Ready to Recommit...What Equipment Should I Ask For?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

randymetzger

Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I am out of contract and would like to get the best FREE equipment-upgrade-bang-for-the-buck possible if I recommit 2 more years.

Can anyone who is knowledgable about the latest gear please give me a brief summary of what equipment I should be shooting for?

I currently have:

1 - HR24-500
2 - HR21-700
1 - R16-700
Slimline-3 Dish
  • I want to get my equipment modernized as it is VERY slowwww!
  • I would really like to be able to record in one room and watch in any other room.
  • Is a single Genie DVR and several minis or some other combo the answer?
  • Is any of my current equipment is compatible or if I need it all replaced?
  • Does my Dish and LNB need to be upgraded or not? Would that be free if its necessary?
I have been with DirectTV for over 20 years and hopefully should get some consideration for that. Can anyone tell me what I should shoot for and what I should reasonably expect to get as a FREE upgrade.

Thanks!

What you will probably be offered is a Genie plus three Genie clients free of charge. I would suggest you keep your HR24 and possibly your HR21s as well, get rid of the R16. That would mean just taking a Genie. You could replace one or both of the HR21s with Genie clients, depends how slow thay are, how much you use them and whether losing the tuners would be an issue. Genie plus HR24 plus two HR21s equals 11 tuners. Genie plus HR24 plus two Genie clients equals seven tuners, because each Genie client steals a tuner from the Genie. To replace one of the HR21s with an HR24 would not normally be free of charge.
You need to make sure you get an HR44 or HR54 Genie not the HR34. You can't guarantee that when you order, but there are many posts here about how to improve your chances. You almost certainly won't get an HR54, but unless you have immediate plans for 4K it won't matter.
The Genie needs SWM to operate, unless you have an SWM system already you will need some LNB or multiswitch changes. There are a number of ways of setting up LNBs and multiswitches to handle your configuration; assuming you end up with 11 tuners and currently have a legacy system with four cables to the house and an 8-way multiswitch the tech will probably just replace the multiswitch with an SWM16 multiswitch. There are SWM LNBs that support 13 tuners (21 coming soon) and do not need a multiswitch at all but your tech will almost certainly not have these, they are normally for commercial installs. You could get one off ebay and ask the tech to install it, if he is willing to ignore his work order.
Anyway, post back with the questions this will probably raise....

I am out of contract and would like to get the best FREE equipment-upgrade-bang-for-the-buck possible if I recommit 2 more years.
. . . .
I currently have:

1 - HR24-500
2 - HR21-700
1 - R16-700
Slimline-3 Dish
. . . .

Thanks!

Swap out the R16-700 for a Genie.

But not the HR34-700 Genie. That one is one fugly genie.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
What you will probably be offered is a Genie plus three Genie clients free of charge. I would suggest you keep your HR24 and possibly your HR21s as well, get rid of the R16. That would mean just taking a Genie. You could replace one or both of the HR21s with Genie clients, depends how slow thay are, how much you use them and whether losing the tuners would be an issue. Genie plus HR24 plus two HR21s equals 11 tuners. Genie plus HR24 plus two Genie clients equals seven tuners, because each Genie client steals a tuner from the Genie. To replace one of the HR21s with an HR24 would not normally be free of charge.
You need to make sure you get an HR44 or HR54 Genie not the HR34. You can't guarantee that when you order, but there are many posts here about how to improve your chances. You almost certainly won't get an HR54, but unless you have immediate plans for 4K it won't matter.
The Genie needs SWM to operate, unless you have an SWM system already you will need some LNB or multiswitch changes. There are a number of ways of setting up LNBs and multiswitches to handle your configuration; assuming you end up with 11 tuners and currently have a legacy system with four cables to the house and an 8-way multiswitch the tech will probably just replace the multiswitch with an SWM16 multiswitch. There are SWM LNBs that support 13 tuners (21 coming soon) and do not need a multiswitch at all but your tech will almost certainly not have these, they are normally for commercial installs. You could get one off ebay and ask the tech to install it, if he is willing to ignore his work order.
Anyway, post back with the questions this will probably raise....
even if the OP has immediate need for 4K, getting an HR54 vs an HR44 it wont matter. As whatever is on 4K right now (PPVs) can be had with an HR44....

