Read Me First: Pre/Post-Installation FAQ for VOOM

I had Voom installed yesterday, and the Voom channels seem to be fine. They installed the Stealth antenna, and I do not get all of the local channels. I do not seem to be finding local NY channel 5,9, 11 and 13, and I seem to be getting some freezing on the channels I do get. The installers told me to tell Voom I am not getting any local channels and I need an antenna upgrade. Voom scheduled someone to come by Saturday. I am not a technical person in any way, and was hoping you could tell me what if anything I should be asking the installers I received from Installs Inc. I tried to figure out what to do from the antenna web sight, but it is all very confusing to me.

Lastly, my Voom clock seems to be one hour behind. Any idea if I can adjust it or will it do it by itself?

velcroman said:
I had Voom installed yesterday, and the Voom channels seem to be fine. They installed the Stealth antenna, and I do not get all of the local channels. I do not seem to be finding local NY channel 5,9, 11 and 13, and I seem to be getting some freezing on the channels I do get. The installers told me to tell Voom I am not getting any local channels and I need an antenna upgrade. Voom scheduled someone to come by Saturday. I am not a technical person in any way, and was hoping you could tell me what if anything I should be asking the installers I received from Installs Inc. I tried to figure out what to do from the antenna web sight, but it is all very confusing to me.

Lastly, my Voom clock seems to be one hour behind. Any idea if I can adjust it or will it do it by itself?

Velcroman,

welcome. I deleted your entire quote of the first post-- too much :). Your clock is behind one hour because you have not received the latest software. Turn receiver off tonight and you will get it. For the local stuff

it will be good if you can tell us where you are located in NYC, what type of antenna you currently have, which channels show up in your guide, what are the signal quality strength for those channels. There is an NYC thread in the local forum, please post there your answers. Here is the link:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=9486

Call 1-800-Get Voom and they can reset your time. Also, use the SAT button on the remote to put the receiver in stand by and it will download software updates overnight.

Sean/Others,
I just had an idea of a possible addition to the pre-installation recommendations on the 1st post of this thread. It is to "inform the installation company that you'll ask for the SBCA card, picture ID and VOOM certification". Perhaps, such recommendation may save a lot of pain to new VOOMERS.

I got such idea after reading a recent post by "PSB" (who is a certified installer) at the Yahoo group. As a response to a post of an installation mess, he wrote:

PSB said:
You checked his SBCA 1+2 card and checked it against a picture ID, license (if needed in your state), VoOM certification.....................Right? We all want our TV and we want it RIGHT NOW! But if you inform the installation company that you will be checking all of the above BEFORE they start work, they will send out their best installer, all of the above are required to install satellite systems, so if the installer does not have them you are letting a complete stranger into your home! Folks do all the legal satellite installers and yourself a favor and help us rid the industry of Chuckies! We are drowning in Chuckies! AN installer also NEEDS ladders (not aluminum!!!) satellite meter, and a drill is a real plus! Sorry to hear this all to common story : (

Walter L. said:
Sean/Others,
I just had an idea of a possible addition to the pre-installation recommendations on the 1st post of this thread. It is to "inform the installation company that you'll ask for the SBCA card, picture ID and VOOM certification". Perhaps, such recommendation may save a lot of pain to new VOOMERS.

I got such idea after reading a recent post by "PSB" (who is a certified installer) at the Yahoo group. As a response to a post of an installation mess, he wrote:

It is already in the first page. Look under:

Does installer need to be certified?

Newbie Question

Just registered and just signed up for VOOM (install in 2 weeks). A couple of questions.

1. I am having 2 recievers installed. Install email indicates that I will need to provide a multi-switch. Many brands out there. Which ones work best with VOOM hardware?

2. If I want to have seperate cables run for the sat and OTA antenna's, how is that wired with the multi-switch or is it needed at all.

Thanks for your help. This is a great forum. Got hooked when I went to a friends house and he had just got VOOM.

Away party ready to VOOM.

