Re-cast being discontinued

mwdxer1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2015
Seaside Oregon
I read today that Amazon has discontinued the Re-cast. I guess the current ones will continue to function. No wonder I have not gotten Amazon to update their guide. So, it looks like I will in time have to find another set up to keep an up to date guide. This is disappointing news. We buy the product only to find the company discontinues it. I went with it because I could add a bigger HDD and also for the free guide. Can someone suggest another unit that offers a free OTA guide/DVR function?

• Sad
Reactions: dishdude
Where did you get your information that Amazon is discontinuing the Recast? I searched the web and could not find that. Amazon is still selling their Recast TV. If they were discontinuing the Recast would they still be selling the unit?

Where did you get your information that Amazon is discontinuing the Recast? I searched the web and could not find that. Amazon is still selling their Recast TV. If they were discontinuing the Recast would they still be selling the unit?

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I read today that Amazon has discontinued the Re-cast. I guess the current ones will continue to function. No wonder I have not gotten Amazon to update their guide. So, it looks like I will in time have to find another set up to keep an up to date guide. This is disappointing news. We buy the product only to find the company discontinues it. I went with it because I could add a bigger HDD and also for the free guide. Can someone suggest another unit that offers a free OTA guide/DVR function?
The AirTV2 or AirTv Anywhere have free guide. Products | AirTV

• Love
Reactions: MikeD-C05

Can't say I'm surprised. My Tablo works pretty good at the moment. They are killing the commercial skip though which kind of sucks. We don't use it so much that it matters a whole lot.

The AirTV2 or AirTv Anywhere have free guide. Products | AirTV
Does the Air2 have a decent guide? I checked out the Tablo and it gets the guide from TV Guide. I clicked on the OTA TV Guide via TV Guide online and found no listings for Astoria OR, even though we have one Class A and 5 translators with 35 OTA channels. Dish's guide is really messed up. Has been for years. The ReCast is okay, but has not updated their guide info in a couple of years so a few channels have no guide. I wouldn't mind buying another DVR box, but I want a good 2 week guide. The good online guide is Titan. They are the best and is accurate on all OTA channels here. Finding a box with an accurate 2 week guide has been challenging to say the least!

Does the Air2 have a decent guide? I checked out the Tablo and it gets the guide from TV Guide. I clicked on the OTA TV Guide via TV Guide online and found no listings for Astoria OR, even though we have one Class A and 5 translators with 35 OTA channels. Dish's guide is really messed up. Has been for years. The ReCast is okay, but has not updated their guide info in a couple of years so a few channels have no guide. I wouldn't mind buying another DVR box, but I want a good 2 week guide. The good online guide is Titan. They are the best and is accurate on all OTA channels here. Finding a box with an accurate 2 week guide has been challenging to say the least!
I have the original model Airtv dual tuner. It's no longer hooked up right now, but it did have a very good guide. As for this newer version, I don't know personally, but here's the Avsforum thread. IF they don't know, nobody does:

I have the Air tv Anywhere ota dvr with 4 ota tuners. It has guide data for all my locals and sub channels. I also have the TABLO ota dvr and it has 14 days of information on it, complete guide information with locals and sub channels . IF you are going with Sling tv get the Air tv anywhere ota device for recording 4 things at the same time. If you just want a good ota dvr, I would pick the Tablo with 4 tuners. I have had that for over 2 years and it works well and very reliable on recordings.

I am waiting for an ATSC 3 capable DVR with either a free guide or a lifetime subscription. Also I want one that has an HDMI output instead of streaming over my local network.

Tablo comes close. But its not released yet and I don't want to pay them $5 a month for the rest of my life for a simple TV guide. Also, not being able to skip commercials (as mentioned in a prior post here) is a deal killer for me.

I might have to wait a very long time for a device that meets my specs........

Reactions: navychop
I am waiting for an ATSC 3 capable DVR with either a free guide or a lifetime subscription. Also I want one that has an HDMI output instead of streaming over my local network.

