Read Me First: Pre/Post-Installation FAQ for VOOM

Re: Guest no more

tytxy said:
Sean Mota said:
Welcome to SatelliteGuys.Us. :thumbsup:

Thanks, you run a great Forum.
One question: why members' interface are slightly different from quests? A guest can find date and time of each entry posted, also of the last post of a thread. Those information are omitted in member's interface.
I would prefer the guest interface because I know whether are new posts in a topic which I have not read.
Does it make sense or I miss some thing?
TY

Scott or an Administrator?

I had the same problem after registering, you have to set your time zone and all the other info at the bottom of the profile screen, after that its ok again

Click the box that says "Times synchronized with your computer time"

DST lag 0

Select proper time zone

and select your preferred date format
-------
Mine shows new messages ok....do you have cookies disabled?

Thanks

JaydeeD said:
I had the same problem after registering, you have to set your time zone and all the other info at the bottom of the profile screen, after that its ok again

Click the box that says "Times synchronized with your computer time"

DST lag 0

Select proper time zone

and select your preferred date format
-------
Mine shows new messages ok....do you have cookies disabled?

Thanks. Now it's working. :)

outside US territory

Sean Mota said:
Voom is easy to order. You may visit www.voom.com or call I-800-GET-VOOM. Sears is the main retailer until January 1, 2004. I will advise anyone to call the number and forget about Sears.

For people outside US territory but with a US address.
Will they ship to the US address using the 800#?
What is a "maier" code ?

"new subscribers but you need a maier code to qualify"

Voom will not let you do a self-installation. There is no credit if you already have a satellite pointing to 61.5 or if you have your own OTA antenna.

Is there anyway around this?(Of course the reciever will be used outside US territory)

Receiver Connected to a Phone Line
There has been a lot of speculations on this. Right now, the majority of receivers are not connected to a phone line but according to an enginneer at Voom it will be a requirement later on. Here is the best explanation I read so far:

having the IRD attached to the phone line allows for an audit trail for PPV.
Audit trail for your services. The satellite download service "polls" your rceiver and a 3-5 second phone call in the middle of the night verifies that you are a valid user of the service. Without the phone line, the satellite uplink service can send out a "kill" signal for your IRD (receiver) and Smartcard, and can force you to lose service.

Is there away around this also(reciever will be used outside US territory)
:confused: :D

Very good info, thanks allot.
Any other info on keeping the Rx connected to the phone line?

I counted up the SD channels and they only come to 82, six short of the 88 channels advertised. Any idea on what the other six are going to be? Also, you've got two channel 325s listed, golf and fuel.

This list came from the VOOM page website. These lines of code were hidden or commented. I have no idea what the other channels might be. Golf & Fuel: 325 was what the hidden code said that the Golf channel was going to be. Now that Fuel has taken that channel number (325). I do not know whether it will be added at all or in another number. I'll change the number to question marks.

Ti-maniac said:
Any discussions on the networks, CBSHD, etc?

Not now. But read here regarding the 84 million dollars Dolan invested in new licenses. These licenses could be used to provide HD locals. This is something that you probably could see 5 years from now.

Just signed up for Voom..

I have an installer coming out on 3/20.. so I have until then to decide to get things or not. I currently have Direct TV with HD connected to a 57" Sony RPTV. I have all channels available through Direct TV and am paying about $102 per month. Seems to me, Voom's HD content alone is worth switching for! Hell.. the ALL Monster HD channel was enough.. But.. has anyone actually compared Voom to DirecTV? What channels will I be missing? Seems like Voom had everything I would want as far as the SD channel lineup. Voom is going to charge $79.90 plus $9.50 for each receiver.. which will come out less than what I'm paying DirecTV. Am I missing anything here?? Can someone comment on switching over to Voom from DirecTV??

Thanks!
Dave

Dawson9 said:
Can someone comment on switching over to Voom from DirecTV??

Thanks!
Dave
I have DirecTV (since 1995) and I had Voom installed this last Saturday.
When the Voom receiver (Motorola) is working, the picture quality is comparable to what I am getting from DirecTV. (I also have the $102 package from DirecTV). You will lose HDNet and HDNet Movies and a PPV channel. If you are receiving local channels in HD with an OverTheAir antenna, odds are that you will lose some of those as well since the receiver will not scan to find available OTA channels.
So far I am dissapointed. I fine tuned the dish so I have max signal strength (65+) and still I get frequent horizontal pixelization on various channels. It currently is not fun watching a movie when you get interrupted with those pixel lines or the receiver locks up.
BTW, my Zenith HD-SAT520 DirecTV receiver has NEVER locked up.
My Voom receiver has already locked up 5 times in two days.

I did cancel DirecTV a number of months ago, and there may have been a great addition in HD programming since then :) so it is probably better to get a nearer term canceller. I know my SAT520 did lose custom guides on an infuriatingly regular/repeated basis, but I admit no lockups as the service had many years to fix issues and release 3rd generation boxes. Sounds like a good candidate for factory reset.

Tim

rudolpht said:
I know my SAT520 did lose custom guides on an infuriatingly regular/repeated basis, but I admit no lockups as the service had many years to fix issues and release 3rd generation boxes. Sounds like a good candidate for factory reset.

Tim
I do lose custom guides on the SAT520 about once or twice a month. Thats better than having the picture dissapear in the middle of a movie.

I wil try a factory reset tonight. Will I have to call in to Voom after a factory reset or should it start working when the reset is done?

Factory reset instructions on the first page of this thread (good stuff there), follow by a front panel reset (hold on off button for about 10 seconds) after the factory reset is complete. No need to call in.

How long does it take for a factory reset to complete. About how many minutes does it take before I see a picture. My display is connected via Component and it accepts and works with 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i.

Gr8Reb8 said:
How long does it take for a factory reset to complete. About how many minutes does it take before I see a picture. My display is connected via Component and it accepts and works with 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i.

You should get a picture immediately. If not reboot; make sure the correct resolution it's chosen. I believe it defaults to 720p after factory reset.

Thanks for your help! I initiated the factory reset and was greeted with a black screen. After 10 minutes I attempted the "hold power button in for 5-10 seconds". It appeared that the box restarted but I still had a blank screen. I ended up disconnecting the power and then it started back up. Since the screen saver settings etc. were all back to factory default, I assume it did perform a full factory reset. Hopefully it will not crash again tonight. My satellite signal strength is 67 and signal quality is about 61. I still see streaming pixels on various channels. Ugh!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)