Read Me First: Pre/Post-Installation FAQ for VOOM

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have a Sony kp46wt500. Anytime I use the dvi connection from my receiver i get faint blue horizontal lines throught the picture. Sometime it displays a scrambled picture. The only time it doesn't (with dvi) is when I'm in 480i or 480p mode on the box. Component works great. I even tried swapping the tv and the voom receiver for new ones with the same result. Any Ideas???

Hi, I have a Sony kp46wt500. Anytime I use the dvi connection from my receiver i get faint blue horizontal lines throught the picture. Sometime it displays a scrambled picture. The only time it doesn't (with dvi) is when I'm in 480i or 480p mode on the box. Component works great. I even tried swapping the tv and the voom receiver for new ones with the same result. Any Ideas???

I assume you've tried a different DVI cable to see if that fixes the issue? How old is your Sony? I think they had an issue with a few manufactured before April 2003, check Sony's site.

Sean,
You mention contacting Installs INC if your antenna is not strong enough. Right now I am receiving only one OTA channel out of the 20 possible in the guide. The rest do not come in at all or are completely unstable and not watchable. In your experience is Installs INC receptive to such problems? How should I approach the issue and do you have a contact at installs INC for such issues? Right now I have the gray Winegard with "wings" location is Rochester, NH. Thanks in advance.

-Bob

Bob,

contact Joe Harkins by email. He works for Installs Inc. His email is on the first post of this thread.

installation preparation

I took the VOOM plunge and will have it installed on May 18th.
Will the installer have the equipment or will it be sent to me?
I have a bunch of equipment hooked up to my tv. Do I need to remove it all and just leave the tv for the installer and then hook it back up afterwards.

TIA

elocs

elocs,

Welcome. The equipment is shipped to the installer. It is better to have everything in the clear and then put everything back. I suggest you to contact the installer through Installs Inc. They won't give you the phone number but you can have the installer contact you instead. Make sure to follow the guidelines above before installation.

New Subscriber

Just wanted to say "hi". Ordered Voom last week, install scheduled for 5/14. Called Installs Inc. based on advice from board, wanted to say thanks for the heads up. :)

Welcome aboard! Good luck with your install!

Television Question

So I have been lurking around this forum for the past week, procrastinating at work. I have been searching this forum for an answer to one of the foremost questions on my mind. I have used the search function but still not come up with a firm answer so here goes. I have a HD ready 4:3 TV, (Sony KV40XBR700), and I believe most/all Voom programming, including all menus, are in 16:9. My TV does not have a stretch feature, not that I would use it if it did. Will all of the programming and menus have bars at the top and bottom? I read something about the Motorola STB that comes with Voom having a setting to accommodate 4:3 TV’s but it was very vague. Any insight would be helpful, thanks.

RC51Jim said:
Will all of the programming and menus have bars at the top and bottom? I read something about the Motorola STB that comes with Voom having a setting to accommodate 4:3 TV’s but it was very vague. Any insight would be helpful, thanks.

Menus are displayed 16x9 or to fill the screen. HD programming depends on the source of the channel. If a movie is sent at 16x9 (to fill the screen) this is what you going to see on the TV. If it is sent letterbox (black bars top and bottom), this is what you are going to see on the TV.

SD: programming is mostly 4x3 with black bars on the side. Besides this there are two types that you get: SD programming in HD channels will have bars on the side but not at top or bottom. With SD programming on regular channels there are side bars but there will be a small little black bar at the top and at the bottom. So in essence the screen is not complete at top and bottom but it is so small that it makes very little difference to TV viewing. You can also strectch the SD programming but in some cases, it will not completely fill the side bars. I hope this answers your question.

Note: my Sony GWII on DVI input will not allow me to stretch the picture or zoom the picture but it will on component.

Thanks for the response, I have a few more questions:

Sean Mota said:
Menus are displayed 16x9 or to fill the screen.

So all of the menus will have black bars top and bottom on my 4:3 TV?

Sean Mota said:
SD: programming is mostly 4x3 with black bars on the side. Besides this there are two types that you get: SD programming in HD channels will have bars on the side but not at top or bottom. With SD programming on regular channels there are side bars but there will be a small little black bar at the top and at the bottom.

For SD programming: will it fill my 4:3 TV without bars on the side? SD on Regular Station: will it fill my 4:3 TV without Side bars and also top and bottom "litle black bars"?

Sean Mota said:
Note: my Sony GWII on DVI input will not allow me to stretch the picture or zoom the picture but it will on component.

My Sony does not have DVI (only component) and it has no capability to stretch. Does the Motorola STB have a feature to adjust for a 4:3 screen?

Thanks again for your help!!

RC51Jim said:
I have a HD ready 4:3 TV
RC51Jim, I know this should work, as I saw corresponding video settings in the menu, but I haven't tried it myself. May be you should create a new thread in the General VOOM Forum. Something like "4:3 HD-ready TV set with VOOM?" Forum member who have 4:3 HD-ready TV sets would notice your question and post their comments. Good luck!

Ilya said:
Am I correct in my assumption that this 60Hz vs. 59.94Hz discrepancy might cause an effective frame skip every 16-17 seconds? I wonder if this explains the stutter problem observed by many...

I finally received a response on the frame rate issue. Voom will be changing the receiver's video output frame rate to 59.94 (from the existing 60Hz), most likely with the next "software drop". Thanks to Wilt H. for looking into this and getting back to me!

rzuch said:
I finally received a response on the frame rate issue. Voom will be changing the receiver's video output frame rate to 59.94 (from the existing 60Hz), most likely with the next "software drop". Thanks to Wilt H. for looking into this and getting back to me!

Interested...

Hope it does not affect everyone else.

Not sure if anyone can answer this question but it will determine if i get VOOM. I have a widescreen HDTV and watch alot of local TV. When watching local analog cable channels, i am able to stretch the picture but when watching a non hi-def (black bars on the sides) show, such as a news broadcast, on the local Hi-Def channel, i am not able to stretch the picture. I am able to zoom in to fill the screen but lose a large percentage of the picture when i do this. i am not able to recieve the local analog channels through the air due to my location. I have tried viewing the HD channels through my VCR hoping that that would convert the picture to analog and allow the stretch but that doesn't work...any suggestions/answers.

thanks.

Is there an FAQ on how to cancel service ? Before ordering Voom I want to know how hard/difficult it will be to get out of the "no commitment" agreement.

dozens said:
Is there an FAQ on how to cancel service ? Before ordering Voom I want to know how hard/difficult it will be to get out of the "no commitment" agreement.

To cancel: You just call make an appointment to get equipment and that's it.

I have been updating this thread with the Voom Installation FAQ... There are still more work to be done...Let me know if there's anything I have missed.

I'm scheduled for an install in a week or so and i'm a little worried about a tree line that runs behind my house to the SE. I've never had a dish before so i'm unfamiliar with the type of problems that may occur. Will installing a bigger dish help?

I also see that the other dishes in my neighborhood point to the SW sky. I thought that Voom's satellite pointed in the same direction? If it does point in the same direction, i'm good. If not, I may be SOL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts