Read Me First: Pre/Post-Installation FAQ for VOOM

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
<a name="Q-Top"></a>
Moderator Note: 3/31/05: We are currently updating the information on this thread.​

Credits: Would like give credit to subdude212, Rick214, svx94, Ilya, Darrellp, Seanb61, skakusha, Walter L., madpoet, PSB, nupe009, JasonBourne, Geno, Acerone, Poopsie for providing the information in this thread.

Voom has come a long way since it launched back in October 2003. This summary will give you a general overview of VOOM. We have tried to compile as much information as possible. There are also others FAQ. Such as VOOM STB FAQ (Motorola DSR-550) if you have specific questions regarding the VOOM stb.

<a name="Q1-0"></a>
VOOM Satellite Service

Voom is a new national Satellite Service that will provide over 37 High Definition (HD) channels and 97 Standard Definition (SD). 21 HD channels are all exclusive channels transmitting at 1080i and Dolby Digital 5.1 (commercial free). Voom officially launched on October 15, 2003. See Voom Press Conference Summary and Review

Rainbow 1 the Satellite launched on July 2003 is located at 61.5. If you want to check the relation of Voom's satellite to DirecTv and Dish look at this picture courtesy of Darrellp: relation of 61.5 Voom Dish to 119/110/101 phase 3 dish. The encoding currently used is mpeg-2. On March 2005 all channels were moved to Harmonic Encoders. These Harmonic encoders are MPEG-4 upgrable. There's a plan to change to MPEG-4 by last quarter of 2005. This will approximately double the capacity of SD channels as well as increase the capacity of HD channels to around 60! If you want to read more about this, read VOOM to employ Windows Media 9 . According to Voom Engineers, the stb is capable of doing either MPEG-4 or WM9 by adding a special module on the side of the STB. It has not been decided which format will be used.​
<a name="Q1-1"></a>
Any more Satellites besides Rainbow 1 for VOOM?

Voom announced on May 13th, 2004 (Rainbow Filed form 10 provided by Seanb61) that they have leased additional satellite capacity at 72 degree. 13 new Transponders will be leased as of 10/1/04. Subscribers will be able to access the signal from both satellites with a single elliptical satellite antenna that will be approximately 35" wide by 20" high. Voom expects to begin installing the new antennas before the October, 2004 transponder lease commencement date. VOOM will offer a free switch over of existing customers to the new antennas on a phased basis when they are available. As of 3/14/05 Voom has not used the satellite at 72 degrees. There has been different rumors that they will start using this satellite soon.​
<a name="Q1-1"></a>
What's Voom's future?

On January 20, 2005, CVC, Voom's parent company, decided to get out of the satellite business. They sold Rainbow 1 to Echostar Since then there has been quite a publicity between CVC (lead by James Dolan and the Board) to shut down VOOM, Charles and Tom Dolan have been able to maintain VOOM alive so far. But at this point, it is anybody's guess whether VOOM will make it past 3/31/05. You can read a chronology of this in ourVOOM Timeline thread.​
<a name="Q1-2"></a>
Will VOOM be able to provide Locals HD through 72 Degree Satellite?

The answer is not known. Voom, Rainbow DBS, invested $85 million, and owns a substantial interest in an entity that recently acquired licenses from the FCC. These licenses will provide multichannel video distribution and data service (MVDDS) in 46 metropolitan areas in the United States. These areas include the New York City market, although it is uncertain whether the entity may exploit that license in light of FCC cross-ownership restrictions. Rainbow DBS believes that these frequencies could be used in conjunction with its satellite services to provide local broadcast or broadband internet.​
<a name="Q1-3"></a>
Voom Transponders

VOOM uses the following TP 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23, and 24. Two of these were awarded to them for 180 days lease by the FCC. There will be an auction for these two TP. The FCC have not decided on the fate of these TPs and VOOM is still using them with FCC's permission. They are using Digicipher 2 8PSK.

Warning:Please visit www.voom.com for latest promotion. We are going to be updating this part of the FAQ soon.

Voom is easy to order. You may visit www.voom.com or call I-800-GET-VOOM. Sears is one retailer. I will advise anyone to call the number and forget about Sears. You may also get Voom through Brandsmart, , Value Electronics

You may buy or lease the equipment. see www.voom.com for latest prices.

According to http://www.installs.com/ you may install up to 4 coax lines. There is no charge for onsite visit or OTA line. See here. The phone number for installs inc is 888-987-3474.

Note, that monthly fees can be charged in advance.​
<a name="Q3-0"></a>
VOOM Package(s)

Two options:
  • $49.90/mth 21 Exclusive HD Channels + ALL SD channels + HD Marquee Plus Pack (Discovery-HD + Bravo-HD+ TNT-HD) + Sports Pack (NFL-HD + ESPN-HD )
  • $89.90/mth VAVA VOOM (All channels - SD + 21 HD Exclusive + ALL Plus Pack [PlayboyHD Excluded])

$19.50/mth for each additional Plus Pack:

• HBO Plus Pack (with 2 HD and 7 SD channels)
  • ShowTime Unlimited Plus Pack (with 3 HD channels: SHOW-HD and TMC-HD and 6 SD channels)
  • Starz! Plus Pack (with 3 HD channels: Starz! HD and Encore-HD and 6 SD channels)
  • Cinemax Plus Pack (with 2 HD channels and 7 SD channels)
  • Adult Pack (Playboy-HD only)

<a name="Q4-0"></a>
How to prepare for a VOOM Installation
<a name="Q4-1"></a>
Can I do a self-installation?

At this point, Voom will not let you do a self-installation. There is no credit if you already have a satellite pointing to 61.5 or if you have your own OTA antenna.​
<a name="Q4-2"></a>
Do I have to connect my STB to a telephone line?

Yes. Read this thread: VOOM STB FAQ: Telephone line connection
<a name="Q4-3"></a>
Do I have a Line of Sight (LOS)? What's my angle of Elevation?

In order to get VOOM, you need to have LOS at 61.5 SE (same location as Dish Network 61.5). You do not need to pay for an onsite visit to see if you have a LOS to 61.5. If you live in the West Coast, the angle of elevation will be low but you still will be able to see 61.5 Satellite unless there's an obstacle such as mountains, trees, etc. You can download this little program that will compute the angle of elevation for your zipcode. Angle of Elevation Utility
<a name="Q4-4"></a>
Where do I place the Satellite Dish?

Check you house and select the south facing location for the dish. If you have a townhouse, make sure check with your house association. The 18" dish satellite can be mounted on a pole or install on the roof.​
<a name="Q4-5"></a>
Can Voom install a 24 inches or 30 inches Dish instead of the 18 inches?

Initially VOOM will only approve for an 18 inches dish to be installed. If you experienced rain fade problems and you make a strong case, Voom may upgrade your dish to 24 inches for free. VOOM has also being testing some markets with the 24 or the 30 inches dish. See this thread for customer who got the upgrade 24 inch dish install
<a name="Q4-6"></a>
Will the installer run new wires or can I use the ones I have?

If you have cable wired in your home, the installer generally want to reuse it. Make sure that you have everything clear where you want to run the wires. Usually drilling a hole will not cost you anything but there will be extra charge for wallfishing. Prices are dependable on the installer and the job at hand.​
<a name="Q4-7"></a>
I have an install date, what do I do now?

After you order your system and get an install date, call Installs Inc at 888-987-3474 and have the local installer call you. Sometimes Installs Inc will give you the name of the local Installer other times they won't. They can tell the installer to give you a call.

After you get in touch with local installer, keep in touch with him/her to ensure that your equipment has been delivered on time. There has been problems with equipment not delivered on time. It is imperative to keep on top of this otherwise your installation might not occur.

Keep in mind that the installer will need to go in and out of your house to check the VOOM equipment setup and ensure the best possible performance of your exciting new system. Please clear a path to your TV set(s) and disconnect all wiring to ensure easy access and quicker setup time.

Find out his/her level of experience with VOOM installation. Make sure that he/she brings the number of receivers you ordered. The OTA antenna, the OTA module (8vsb), the remote controls, the component and DVI cable.

Educate yourself in all matters related to a VOOM instllation before he shows up - especially tricky issues such as OTA antenna, channel mapping, diplexor, DVI connections, how to change the connection resolution, etc.​
<a name="Q4-8"></a>
Should I use a diplexer or not?

The initial method of installation included a diplexer, a two part gizmo which effectively combines both the signal from the dish and the signal from the OTA antenna so that the combined signal can share a single coaxial cable as it travels from your roof to your Voom set top box (STB). At the VOOM box another diplexer component would separate out the two signals again routing one to the OTA portion (8VSB module) of the VOOM receiver and the other would go to the satellite input.

Some diplexers that VOOM used in the past have been known to degrade the overall signal to the point of significant reception problems with OTA. Recently a lot of customers have used the diplexer without problems.

