Read Me First: Pre/Post-Installation FAQ for VOOM

Voom Cust Serv

I would suggest giving Voom a call (800-GET-VOOM). I've found them to be very knowledgable. You just may find someone who can answer your question concerning setting the refresh rate.

I have a question regarding doing the factory reset. I've tried doing it since I get no program guide info on my local OTA stations. I get into the System Settings but when I try to hit 9-8-8 it only senses the 8 and goes into the selection for 8. I cannot figure out how to do it.

I actually spoke with Voom CS regarding my lack of program guide data. They told me it was an FCC issue. Apparently, they (the FCC) has set up marketing areas for this sort of thing. If you're not considered a part of a given marketing area, even if you can receive signals from that area, they (the HD provider--in this case Voom) is not allowed to map your receiver with these channels (although you can certainly receive these channels). Anyway, I live like 10 miles from NYC and I figure I'm in that marketing area so I wasn't sure of this. I asked them about this and they told me they have many people in similar situations where the FCC has them in a marketing area where the stations are like 60 miles away even though they live close enough to another area to get better reception from there.

Anyway, bottom line is I have no program guide info for my local stations and it's annoying. I went to the website posted here and, according to that, I should be able to get a program guide. I figured I'd try resetting but I can't seem to do it.

Any ideas?

GadgetRick said:
I would suggest giving Voom a call (800-GET-VOOM). I've found them to be very knowledgable. You just may find someone who can answer your question concerning setting the refresh rate.

I have a question regarding doing the factory reset. I've tried doing it since I get no program guide info on my local OTA stations. I get into the System Settings but when I try to hit 9-8-8 it only senses the 8 and goes into the selection for 8. I cannot figure out how to do it.

I actually spoke with Voom CS regarding my lack of program guide data. They told me it was an FCC issue. Apparently, they (the FCC) has set up marketing areas for this sort of thing. If you're not considered a part of a given marketing area, even if you can receive signals from that area, they (the HD provider--in this case Voom) is not allowed to map your receiver with these channels (although you can certainly receive these channels). Anyway, I live like 10 miles from NYC and I figure I'm in that marketing area so I wasn't sure of this. I asked them about this and they told me they have many people in similar situations where the FCC has them in a marketing area where the stations are like 60 miles away even though they live close enough to another area to get better reception from there.

Anyway, bottom line is I have no program guide info for my local stations and it's annoying. I went to the website posted here and, according to that, I should be able to get a program guide. I figured I'd try resetting but I can't seem to do it.

Any ideas?

GadgetRick,

welcome. I seriously doubt that the CSR knows what he is talking about. Over the air transmittion is free and as long as you can receive it over the air with or without VOOM the FCC has nothing to do with it. VOOM's predicament in OTA mapping is that they did it wrong from the beginning. Now you don't have your local mapped because either Tribune has not added the mapping to your zipcode or the motorola box has not being updated with the ota local map. These two have nothing to do with FCC regulations. Sorry to say it but this is another case of CSR nonsense when they do not know what other thing to say. I have never heard this type of explanation. I'd bet you that if you pick up an over the air digital receiver, you will be able to pick up all your local channels.

"I get into the System Settings but when I try to hit 9-8-8 it only senses the 8 and goes into the selection for 8. I cannot figure out how to do it."

Press 8 first, THEN press 988

Thanks...

I was wondering about what the CSR told me over the phone although I wouldn't put anything past the FCC... ;)

I'll try hitting 988 when I'm in the Systems Settings. Hopefully, this will work!

Thanks.

The Rickster

Originally Posted by GadgetRick:

Several calls to Voom on this issue resulted in no answer and no call back. I was told that the question would be "passed up the chain" and if management decided to answer the question they would call back (otherwise they will not call back). Needless to say this is quite frustrating!

Lucky for me Sean referred Wilt H. who is looking into the refresh rate issue.

Eesh...

I HATE it when they tell you they'll call back if they have an answer, otherwise you won't hear back. What kind of support is that?? How about, I'll call you back no matter what? Isn't that a little better?

btw, I did the reset last night. I guess you gotta also know, when you reset the receiver, it changes the video output. I had sound but no video until I figured that out. Anyway, still no guide info for those channels. :(

Any other suggestions?