Tablo comes close. But its not released yet and I don't want to pay them $5 a month for the rest of my life for a simple TV guide. Also, not being able to skip commercials (as mentioned in a prior post here) is a deal killer for me.

I might have to wait a very long time for a device that meets my specs........
You can still skip commercials with Tablo. They are discontinuing the Auto skip feature like DISH has for shows recorded.

You can still skip commercials with Tablo. They are discontinuing the Auto skip feature like DISH has for shows recorded.
Thanks for clearing up my misinterpretation of post #6.

I took the time to completely read the web page Tablo TV Guide Data Subscription and I just learned that if you don't subscribe to the guide service, you still get 1 day's worth of the guide. (The subscription gets you 14 days).

A 1 day guide would be acceptable to me as long as it would still let you schedule recordings of recurring shows (e.g. the nightly news). Does it?

I have been checking the ATSC 3 Tablo status occasionally for many months and it seems to keep getting delayed longer than estimated.

.... As for Amazon's discontinuation of the Re-cast, I think it is probably related to ATSC 3. And Amazon might not have wanted to make the necessary investment to support it in the Re-cast, which would be substantial.

Thanks for clearing up my misinterpretation of post #6.

I took the time to completely read the web page Tablo TV Guide Data Subscription and I just learned that if you don't subscribe to the guide service, you still get 1 day's worth of the guide. (The subscription gets you 14 days).

A 1 day guide would be acceptable to me as long as it would still let you schedule recordings of recurring shows (e.g. the nightly news). Does it?

I have been checking the ATSC 3 Tablo status occasionally for many months and it seems to keep getting delayed longer than estimated.

.... As for Amazon's discontinuation of the Re-cast, I think it is probably related to ATSC 3. And Amazon might not have wanted to make the necessary investment to support it in the Re-cast, which would be substantial.
Sorry I mislead you with my post about commercial skip. I just meant the automatic skip, which has never been that reliable.

I like the Tablo fine. We have the Dual Lite which is plenty for what we watch. I've always had the annual subscription, and I believe it is required for series recordings:

"After the first 30 days, the optional TV Guide Data Service is recommended for the best cord cutting experience.

It enables some of Tablo's cooler features including series recordings..."

FWIW: you can still get a lifetime subscription through the end of the month for $180.

What about the Tivo Edge for Antenna? It is currently on sale for $299 which includes a lifetime subscription to the guide and other features. It only has 2 tuners, but that is enough for me. The interface looks really good. 4k, HDR10 and Dolby Vision support. Or is Tablo better?

What about the Tivo Edge for Antenna? It is currently on sale for $299 which includes a lifetime subscription to the guide and other features. It only has 2 tuners, but that is enough for me. The interface looks really good. 4k, HDR10 and Dolby Vision support. Or is Tablo better?
The plus about the Tablo is you only need one yet can use it in any room via the app (Roku type device/smart tv/etc), Tivo you can only use in that room.

Sorry I mislead you with my post about commercial skip. I just meant the automatic skip, which has never been that reliable.

I like the Tablo fine. We have the Dual Lite which is plenty for what we watch. I've always had the annual subscription, and I believe it is required for series recordings:

"After the first 30 days, the optional TV Guide Data Service is recommended for the best cord cutting experience.

It enables some of Tablo's cooler features including series recordings..."

FWIW: you can still get a lifetime subscription through the end of the month for $180.
It's OK, I should have read it more carefully. I have never tried automatic skip (if my Hopper Duo even has that capability.) But I do like the 30 second manual skip forward.

I currently have a very old (but still working) Tivo Series 3 with lifetime guide service. So I have no need for an ATSC 1.0 TiVo Edge. I wish TiVo would make an ATSC 3.0 DVR. But from what I have read at the Tivo Cummunity forum there is very little chance.

At the same forum I read about the possibility of Premium channels like HBO, Showtime, Discovery, etc. being offered OTA as paid services. Thats why, I think, Tablo wants to add DRM to their product before release.

Reactions: John Nv