You can also have the installer run each antenna's signal via its own coax all the way to the back of the VOOM box and you'll guarantee yourself the highest signal strength for both antennas. If you choose this method you may need to add an in-line power source to the OTA coax cable so as to power the onboard amplifier in the supplied antenna. You will not have to pay extra to have VOOM installed with 2 lines, the contract states up to two lines per STB.​
<a name="Q4-9"></a>
Which Antenna should I expect to get. Is there an upgraded Antenna?

Initially VOOM provided the ChannelMaster Stealth Antenna. This is a highly directional antenna which resembles a stealth bomber, hence the name. When the Stealth is used the installer must install the amplifier board (model # 3038) directly into the antenna. Recently installers have been issued Winegard Sensar II antennas. This antenna has an internal power board already present but is shipped to the installers without the in line power supply and requires a diplexer to receive power from the STB. Both have a range of approx. 45 miles UHF and 30 miles VHF when properly installed. Go to www.antennaweb.org and select DIGITAL ONLY to get all live digital OTA stations for your location, miles, direction from you and type of band (UHF or VHF). It will be good to find at what power your OTA stations are transmitting. If the OTA stations are more than 45 miles from your location, these anntennas may not work. At this point contact Voom and ask them to allow the installer to upgrade your OTA antenna.​
<a name="Q4-10"></a>
What type of Upgrade Antenna are people getting? What are the range?

Please read the following threads:

<a name="Q4-11"></a>
What is the 8vsb module? Where is it connected?

The 8VSB module is a device that will integrate your OTA digital stations to the VOOM receiver. Here's how it looks. When connected to the back of receiver it should look like this.​
<a name="Q4-12"></a>
What type of cables VOOM provides?

The free installation includes up to 125 feet of RG-6 coax cable for each line. If you need more than 125 feet RG-6 coax cable, you will need to pay extra. There is no audio optical cable included.

VOOM provides the following:
  • VOOM STB
  • VOOM dish with mounting hardware
  • ChannelMaster Stealth 3010 antenna or another antenna
  • New amplifier board for Stealth (ChannelMaster 30308)
  • Motorola 2 port diplexer module for back of STB
  • ChannelMaster 4032P - diplexer/combiner to diplex the signals
  • 8VSB module (in a padded manila envelope)
  • Component cables and DVI-D cable
  • Composite cable
  • RG-6 Coax Cable
  • Long phone cable
  • Phone splitter
  • Remote w/batteries
  • VOOM welcome package
  • 125 Feet per Coax line of RG-6 Cable
<a name="Q4-13"></a>
Are there Installation Diagrams?

Graphic of 1 receiver setup
http://www.installs.com/docs/voom-1rcvr.pdf

Graphic of 2 receiver setup
http://www.installs.com/docs/voom-2rcvr.pdf

Graphic of 3 receiver setup
http://www.installs.com/docs/voom-3rcvr.pdf

Graphic of 4 receiver setup
http://www.installs.com/docs/voom-4rcvr.pdf

<a name="Q4-14"></a>
Does VOOM provide multiswitch?

Some customers have been provided a multiswitch similar to the one DirecTv uses. Others had to pay for it. This is why it is important to communicate with installer about equipment. The multi switch is the same one that DirecTv uses. Its just a standard 2x4 or 3x4 switch. The LNB's that they use are single LNB, dual output.​
<a name="Q4-15"></a>
What if my installer is asking extra to add a coax line for OTA?

Some customers have paid the money and then got reimbursed through Installs Inc. Before you paid, you may want to verify with Installs Inc whether they will actually reimburse you the money. You may want to send an email to "Wilt Hildenbrand" <wilth@optonline.net> as well about it.​
<a name="Q4-16"></a>
How long does the installation take?

It depends on much work is involved. Is it a single installation of one receiver or more? Is there extra work involved like wallfishing? It could take between 45 minutes to 4 hours depending on your situation. The installation includes the following:

1-Mount 18-inch or elliptical satellite antenna on an exterior structure of your home, and align to appropriate satellite(s).
2-Mount any and all digital antenna materials that will facilitate improved VOOM reception.
3-Route up to four lines of up to 125 feet (per run) of coaxial cable to HD receiver(s) using customer-provided multi-switch.
4-Ground satellite antenna and cable to local/NEC standards.
5-Connect HD receiver(s) to existing hard-wired phone jack(s) using supplied wire in DBS boxes.
6-Program supplied remote(s) to your TV set(s).
7-Activate customer-selected programming.
8-Provide instruction to familiarize the customer with the basic use of the system.

