Re: Bud Ribbon Cable

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nascar man

Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Hello,
is it possible to make your own c band ribbon cable by just buying some RG6 coxial cable and 22 and 23 Gauge wire that you can pick up at your local home center. I have such a long run (around 125 ft) that it might be a better option for me.
any one got any suggestions on doing that
tks

I don't see why not! Make me 100' while your at it :)

The below should say RG6 of course :) (Soon will)

Attachments

• Cables_1.gif
    Cables_1.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 188
Do not see why not.

nascar man said:
Hello,
is it possible to make your own c band ribbon cable by just buying some RG6 coxial cable and 22 and 23 Gauge wire that you can pick up at your local home center. I have such a long run (around 125 ft) that it might be a better option for me.
any one got any suggestions on doing that
tks

But i would think you would have to tie wrap or tape it to keep it orderly. You will need a large opening to pass it thru!

BTW: after you make PSB's...I would like another 100 ft!:D

My orig ribbon is over 20yrs old and has also been dug up and moved from my other house 12 yrs ago! Got my money's worth and still going strong!:)

This is basically what I'm doing for part of my run. I've got ribbon cable from the dish to a weather-proof box just outside of the house, but then ran individual cables from the box into the house. My wiring run was way to tight to ever get a big ribbon cable through.

Mike

nascar man said:
Hello,
is it possible to make your own c band ribbon cable by just buying some RG6 coxial cable and 22 and 23 Gauge wire that you can pick up at your local home center.

That's ok, but you'll need two heavier wires for the DC feed to the actuator.

Most of my antennas use homemade ribbon cables. A lot cheaper than commercial ribbon cable. Some say that the motor operation will cause interference with the actuator position sensor but I haven't had any problems. I use a heavier wire than you suggest, at least 16 awg for the actuator and 18 awg for the other wires. You might want to make sure the wires are rated for outdoor use also. Have fun.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

C-Band Analog VC II

Ku band 4DTV receivers ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts