maybe not.

But I do think the pre-established storyline of "Rays are frugal baseball geniuses who plan well" will carry enough weight to douse the fire sale theme before it gets out of control.

The Rays will cut payroll, even if they win the World Series - Big League Stew - MLB* - Yahoo! Sports

Now, for those that state 'that's just a blog rumor/report'...

Win or lose, end draws near for this group of Rays

Rays' owner Sternberg: Payroll plan set

Last edited:
I knew this was gonna happen. Until that team gets a legit stadium in the proper part of town, they are just not gonna drawn. They had the Yankees in town, late in the season and seperated by ONE GAME....and they STILL could not sell the game out. They averaged 29,000+

The Rays will cut payroll, even if they win the World Series - Big League Stew - MLB* - Yahoo! Sports

Now, for those that state 'that's just a blog rumor/report'...

Win or lose, end draws near for this group of Rays

Rays' owner Sternberg: Payroll plan set

Let the Carl Crawford sweepstakes commence!!

This situation has me so torn. I HATE that owners take cities AND states hostage for new almost billion dollar stadiums...yet I know that once this team were to get a legit stadium, they would be able to afford some of those key players that they more than likely will lose.

They'll still be a contender NEXT YEAR.

Sure, they'll miss Crawford but Carlos Pena (and his $10 million) is a part they can replace on the cheap. Plus they have their two biggest stars (David Price and Evan Longoria) locked up.

I think there's a huge difference between the '97 Marlins and this Rays team: The Rays have a lot of their young talent under team control, the Marlins were more a team of solid veteran players that came together to win a championship.

Off the top of my head, Jeff Conine, Moises Alou, Devon White, Rob Nen, Charles Johnson, Gary Sheffield, Dennis Cook and Mike Vosburg? all went elsewhere following the '97 season. The Rays purge will be no where near that drastic!

And since then, they are at 95% capacity at every game....correct?

this year they are pretty much at capacity.....the Twins sell some SRO tickets for each game so they have attendance figures at 40,000 or more or so and the stadium "seats" 39504 so yeah they're at 100% capacity each game

Also the agreements the Twins had in the dome (% of vendor money, suites etc) sucked as the Vikings were the original tenant for the dome...the Twins were an afterthought.

I think there's a huge difference between the '97 Marlins and this Rays team: The Rays have a lot of their young talent under team control, the Marlins were more a team of solid veteran players that came together to win a championship.

Off the top of my head, Jeff Conine, Moises Alou, Devon White, Rob Nen, Charles Johnson, Gary Sheffield, Dennis Cook and Mike Vosburg? all went elsewhere following the '97 season. The Rays purge will be no where near that drastic!

I agree for the most part...BUT dropping $20 million PLUS from the payroll(rumor has it somewhere between 20-27 million) and going from almost $80 million to just under $60 million is not losing a fingernail off a hand, that's more like losing a few fingers! :eek:

They will STILL be able to compete, but they will not win the division or be close to it like thay are now.

"You get what you pay for" applies everywhere, infortunately....:(

this year they are pretty much at capacity.....the Twins sell some SRO tickets for each game so they have attendance figures at 40,000 or more or so and the stadium "seats" 39504 so yeah they're at 100% capacity each game

Also the agreements the Twins had in the dome (% of vendor money, suites etc) sucked as the Vikings were the original tenant for the dome...the Twins were an afterthought.

THAT is more or less the agreement that was going on between the Marlins and the Dolphins.

IN the AL East dropping 20 million is drastic....if they played in another division they still would be very competitive. Look at the Twins in the 00's...5 division titles in the 2000's and payroll wasnt the greatest

THAT is more or less the agreement that was going on between the Marlins and the Dolphins.

but the Marlins came after the stadium was built right?

Heck when the dome was built we lost 2 stadiums at the same time (Met Stadium and Memorial Stadium for the Gophers) and its been no secret that Calvin Griffith HATED the dome...but pressure from folks and the crumbling Met forced them to move there

Funny thing, when I was vacationing in St. Pete this summer, passed by the stadium many times, its too bad its in a area where all there seems to be is the stadium, unless I missed something not much going on around the park with resturants and such.

but the Marlins came after the stadium was built right?

Heck when the dome was built we lost 2 stadiums at the same time (Met Stadium and Memorial Stadium for the Gophers) and its been no secret that Calvin Griffith HATED the dome...but pressure from folks and the crumbling Met forced them to move there

Yes....The Marlins came after and Joe Robbie(built the stadium with private funds) made sure that whomever owned the stadium, would reap the rewards.

The Rays are hoping Desmond Johnson fills Carl Crawford's spot, and Jeremy Hellickson (sp) becomes another outstanding starter. This is how teams are able to spend less money and still stay competitive. Johnson and Hellickson are two jewels of the entire minor league baseball system.

Sandra

IN the AL East dropping 20 million is drastic....if they played in another division they still would be very competitive. Look at the Twins in the 00's...5 division titles in the 2000's and payroll wasnt the greatest

Cutting 20 million from their payroll will make them Toronto Blue Jays south.:(

Did someone say the 2007 Marlins? Ugh. I still get a sick to my stomach feeling when thinking about that series. :(

Oh please. If you didn't illegally attack Joba with midget bugs you wouldn't have been there in the first place. :p :D

Sandra

They'll still be playing in an antiquated ballpark that's devoid of extra revenue streams.
That stadium is only 20 years old. The City of St. Petersburg built it (against the advice of MLB) to lure an MLB team from another city. They had the misfortune to build it just before "mallparks" caught on. Remember that the Giants were going to leave San Francisco in 1992 and play there.

As I remember, the Giants wanted to leave San Francisco to go there, and the city found a loophole to keep them. They are now playing in AT&T Park. Talk about blind luck!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)