Additional Services
If you request the installer to perform additional work beyond what is included in the scope of work, the technician will provide a quote for the requested work prior to beginning the installation. Some examples of work resulting in additional charges include:

1-Wall-fishing to conceal cables in your walls (pricing varies based on access to wall(s) to be fished)
2-Pole mount, non-penetrating roof mount (pricing varies based on type of mount necessary)
3-Cable burial (pricing varies based on length and type of burial)
Installations requiring a 40-foot ladder (pricing based on local rental rate)

Any additional work you request or require will be determined by your technician and approved by you before the work begins. You will pay your technician directly for any additional services. This will be part of the confirmation call.

If more than two receivers are to be installed, the multi-switch is not included in the installation and the customer will need to pay for it.​
<a name="Q4-17"></a>
Can I schedule an installation on a Saturday?

Yes, you can. This I will strongly suggest to do since Installers have been known to cancel appointments because of various reasons without 24 hr prior notification. When you are given an appointment between 8 and noon, it means anytime in between or beyond. Be patient and be ready to deal with unexpected situations.​
<a name="Q4-18"></a>
Does installer need to be certified?

Yes. A state license..would be nice (if needed in your state). SBCA 1+2 card, cross checked with picture ID is a MUST. Copy of VOOM certification here
<a name="Q4-19"></a>
How much should I tip the Installer?

This is up to you.​
<a name="Q4-20"></a>
What should I check before signing the installer's paperwork?

- Verify that the STB is connected to your TV via DVI or Component cables.

- Check several random channels from the channel list to see if they all work correctly.

- Verify that premium channels included in your plan work correctly.

- If you subscribe to Starz, check channels 261 and 262 and verify that they are showing Starz, not something else, like Bravo HD+.

- Make sure that most (if not all) of your OTA channels work fine.

- Verify the proper grounding of your dish and antenna.​
<a name="Q4-21"></a>
Other things to know and do:

-Give the installer a beer, he's probably had somebody else chewing his ear off all day - he's your friend.

-Look for threads regarding the little flap on the front of the VOOM box (lower right as you look at the front). Behind it is a magical red button that allows you to cycle through different screen resolutions. There are reports of installers not knowing about this and leaving people with it set to 480P and a picture quality which is very disappointing.

-Some installers have made the error of connecting the OTA antenna to an input confusingly labled "RF" on the back of the VOOM box. This is not for the OTA antenna to plug in but for a potential option of an radio frequency remote control device. The OTA plugs in to the back of the 8VSB module which is plugged into the VOOM box at the lower right back.

-Report back to this forum how your install went.​
<a name="Q4-22"></a>
If you consider your installation a complete fiasco what to do?

Email: (Important: Do not email Joe at Installs Inc anymore regarding any problems. Please read here for more details) and "Wilt Hildenbrand" wilth@optonline.net. Write a complete account why you are dissatisfied with the installation and what was done. Make sure to include name of local installer and the name of local company. Include your full name, telephone number and address so that they can locate your account. Your problem will be escalated and get resolved.​
<a name="Q5-0"></a>
VOOM Post Installations Guidelines
<a name="Q5-1"></a>
How do I check my software version?

<a name="Q5-2"></a>
What type satellite signal quality strength should I expect?

If you have software version V00.05.08, you should expect a satellite signal quality greater than 50+. If you have software version V00.05.68, you should expect a satellite signal quality of 90+. The higher the quality signal strength, the better.​
<a name="Q5-3"></a>
How do I check the satellite signal strength?

<a name="Q5-4"></a>
Is the software pre-installed?

Yes and no. In some cases it is and some it is not. Latest software version is V00.05.68.​
<a name="Q5-5"></a>
How Long should it take before I see all my channels?

After installer authorizes the receiver with VOOM, the receiver will start downloading the channels. There is no software download because the new receivers have the software pre-installed. The channels will start appearing one by one. After 10-20 minutes you shoul see all non-ota channels in your Program Guide (PG). The OTA channels you should also download if they are mapped to your account.​
<a name="Q5-6"></a>
How long does it take for PG information to display in the PG?

The PG will have no information display. It takes about 45 minutes for the information to download.​
<a name="Q5-7"></a>
My OTA channels are still not in my PG, what can I do?

Call Voom and ask them to send a signal hit to the box and wait 20 minutes. Software Version 6.10 and later has the OTA Scan Function available. You will be able to use to scan for your locals. Here's a quick guideline of what to do: HELP!!! I Don't get my LOCALS. What should I do? Any locals found by the Scanning Function may or may not have PG information. If PG information is not available for OTA channels, you need to Send an email to Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us with your full name, address, zipcode and describe which stations are not receiving PG information. It will take sometime for VOOM to add PG information your OTA stations. Tribune and Motorola have to do this for you.

<a name="Q5-8"></a>
My OTA channels are in my PG but I get no reception, why? What can I do?

First go to www.antennaweb.org and select ONLY DIGITAL channels and find out which channels are available in your area and how far they are from your location also check the direction of the transmitter. Check the range (in miles) against the antenna that was installed. If the you are out of range, you will probrably need a bigger antenna. Call Voom and start making a case for a bigger antenna. Before calling VOOM ensure that your antenna is pointing in the correct direction of the transmitter.

Note: OTA digital reception may be affected by multipath, location, buildings or trees blocking your location, direction of the transmitter.​
<a name="Q5-9"></a>
There was something called "factory reset" can I try this?

Please read the following thread: Factory Resets are no longer needed!
<a name="Q5-10"></a>
How do I switch the video resolution? Where is that "Red Button"?

Please read the following thread: VOOM STB FAQ: Video/Audio Hookup
<a name="Q5-11"></a>
A Future: PVR for Voom?

The current platform is a 4 tuner design, 2 satellite tuners and 2 over the air tuners."​
<a name="Q5-12"></a>
Need more information about stb?

Please make sure to read: VOOM STB FAQ (Motorola DSR-550)
<a name="Q5-13"></a>
VOOM Time Line

Here is a chronological sequence of VOOM Events: Here
<a name="Q5-14"></a>
Do You Want More Information or Specific Information?

You may lurke around the Forum. There's plenty information there. But we have tried to catalog the most importants threads here:

<a name="Q6-0"></a>
VOOM Current Channel Line Up

Here is the most current listing of all VOOM channels (as of 12/8/2004)...it's getting better every day. Also, see this post it has the channel lineup by categories, numbers, etc: VOOM Channel Lineup Card (provided by K4LK).​

High Definition (HD) Channels

Exclusive to Voom
Mainstream HD Channels
  • 201 HBO HD East
  • 202 HBO HD West
  • 221 Cinemax HD East
  • 222 Cinemax HD West
  • 241 Showtime HD East HD
  • 242 Showtime HD West HD
  • 251 TMC-HD
  • 261 Starz HD East
  • 262 Starz HD West
  • 301 ESPN HD
  • 271 Encore HD East
  • 311 NFL HD --------------> Was not reactivated in 2004
  • 501 Universal HD
  • 531 Wealth Tv HD
  • 521 TNT-HD
  • 601 Discovery HD Theater
  • 701 Playboy HD
HD Channels not yet available but coming soon. See Here for details.
  • 281 InHD
  • 282 InHD 2
  • 321 NBA-TV HD
Note: Missing from the above: HDnet and HDNET Movies