even if the OP has immediate need for 4K, getting an HR54 vs an HR44 it wont matter. As whatever is on 4K right now (PPVs) can be had with an HR44....
Too true. But to get linear 4k, when it appears, he will need a Hr54

I currently have:

1 - HR24-500
2 - HR21-700
1 - R16-700
Slimline-3 Dish
  • I want to get my equipment modernized as it is VERY slowwww!
  • I would really like to be able to record in one room and watch in any other room.
  • Is a single Genie DVR and several minis or some other combo the answer?
  • Is any of my current equipment is compatible or if I need it all replaced?
  • Does my Dish and LNB need to be upgraded or not? Would that be free if its necessary?
I have been with DirectTV for over 20 years and hopefully should get some consideration for that. Can anyone tell me what I should shoot for and what I should reasonably expect to get as a FREE upgrade.

Thanks!

my suggestion would be to upgrade the R16 to a genie, one of the HR21's to a mini, and when the tech comes, ask him if its possible to get the other HR21 swapped out for a HR24 because X reason (fill in the blank, or just be straight with them).

if you keep 2 DVR's + genie, then the tech will have to install a SWM16 switch. if you only keep one DVR + genie and mini's, they will have to swap out the LNB @ the dish. the general consensus is that if you can, always hold on to *at least* one non-genie receiver because if the main genie is disabled for some reason, the mini genies are also down. with a non-genie receiver at least you can still have TV some where. either way you will have a bit of shuffling around of equipment. there will not be a charge for the new equipment.

by the by, your three HR receivers are actually capable of pulling recordings from the other two, but it sounds like they are currently on the legacy system and would have to be switched over to the SWM system to do that (plus a pair of receiver decas for the pedantic). since doing that yourself can be a hassle, and D* would set up an upgrade to convert the system over, might as well get the genie for free as well.

regarding the SWM13 LNB, i would not expect that to be installed, just a nice bonus if it is.

Reactions: Jimbo
Followup-

Called DTV yesterday and they will providing the following to me as a "free" upgrade:
  • Replace the two HR21-700 and R16-700 with a Genie and two Genie Minis. I will keep the HR24.
  • $20 off my service for 2 years
  • New two yr agreement and half off the install fee (so I pay $25 install fee)
I have installation on 12/1 between 8-12 am, so I have the early install window.

Now the big question, how do I make sure I get the HR44 (or HR54). I hear everyone say that when the installer calls, just ask if he has the HR44 on his truck and if not reschedule. What would I tell the installer as the reason for rescheduling if he has only HR34s on his truck?

Followup-

Called DTV yesterday and they will providing the following to me as a "free" upgrade:
  • Replace the two HR21-700 and R16-700 with a Genie and two Genie Minis. I will keep the HR24.
  • $20 off my service for 2 years
  • New two yr agreement and half off the install fee (so I pay $25 install fee)
I have installation on 12/1 between 8-12 am, so I have the early install window.

Now the big question, how do I make sure I get the HR44 (or HR54). I hear everyone say that when the installer calls, just ask if he has the HR44 on his truck and if not reschedule. What would I tell the installer as the reason for rescheduling if he has only HR34s on his truck?
You tell him to get a 44 or you have to cancel the order. (if he doesn't have one on the truck already)

You tell him to get a 44 or you have to cancel the order. (if he doesn't have one on the truck already)

its easier to reschedule your appointment when you get the automated phone call (provided its after the tech calls). duno if it connects you to a live person or not because i've never had to do it, but just say something came up and you wont be home. that why the poor soul doesnt show up and leave without getting paid at least.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)