Thanks,
jbcaro

jbcaro said:
Just registered and just signed up for VOOM (install in 2 weeks). A couple of questions.

1. I am having 2 recievers installed. Install email indicates that I will need to provide a multi-switch. Many brands out there. Which ones work best with VOOM hardware?

2. If I want to have seperate cables run for the sat and OTA antenna's, how is that wired with the multi-switch or is it needed at all.

Thanks for your help. This is a great forum. Got hooked when I went to a friends house and he had just got VOOM.

Thanks,
jbcaro

Welcome to the forum.

1. I believe is the same multiswitch that DirecTv uses.
2. If it's separate lines, the antenna coax will bypass the multiswitch but may need a power inserted.

Got my Voom.

Its great when it works but here are the problems I am having.

Onlt 2 OTA channels from the Denver area. Antenna web says I should be able to receive all channels with a red/blue antenna. Voom sent out a Winegard: what the installer called stealth. I was unable to locate a model number on it and was unable to find it on Winegard's web-site.

Receiving 92 signal for the satellite portion. Having problem with pixelization and that makes it hard to watch. Thought that to dish may be loose but it's not. The dish is mounted on a near flat roof and is nearly vertical. Is that right? Could be that the townhouse across the street is in the way of my signal.

Any advice????

I too am new to the Forum. Have been installed for a little over a week. Still no OTA channels, but sat looks good so far. Waiting for my HD plasma to come in this week.

My question is, should the Winegard (I think the GS2000?) antenna get stations that antennaweb.org says are only 15 miles away? I'm in the 33444 zip code. I get more OTA stations by attaching a 20 year old rabbit ear antenna! (would they be high def?)

Voom is supposed to come out and upgrade my antenna. Hope this works. Haven't been too pleased with the installers to date. Missed appointments and they all seem to be in a rush to get onto the next job.

Your Prices For Voom Are Wrong

Just To Let You Know The Right Prices For Voom Equipment:
1) Monthly Equipment Option $9.50 For First Reciever, $14.50 For Each Additional. Installation Was Correct, But Purchase Price Is $499.00 For First Reciever, $299.00 For Each Additional.thanks, Just Wanted To Clear That Up
2)ALL PLUS PACKS ARE $19.50 NOT JUST ADULT PROGRAMMING!!!

Welcome to the forum adoss, and thanks for your comments!

I have updated the first page of this thread to reflect the latest pricing and current VOOM packages.

Voom Has A Great Lease Agreement Going On For $1.00 You Can Get 3 Receiver System Installed And The Lease Is Only $5.00 Per Month On Each Receiver. There Is A 6 Month Commitment For The Voom Monthly Program Package $49.90 .

I HAVE INSTALLED MANY VOOM SYSTEMS AND NEVER HAD ANY DECLINE IN SIGNAL DUE TO MULTISWITCH OR DIPLEXERS. IF PROPERLY INSTALL WITH CORRECT CABLE AND EQUIPMENT.
jbcaro said:

Thanks,
jbcaro

Reguarding multiplexers, the FAQ says:

" If more than two receivers are to be installed, the multi-switch is not included in the installation and the customer will need to pay for it."

On my pre-install e-mail I just got it says:

Additional Services
If you request the installer to perform additional work beyond what is included in the above scope of work, the technician will provide a quote for the requested work prior to beginning the installation. Some examples of work resulting in additional charges include:

* Wall-fishing to conceal cables in your walls (pricing varies based on access to wall(s) to be fished)
* Pole mount, non-penetrating roof mount (pricing varies based on type of mount necessary)
* Cable burial (pricing varies based on length and type of burial)
* Installations on homes with more than 2 stories or those requiring a 40-foot ladder (pricing based on local rental rate)
* Multi-switches for more than 4 rooms are provided by you and installed at your expense.

Is the multi-switch included for the three room installs now? It would seem so. I'm scheduled for for a three room install on 2/21 and will find out.

Shawn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)