SD Channels not yet available but coming soon. See Here for details.
  • ??? OUTER MAX
  • ??? 5 STAR MAX
  • 247 Showtime Beyond
  • ??? Encore True Stories
  • 322 NBA TV
  • 326 CSTV
Channel Line Up
  • 100 HDNews
  • 101 Family Room HD --------------> Changed name from HD Cinema 1 on 12/30/04
  • 102 HD WorldCinema -----------> Changed name from HD Cinema 2 on 6/1/04
  • 103 Film Fest HD ---------------> Changed name from HD Cinema 3 on 12/30/04
  • 104 KungFu HD ---------------> Changed name from HD Cinema 4 on 12/30/04
  • 105 Guy Tv HD ---------------> Changed name from HD Cinema 5 on 12/30/04
  • 106 ha ha HD ---------------> Changed name from HD Cinema 6 on 12/30/04
  • 107 The Majestic HD---------------> Changed name from HD Cinema Classics on 12/30/04
  • 108 Vice HD -----------> Changed name from HD Cinema Epics on 12/30/04
  • 109 HD Cinema Gunslingers -----------> Changed name from HD Cinema 9 on 6/1/04
  • 110 Divine HD -----------> Changed name from HD Cinema 10 to Divine-HD on 6/1/04
  • 121 Monsters HD
  • 122 Equator HD -----------> Added June 15, 2004
  • 123 WorldSport HD
  • 124 Rush HD
  • 125 Rave HD
  • 126 Ultra HD
  • 127 Auction HD -----------> Changed name from Treasure HD 3/28/04
  • 128 Gallery HD
  • 129 Lab HD-----------> Changed name from Moov HD on 12/30/04
  • 130 Animania HD
  • 201 HBO HD East-------------------------------> Added 2/19/04
  • 202 HBO HD West------------------------------> Added 2/19/04
  • 203 HBO-------------------------------> Added 2/19/04
  • 204 HBO West-------------------------------> Added 2/19/04
  • 205 HBO2 East---------------------------> Added 2/19/04
  • 206 HBO2 West---------------------> Added 2/19/04
  • 207 HBO Signature-----------------------------> Added 2/19/04
  • 208 HBO COMEDY----------------------------> Added 2/19/04
  • 209 HBO FAMILY-------------------------------> Added 2/19/04
  • 221 Cinemax HD East---------------------------> Added 2/19/04
  • 222 Cinemax HD West--------------------------> Added 2/19/04
  • 223 CINEMAX-------------------------------> Added 2/19/04
  • 224 CINEMAX WEST----------------------------> Added 2/19/04
  • 225 MORE MAX -------------------------------> Added 2/19/04
  • 226 MORE MAX WEST--------------------------> Added 2/19/04
  • 227 ACTION MAX-----------------------------> Added 2/19/04
  • 228 THRILLER MAX----------------------------> Added 2/19/04
  • 229 ACTION MAX WEST-------- ---------------> Added 2/19/04
  • 241 Showtime HD East HD
  • 242 Showtime HD West HD
  • 243 Showtime East
  • 244 Showtime Too East
  • 245 Showtime Next East
  • 246 Showtime Extreme East
  • 248 Showtime Family East
  • 252 TMC East ----------------------------------> Added 12/8/03
  • 251 TMC-HD East----------------------------------> Added 12/8/03
  • 261 Starz HD East -----------------------------> Added 12/05/03
  • 262 Starz HD West -----------------------------> Added 12/05/03
  • 263 Starz -----------------------------> Added 12/05/03
  • 264 Starz Family -----------------------------> Added 12/05/03
  • 265 Encore -----------------------------> Added 12/05/03
  • 266 Encore Love Stories ------------------------> Added 12/05/03
  • 267 Encore Mysteries ---------------------------> Added 12/05/03
  • 268 Encore Action ------------------------------> Added 2/2/04
  • 271 Encore-HD East ------------------------------> Added 3/29/04
  • 281 Boxing --------------------------------->Added 12/08/03--------> Removed 4 days after boxing match
  • 285 AMC
  • 286 IFC
  • 287 TCM -----------------------> Added 2/19/04
  • 288 Fox Movie-----------------------> Added 3/15/05
  • 289 LMN -----------------------> Added 3/8/05
  • 301 ESPN-HD -----------------------> Added 4/30/04
  • 303 ESPN -----------------------> Added 4/30/04
  • 304 ESPN Alternate -----------------------> Added 4/30/04
  • 305 ESPNEWS -----------------------> Added 4/30/04
  • 306 ESPN CLASSIC -----------------------> Added 4/30/04
  • 307 ESPN 2 -----------------------> Added 4/30/04
  • 308 ESPN2 Alternate -----------------------> Added 4/30/04
  • 311 NFL Network HD -----------------------> Added 11/19/03, Was not reactivated in 2004
  • 312 NFL Network -----------------------> Added 11/19/03
