RC71 & and The 54

Status
Please reply by conversation.

inazsully

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Sun City West, AZ
It's been mentioned twice here about the Peanut remote not working the 54. At least not with AVR'S yet the Universal remote will. Is this a common occurance?

It will work just fine for the HR54 itself, but be prepared to have your AVR remote handy, possible even for volume. It works for some, doesn't for others. Just like clients and HR34's.

Are you kidding me? How can anybody find that acceptable? For years Directv and Dish remotes have been able to operate AVR's. How do they come out with a sophisticated new DVR and fail to offer a remote that works as well as their old remotes? It's not like the Genie came out last month. The HR54 is third generation. It seems like the 65 will do the job but the 71 won't. I'm coming back to Directv after 10 years so I certainly hope the 71 works or the tech has a 65 on his truck. I guess I won't cancel Dish till after the install.

Are you kidding me? How can anybody find that acceptable? For years Directv and Dish remotes have been able to operate AVR's. How do they come out with a sophisticated new DVR and fail to offer a remote that works as well as their old remotes? It's not like the Genie came out last month. The HR54 is third generation. It seems like the 65 will do the job but the 71 won't. I'm coming back to Directv after 10 years so I certainly hope the 71 works or the tech has a 65 on his truck. I guess I won't cancel Dish till after the install.

I agree that the RC71 remote is a step backwards. That seems to be the trend. My new TV remote is such a cumbersome piece of junk. No number buttons, no source buttons, nothing but power, back, home, play/pause, clicky loud channel and volume buttons, and a button to press to get numbers on the screen which is extremely cumbersome.

Hopefully things will work out for you, like I said, it must work for many or else the forums would be flooded with posts instead of the sprinkling.

I hated that series of remotes when it came out ....
Enough to invest in a UR MX 890.
Which btw, handles All my different electronic. ..

The current Peanut remote went to a different frequency, therefore making in incompatible with older recvrs RF wise, also is very lacking in design.

Many things you can do with the older White remote you can no longer do.... definitely a huge step back.

My initial thought, although admittedly emotionally generated, is to not accept the install if the equipment will not perform as advertised. If the RC71 will not function properly with my Sony 1050 AVR should I consider that as not performing as advertised? Based on past performance of remotes I think it should be assumed that a new remote would perform at least as effectively as a older designed remote. Scott, what is Directv's position on these complaints?

My initial thought, although admittedly emotionally generated, is to not accept the install if the equipment will not perform as advertised. If the RC71 will not function properly with my Sony 1050 AVR should I consider that as not performing as advertised? Based on past performance of remotes I think it should be assumed that a new remote would perform at least as effectively as a older designed remote. Scott, what is Directv's position on these complaints?
It won't get you out of a contract if you are currently in one. You can always refuse a new installation for any reason. The equipment would work as advertised, because there is no guarantee that the remote will work with anything other than the Directv equipment.

DirecTV does not claim the remote will work with your AVR. They don't even claim it will work with your TV since new TVs often have a different codeset. Personally I am amazed people think a $5 remote should do this anyway. Get a programmable universal remote, then you can control all your equipment.

Reactions: Jimbo
Don't let the remote keep you from Directv. Like I said, the RC65 remote is cheap online and should do everything you want it to do, should the installer not have one.

DirecTV does not claim the remote will work with your AVR. They don't even claim it will work with your TV since new TVs often have a different codeset. Personally I am amazed people think a $5 remote should do this anyway. Get a programmable universal remote, then you can control all your equipment.

Why not? When the RC65 series remote does everything most need it to do, and it used to be free with older equipment, there's no reason to expect a new remote to be inferior... I would say that older Directv equipment DOES say that it works with other equipment, since, you know, there's a SLIDER CLEARLY LABELED THAT!

Texas, the literature highlights the Enter button and states this. "To cycle through the equipment connected to your TV, press and hold for 3 seconds until LED light at top turns green. Then scroll through inputs by pressing Enter again". Obviously this does not guarantee that all pieces of equipment can be controlled but it certainly infers that most reasonably current basic components, like AVR's should be expected to work.

I just thought of something. I am getting two mini's one of which is a 4K Mini. Will I get more than one remote and if so will they all three be 71's?

Curiosity made me look for some of my old "D" remotes. I found five. RC24, RC32RF, Hughes-HRMC-8, RCA-RF-UNIVERSAL (it's black), RCA-no model that I can find but it's long and grey with single row stacked double A batteries. The last two have a button for controlling a VCR so they must be pretty old. I had a "D" remote that was lighted and it was a option back in the day ( probably about 15 years ago)

The install went great and I did get three RC73 remotes (it does work my Sony STR1050 AVR). I've spent the last 24 hours familiarizing myself with the Genie and it's remote. I'm trying very hard not to be prejudice since I've had the Hopper for 4 years but my comparison so far greatly favors the Hopper. I do see an improvement in PQ though and that was my main reason for switching. Not to mention saving some coin.

Reactions: ejb1980
people get entirely too emotional over these remotes. i was able to get those peanut remote programmed to about 95% of TVs/soundbars/AVRs. those that i couldnt were usually so off branded, they'd probably never heard of them in Taiwan. sometimes it took a little ingenuity to get the remotes set up, but having an installer with half a brain goes a long way.

Remotes in 2016 should be very easy to set up and require no ingenuity at all. It's not rocket science. The old remotes, I mean 10 years ago and more, had a button or slide bar so you could select AVR, DVD, TV, AUX. There are some really innovative universal remotes out there so obviously the technology is readily available. Comcast and Cox both have remotes that light up when you move them then turn off after a few seconds of being stationary (saves the batteries). With the newly released streaming capabilities, on demand, Netflix and a bunch of other different options, switching to 4K, even 3D etc. I don't think it's too much to expect a remote that can be easily programmable, handle multiple devices, be usable in the dark, and even be attractive. "D" actually did have a lighted remote once upon a time, back in the 20th century. By the way, why did "D" do away with the RC65 and replace it with the RC71/73?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)