Trenching Conduit from BUD to House

Captain Midnight

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
Greers Ferry, Arkansas
Okay, I am prepping to move into a new house. We are planning on it being a long term residence, so I want to trench and bury my dish cables in conduit. What size pipe or conduit do you use/recommend? I am planning on running 2 leads of RG-11 BTW. And a 16ga M1/M2 wire with 18ga shielded wire for my Reed sensor

I have 1-1/2" conduit for the cabling on one of my C-Band dishes. In that conduit are a ribbon cable with two coaxes motor cable and polarotor cable. Also a siamese twin coax and a single coax for the OTA antenna attached to the back of the dish mount. I used four coaxes for a Bullseye II ortho feed for a long time but using a C only ortho and a separate Ku dish now.
So there were seven cables in that conduit and it was as tight as you can get. I had to lube them to get them pulled through.
My other C-Band dish has a short run underground and I use a 2-1/2 ' corrugated plastic tubing, real flexible like a vacuum hose that I found in a surplus yard. There is a two coax, motor & polarotor ribbon and four single cables in that with a cat5 network cable as well.

Reactions: Captain Midnight
I have 1-1/2" conduit for the cabling on one of my C-Band dishes. In that conduit are a ribbon cable with two coaxes motor cable and polarotor cable. Also a siamese twin coax and a single coax for the OTA antenna attached to the back of the dish mount. I used four coaxes for a Bullseye II ortho feed for a long time but using a C only ortho and a separate Ku dish now.
So there were seven cables in that conduit and it was as tight as you can get. I had to lube them to get them pulled through.
My other C-Band dish has a short run underground and I use a 2-1/2 ' corrugated plastic tubing, real flexible like a vacuum hose that I found in a surplus yard. There is a two coax, motor & polarotor ribbon and four single cables in that with a cat5 network cable as well.
I've really wanted a Bullseye II but never could justify the expense

IIRC, RG11 is just under 0.5" diameter so 1.5" conduit should work for 2 RG11 plus a few more wires. I know you know this but cut a few short lengths of the wire and conduit you think should work to verify it fits to your liking. Are you planning on using schedule 40 PVC or EMT?

1-1/2-2" ought to do it. Gray conduit if you can. Stay away from schedule 20.
You might also consider a small tub of pipe-snot and a fish line.
Makes the future much easier. Mine's in the dirt since the mid 80's.

Reactions: c-spand
I HIGHLY suggest you use a larger size than you think. IF you ever have to pull new wires, you'll thank me.

IMO, 1-1/2" - 2" is the minimum size, and I suggest black coiled pipe that has no joints...

Pull a thin nylon rope through at the same time, and leave it in the pipe for later. That's another thing you'll thank me for...

Okay, I am prepping to move into a new house. We are planning on it being a long term residence, so I want to trench and bury my dish cables in conduit. What size pipe or conduit do you use/recommend? I am planning on running 2 leads of RG-11 BTW. And a 16ga M1/M2 wire with 18ga shielded wire for my Reed sensor
I used 3/4 inch gray plastic and already wish I had used bigger!

Reactions: FTA4PA
Did mine with some leftover 1 1/2 sch 40 Cantex PVC conduit from when I ran power to the shed, I put plastic weather heads on em cuz it fills with rainwater otherwise. So far it fits one rg6, a pair of 14 awg stranded wire, and a shielded 18-4 cable. Should have room for another rg6. I also have a good Greenlee fish tape which helped

I used 2" PVC when I laid mine 18 years ago and it's been fine. As others have suggested pull an extra string through for future use. I also suggest to use two 45 deg angle fittings rather than a single 90 deg at each end. Makes it easier pulling cable through.
Carlon long sweeps from the electrical dept.
Dont forget the pipe snot. lol!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)