  • 323 Fox Sports World
  • 324 Speed
  • 325 Fuel ------------------------------->Added 1/2/04
  • 327 Tennis Channel
  • 328 Outdoor Life
  • 329 GOLF -------------------------------> Added 4/21/04
  • 340 FoxSports Florida -------------------------------> Added 8/20/04
  • 341 FoxSports Florida HD -------------------------------> Added 8/20/04 (removed due to lack of content after 2004 baseball season was over)
  • 342 Sunshine RSN FL -------------------------------> Added 12/23/04
  • 402 CNN ------------------------------->Added 2/19/04
  • 403 HEADLINE NEWS ------------------------------->Added 2/19/04
  • 404 CNN INT ------------------------------->Added 3/18/05
  • 405 C-SPAN
  • 406 C-SPAN2
  • 408 The Weather Channel
  • 409 MSNBC ------------------------------>Added 3/4/04
  • 410 CNBC ------------------------------>Added 3/4/04
  • 412 FoxNews ------------------------------>Added 4/16/04
  • 455 CnnEspanol ------------------------------>Added 3/25/05
  • 457 EspnDeportesl ------------------------------>Added 3/25/05
  • 501 Universal HD ------------------------------>Added 3/4/04, Effective 12/1/04 Bravo HD+ (channel 501) is being re-branded to Universal HD.
  • 502 Bravo ------------------------------>Added 3/4/04
  • 503 Travel
  • 504 WE
  • 505 TBS ------------------------------->Added 2/19/04
  • 506 TNT ------------------------------->Added 2/19/04
  • 507 FX
  • 508 TV Land
  • 509 Comedy Central
  • 510 A&E
  • 511 Biography
  • 512 BET -----------------------------> Added 11/19/03
  • 513 E!
  • 514 Style
  • 515 SoapNet
  • 516 Oxygen
  • 517 Game Show Network
  • 519 Court TV
  • 520 Spike
  • 521 TNT-HD -----------------------------> Added 05/21/04
  • 522 USA -----------------------------> Added 08/1/04
  • 523 Sci-Fi -----------------------------> Added 09/07/04
  • 524 LIFE -----------------------> Added 3/8/05
  • 525 LRW -----------------------> Added 3/8/05
  • 526 BBC America ------------------------------->Added 3/18/05
  • 527 Fine Living -----------------------> Added 3/22/05
  • 531 WealthTv HD -----------------------> Added 3/22/05
  • 601 Discovery HD Theater
  • 602 Discovery
  • 603 TLC
  • 604 Animal Planet
  • 605 Discovery Health
  • 606 CARTOON -----------------------------> Added 11/19/03
  • 607 BOOMERANG -----------------------------> Added 11/19/03
  • 608 Disney Channel
  • 609 Toon Disney
  • 610 ABC Family
  • 611 Nickelodeon
  • 612 Hallmark
  • 613 History
  • 614 History International -----------------------> Added 3/22/05
  • 615 HGTV ------------------------------> Added 11/24/04
  • 616 Food Net ------------------------------> Added 11/26/04
  • 617 DIY -----------------------> Added 3/22/05
  • 618 NGC -----------------------> Added 3/8/05
  • 619 Military Channel -----------------------> Added 3/15/05
  • 620 Discovery Times -----------------------> Added 3/15/05
  • 621 Discovery Home -----------------------> Added 3/15/05
  • 622 Science -----------------------> Added 3/15/05
  • 623 Discovery Kids -----------------------> Added 3/15/05
  • 625 NICKTOONS ------------------------------->Added 3/18/05
  • 627 NICK GAS ------------------------------->Added 3/18/05
  • 628 NOGGIN ------------------------------->Added 3/18/05
  • 701 Playboy HD ------------------------------> Added 3/29/04
  • 711 BOXING ------------------->Added 4/15/04 for Boxing Match. Removed on 4/16/04
  • 802 Fuse
  • 803 MTV
  • 804 VH1
  • 805 MTV2 ------------------------------->Added 3/18/05
  • 806 MTV HITS ------------------------------->Added 3/18/05
  • 809 VH1 CLASSICS ------------------------------->Added 3/18/05
  • 813 CMT -----------------------> Added 3/8/05
  • 814 GREAT AMERICAN COUNTRY ------------------------------->Added 3/18/05
Music Channels
  • 852 Today's Country
  • 856 R&B and Hip Hop
  • 857 Classic R and B
  • 862 Power Rock
  • 863 Classic Rock
  • 864 Alternative Rock
  • 867 Progressive/Adult Alternative
  • 868 Soft Rock
  • 869 Hit List
  • 871 '80's
  • 873 '70's
  • 874 Solid Gold Oldies
  • 878 Smooth Jazz
  • 879 Jazz
  • 880 Blues
  • 882 Soundscapes
  • 883 Classical Masterpieces
  • 885 Light Classical
  • 999 Inside VOOM HD
Note: no WGN, TechTV!​

Re: Read Me First - Voom Summary

Sean Mota said:
At this point, Voom will not let you do a self-installation. There is no credit if you already have a satellite pointing to 61.5 or if you have your own OTA antenna.

This is one of the two issues that are preventing me from pulling the trigger
right this second.
I don't even want a credit of any kind, I just want them to get the equipment
to my door, and let me take it from there.

I agree zvogt. If I could buy just the reciever at $400-$500, do the install myself, I would certainly give them a shot. $749 is too rich for my blood, especially when I don't need the antenna or dish.

Voom Install Question

Sean,

I enjoyed reading your summary of the Voom service tonight. In the morning, they'll be coming to install the setup at my place.

You suggested that I should tell the installer not to use a diplexer to combine the OTA signal with the one from the satellite. How will I receive the OTA signal without the diplexer? Should I have him run another cable? I don't want to degrade the signal coming from the dish, but I'm not sure of an alternative. Maybe I should just leave the OTA out of the Voom equation and continue using my Samsung box. What do you think?

Thanks for your help.

Jamalulo

Re: Voom Install Question

Jamalulo said:
Sean,

I enjoyed reading your summary of the Voom service tonight. In the morning, they'll be coming to install the setup at my place.

You suggested that I should tell the installer not to use a diplexer to combine the OTA signal with the one from the satellite. How will I receive the OTA signal without the diplexer? Should I have him run another cable? I don't want to degrade the signal coming from the dish, but I'm not sure of an alternative. Maybe I should just leave the OTA out of the Voom equation and continue using my Samsung box. What do you think?

Thanks for your help.

Jamalulo

I read that the displexer lowers the OTA signal so this is why most people are choosing not to have it installed. The other two alternatives are to run a separate cable for just OTA. Now, if you already have an OTA antenna connected to another receiver, you may split this signal to both with a splitter. I read that somebody was successful with splitting the OTA signal for both receivers. As to what type of splitter is needed? I am not sure.

Re: Read Me First - Voom Summary

Sean Mota said:
Free TiVo box swap next year?

Somebody reported that they might be a TIVO box upgrade next year. The replacement will be free or will involve an additional cost. This was reported by one person but not confirmed by anybody else.

I just ran across this forum. Very nice info here. Love the channel listings. I just wanted to add that I just called tonight to order and setup installatin (Nov. 28th) but I asked if they were expecting any new STB's and / or upgrades and the CSR put me on hold and came back a few seconds later came back and told me they were expecting a PVR (didn't say the TIVO brand specifically) in 2004. She wasn't any more specific than just during 2004. I also asked her about price / upgrade and she said at this time they didn't know. So count that as one confirm about them having plans for a PVR.

Just thought I would let you know that the $499 for the second reciever is wrong. I just purchased a dual reciever setup and the second reciever was only $199.

Dan Berndt said:
Just thought I would let you know that the $499 for the second reciever is wrong. I just purchased a dual reciever setup and the second reciever was only $199.

Are you sure? I just got my receipt and I was not charged $199 for the second receiver. Everyone who got a dual receiver installation has been charged the same.

If this is not how much you were charged $749.99 (initial installation) + $499.99 (second receiver) + $107.80 (Tax) = $1,357.78, please let me know so that I can complain to VOOM. Maybe V* owes me some money. :)

I have not seen my invoice yet but the total price quoted to me over the phone was something like $1022. The VOOM display at the local Sears says specifically $199 for the second reciever. This is in Texas this last weekend, maybe the price is different in other states or maybe the price just changed.

I don't know how you can complain to VOOM. Maybe call 800 GET VOOM.

VOOM 2nd reciever price said:
I have not seen my invoice yet but the total price quoted to me over the phone was something like $1022. The VOOM display at the local Sears says specifically $199 for the second reciever. This is in Texas this last weekend, maybe the price is different in other states or maybe the price just changed.

I don't know how you can complain to VOOM. Maybe call 800 GET VOOM.

This is very interested... Price changes with State... What's going on?

Can you get a pic of this or something I like to take up with VOOM and find out why the price change?

Here is the number of the Sears store I saw the add at, (817) 595-5200. Call the store and ask for the electronic department then tell the sales person that you were told the price for the second reciever was listed on the front of the VOOM display on the lower right hand side. Ask the sales person to look at the display and tell you what the price says on the display for the second reciever.

Make sure you get the name of the sales person that looks at the display for you. Then call VOOM and let them know what you were told and ask VOOM what the deal is. That is the best I can do for you right now.

I just called VOOM. Price for the 2nd reciever has been dropped to $199

quest said:

Yeah, I also verified it at this thread: HERE

I do not know whether it was you or another guest who first mentioned it. But thanks to every guest that did. It saved me some bucks. Now, guest(s) can you please register, today is the last day that you will be able to post without registering. You will still be able to read the messages.

Guest no more

Sean Mota said:
quest said:

Yeah, I also verified it at this thread: HERE

I do not know whether it was you or another guest who first mentioned it. But thanks to every guest that did. It saved me some bucks. Now, guest(s) can you please register, today is the last day that you will be able to post without registering. You will still be able to read the messages.

It was "another quest" -- I have been reading for a while; now registed.

Re: Guest no more

Sean Mota said:
Welcome to SatelliteGuys.Us. :thumbsup:

Thanks, you run a great Forum.
One question: why members' interface are slightly different from quests? A guest can find date and time of each entry posted, also of the last post of a thread. Those information are omitted in member's interface.
I would prefer the guest interface because I know whether are new posts in a topic which I have not read.
Does it make sense or I miss some thing?
TY

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)