The Rickster

GadgetRick said:
I HATE it when they tell you they'll call back if they have an answer, otherwise you won't hear back. What kind of support is that?? How about, I'll call you back no matter what? Isn't that a little better?

btw, I did the reset last night. I guess you gotta also know, when you reset the receiver, it changes the video output. I had sound but no video until I figured that out. Anyway, still no guide info for those channels. :(

Any other suggestions?

The Rickster

Rick,

You don't have PG information for OTA or Satellite channels? There are a few things you can do. Unplug/plug the receiver and wait about 20 minutes. If that does not work, call VOOM and ask them to hit the box. Wait 20 minutes and if still you do not get it reboot. One of these should get you the PG information. Let us know what happens.

Tried

I've actually, pretty much, tried all of that. :( I called Voom last night and they redownloaded to my box. I had unplugged it while I was trying to figure out why I had no picture.

Something screwy is happening but I can't figure out what the deal is.

The Rickster

GadgetRick said:
I've actually, pretty much, tried all of that. :( I called Voom last night and they redownloaded to my box. I had unplugged it while I was trying to figure out why I had no picture.

Something screwy is happening but I can't figure out what the deal is.

The Rickster

Rick, it must be the stb then. If all cables are tight and your satellite is connected correctly, I'll suggest you to get a replacement for that stb.

:(

I sorta figured something like that. I'm going to make another go at it with Voom CS just in case. We'll see what happens.

The Rickster

PG Info is here!

Well, I sat down to watch some HD last night and, low and behold, my PG info was there! I don't know how or why but I'm glad it's there. I'd feel a little better if I knew why though...

The Rickster

Thank you to Sean Mota

You are the reason why I finally order Voom. Thank you for all of the great information.

Refresh Rates

rzuch said:
The Analog to Digital converter is preset for the refresh rate, which for all of our other sources is 59.94. Voom's choice of a 60Hz refresh rate is a bit puzzling as this invites interference from the 60Hz power line.

I'm not an engineer, so I don't have every detail. But I will try to explain.

First, have you tried hooking the Voom box up yet? There is a good chance it will work.

What is commonly referred to as 60Hz refresh rate for TV is actually the 59.94 that you mention here. The difference betweent he two is due to timing. Its the same problem the nuclear clocks have. The electronic clocks don't vary, while the earth's rotation does slightly. This is why those nuclear clocks are fudged a little from time to time, so they match "real" time.

TV is the same. If there were exactly 60 pictures in every second, the TV timecode would stray from "real" time. In order to make up for it, frames numbers are occasionally skipped so a TV timecode matches "real" time. After a while, these dropped frames result in an average of 59.94 pictures per second, instead of 60. So while a refresh rate of 59.94 is technically correct, it is decieving. Both should work the same.

I can give you a more definite answer of why pictures refresh at 60 pictures/second when it is the same Hz at our standard electrical current.

This goes back to the very early days of TV. Standard "American" NTSC television produces 30 frames (or pictures) on screen every second. The early picture guns weren't quick enough to get from top to bottom 30 times a second, so each frame was split into two fields. The TV would scan the odd lines in one field, then the even lines in the second field to make one full frame. So a TV was now producing 60 fields per second. Standard American AC transmits at 60Hz, so it was used as a convinient time corrector of sorts. Over in Europe, the television standard is PAL, which uses 25 fps instead of our 30fps. Why? Because electricity there is mostly on 50Hz instead of our 60Hz.

This is probably more of an explanation than you ever needed, but I hope it helps.

just wondering i live in canada, its tricky to buy voom system in states but i have seen some who are selling their system used on the internet, will i have a problem buying it used? renting is also out of the question for me is it possible to buy a used system and not have to hook it up to the phone line? whats going to happen in the fall with the microsoft windows media hd format voom is planning to use are they going to scrap all their receivers?

weagle said:
just wondering i live in canada, its tricky to buy voom system in states but i have seen some who are selling their system used on the internet, will i have a problem buying it used? renting is also out of the question for me is it possible to buy a used system and not have to hook it up to the phone line? whats going to happen in the fall with the microsoft windows media hd format voom is planning to use are they going to scrap all their receivers?

