HR 24 dead.....options??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nvguy38

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My setup is a 2 TV household - 1 HR24-500 (bedroom) and 1 HR44-500 (main viewing)

So, I've finally accepted the fact my HR24-500 is finally dead. After several days of not turning on after powering off (unless you do a RBR where it is usable but EXTREMELY slow), I finally broke down and called D*. I say finally, because I was holding out hope the 5 year old DVR would still have some life and we could hold onto our recordings a bit longer.....but alas.....it was not to be.

After being on the phone for an eternity while the tech did their job reading the script of things to prove it was actually dead (power...check...etc.etc.etc...), she (I already knew it was dead) finally came to the conclusion the receiver was a done...gone...kaput. In fact, JUST to make sure, she had me power cycle the damn thing while on the phone...I timed it....it was still going through 'receiver self check' mode 18 minutes after she had me plug directly into the wall (it was in a power strip, had to rule that out after all!). Apparently, 15 minutes is the deal breaker where they give up and say it's dead. Who would've known??!!

Anyhoo, I'm left with a bit of a conundrum.....seems I only have a few options in replacing this HD-DVR.

1. Replace the dead DVR with a similar HD DVR that will most certainly be a HR24-500 refurb since they don't make many of them any more (not my first choice, but I do like the fact of additional storage on a separate unit). I was also told this is the only model HD-DVR they have now they are moving to using the Genie model with minis.
2. Replace the dead DVR with a C61K mini and request a HR54 as a replacement for my HR44 - not a good choice either as I'd lose those recordings in addition to the ones I already lost with the dead DVR (double whammy!!).
3. Just replace the dead DVR with a C61K mini and upgrade the HR44 at a later date

I was hoping to get a newer model HD DVR where I could add a 2nd device with additional recording storage. That would be a no brainer for me, but seems I'm stuck with an old model if I want to have that option.

So, the inevitable question - Are any of those 3 options better than the other? Perhaps there's a 4th option the tech or I haven't considered?

Any suggestions would be helpful! Been a long time follower of you guys and respect y'all's opinions!

Thanks!
NVGuy38

You say your HR24 is dead ... why would you be doing anything with the HR44 ?
I would replace the HR24 with another 24 ... this would be a quick swap and your up and running ... very doubtful they would get you into a 54. That would be like starting over.

If you go with another 24 and want more storage you can always add an addl. HD to the 24 (this will use the new one entirely, not add to the old).

You've had this 24 for 5 years and have recording you must have on it ?

Never ever leave NEEDED recording on a HD, IF you definitely need something, record it and move it to a DVD or something like that, that goes for ANY provider, HDs are always potential for issues.

Anyways, swap out the HR24 and be done with it.

I was told that I can actually request the 54 if I wanted one....just have to basically start from scratch as I'd lose the 44 recordings also, so that's falling way down the list of options ATM. Reckon I'll probably just end up going with another 24, just don't relish the thought of getting a refurb.....I know they 'certify' them...but still, new is always better in my book.....no used parts. I know you still have a chance for some kind of failure, but used parts tend to bring them on more often.

I might pull some of the 44 recordings off to DVD if I get a hankering to do so.....thanks for the reminder :)

Thanks also for the suggestion!

I was told that I can actually request the 54 if I wanted one....just have to basically start from scratch as I'd lose the 44 recordings also, so that's falling way down the list of options ATM. Reckon I'll probably just end up going with another 24, just don't relish the thought of getting a refurb.....I know they 'certify' them...but still, new is always better in my book.....no used parts. I know you still have a chance for some kind of failure, but used parts tend to bring them on more often.

I might pull some of the 44 recordings off to DVD if I get a hankering to do so.....thanks for the reminder :)

Thanks also for the suggestion!
3 out of 4 HR24's in my home are refurbed. They work great and I haven't had an issue with them at all. I really don't think the refurbed are all that bad. I see the same with them daily, if they make it to the activations screen you're good. If they don't then you better get another. Drop shipped receivers are known for having this issue, I'd say swap the 24 with another and go have a few drinks while you wait on the guide to fall in so you can set the records back up

Refurbs are used by all providers all the time, and not just receivers, it can be modems or routers for internet too. Over all these years I would say generally refurbs do not fail any quicker than a new unit. So if the receiver you want would be a refurb I don't see that as a problem.

So, they're overnighting me a refurb'd 24 and waived the fee. They don't want the receiver back, but they do want the access card. So, is it possible to pull the HDD out of the old one and try to see if I can copy any recordings from it? I thought I read somewhere that each HDD is somehow coded/encrypted to the specific DVR. Was thinking I might could see about pulling some of them off the old unit.

Thanks!

So, they're overnighting me a refurb'd 24 and waived the fee. They don't want the receiver back, but they do want the access card. So, is it possible to pull the HDD out of the old one and try to see if I can copy any recordings from it? I thought I read somewhere that each HDD is somehow coded/encrypted to the specific DVR. Was thinking I might could see about pulling some of them off the old unit.

Thanks!

i was under the impression the HDD was encrypted using the access card. ergo: you cannot copy from one HDD to the next (D* wont transfer access cards from one receiver to the next)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)