Right now, you may by pass the phone line but there will be a point where it is going to be needed. All receivers are compatible with WM9. The only thing that is needed is the module that goes on the side of the receiver.

Look at these threads for more information:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=3632
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=12274

HDTV Montana said:
I'm not an engineer, so I don't have every detail. But I will try to explain.

First, have you tried hooking the Voom box up yet? There is a good chance it will work.

What is commonly referred to as 60Hz refresh rate for TV is actually the 59.94 that you mention here. The difference betweent he two is due to timing. Its the same problem the nuclear clocks have. The electronic clocks don't vary, while the earth's rotation does slightly. This is why those nuclear clocks are fudged a little from time to time, so they match "real" time.

TV is the same. If there were exactly 60 pictures in every second, the TV timecode would stray from "real" time. In order to make up for it, frames numbers are occasionally skipped so a TV timecode matches "real" time. After a while, these dropped frames result in an average of 59.94 pictures per second, instead of 60. So while a refresh rate of 59.94 is technically correct, it is decieving. Both should work the same.

I can give you a more definite answer of why pictures refresh at 60 pictures/second when it is the same Hz at our standard electrical current.

This goes back to the very early days of TV. Standard "American" NTSC television produces 30 frames (or pictures) on screen every second. The early picture guns weren't quick enough to get from top to bottom 30 times a second, so each frame was split into two fields. The TV would scan the odd lines in one field, then the even lines in the second field to make one full frame. So a TV was now producing 60 fields per second. Standard American AC transmits at 60Hz, so it was used as a convinient time corrector of sorts. Over in Europe, the television standard is PAL, which uses 25 fps instead of our 30fps. Why? Because electricity there is mostly on 50Hz instead of our 60Hz.

This is probably more of an explanation than you ever needed, but I hope it helps.

Actually, the 59.94 Hz vertical scanning rate was lowered from 60 as a result of adding color to NTSC broadcasts way back in the 50s.

The original horizontal scan rate was 15,750 Hz. Divide that number by 262.5 to obtain 60 Hz. The value 262.5 is the number of scan lines in one field. Two interlaced fields make up the 525 lines in one NTSC frame.

When color was added, the 3.579545 MHz subcarrier interferred with the horizontal scan frequency creating moires and herringbone patterns in the color. 15,750 divided by 3.579545 is 4400 exactly. So, the engineers lowered the horizontal scanning frequency to 15,734.5 to eliminate the interference. Take 15734.5 and divide it by 262.5 to obtain 59.94 Hz.

Dana

Thanks K4LK and Dana for your responses.

Yes, and it does not work with a D/A converter set for the usual 59.94 refresh rate. It does work if the converter is set for 60Hz but this is a problem as all the other sources use 59.94.

Dana, would you agree that Voom's 60Hz refresh rate increases the chance of moire and herringbone interference? A multisync display device will set the horizontal scan rate to 15750Hz... and we're not watching only black and white pictures anymore!

Interesting that Voom has not yet responded on this issue. Motorola seems fully aware of the issue but cannot comment since Voom is their customer.

Am I correct in my assumption that this 60Hz vs. 59.94Hz discrepancy might cause an effective frame skip every 16-17 seconds? I wonder if this explains the stutter problem observed by many...

I was unable to open the zip file for Voom elevation. My zip code is 37919. My azimuth
angle is 148 degrees. The elevation for the Dish sat. would be 42 degrees. Does anyone know the appx elevation for my location(Knoxville,Tn) for the Voom sat?

Thanks,
Citico

citico said:
I was unable to open the zip file for Voom elevation. My zip code is 37919. My azimuth
angle is 148 degrees. The elevation for the Dish sat. would be 42 degrees. Does anyone know the appx elevation for my location(Knoxville,Tn) for the Voom sat?

Thanks,
Citico

It will be the same as the dish 61.5 degree...