Ready to upgrade to HD

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
After many years with the 625 DuoDVR, I'm ready to upgrade to HD. After reading many threads here I have determined that I will probably have to switch from WArc to EArc which will require relocation of my dish on the roof due to line of sight issues with the Eastern satellites. Also, I'm not sure which of the 722, 722k or 922 receivers would be best for me and their associated upgrade costs. Is there a table listing the feature differences between the receivers? I plan on just replacing the 625 with a similar HD DuoDVR, plus I have the In Home Service Plan. I'm in the Jacksonville FL DMA.

After many years with the 625 DuoDVR, I'm ready to upgrade to HD. After reading many threads here I have determined that I will probably have to switch from WArc to EArc which will require relocation of my dish on the roof due to line of sight issues with the Eastern satellites. Also, I'm not sure which of the 722, 722k or 922 receivers would be best for me and their associated upgrade costs. Is there a table listing the feature differences between the receivers? I plan on just replacing the 625 with a similar HD DuoDVR, plus I have the In Home Service Plan. I'm in the Jacksonville FL DMA.
This should help you with the differences between the receivers. HD Receivers. As far as costs go for upgrading if you want to PM me your account information, I can take a look and let you know.

722k is dish's best DVR.
Sent through my Wii using the internet channel.
I keep reading that here, but the 922 has a larger hard drive and similar features to the 722k? what makes it better? lower upgrade cost?

Taking this outside of PMs for the benefit of others:

So what is required to hook up and use the sling adaptor? My receiver is nowhere near a wired internet connection. and seeing the sling adaptor rebate tracking thread suggests it takes a while to get the rebate?

You cannot specify that you get the ViP722K or the ViP722 or the ViP622. They're all considered by Dish to be about the same. I personally would check the boxes when the truck arrived and refuse to allow them to install a ViP622.

Taking this outside of PMs for the benefit of others:

So what is required to hook up and use the sling adaptor? My receiver is nowhere near a wired internet connection. and seeing the sling adaptor rebate tracking thread suggests it takes a while to get the rebate?
You could use a Powerline Broadband Connector (also known as HomePlug-to-Ethernet adapter or SlingLink) which allows communication over the home power lines. You can also use a Netgear 802.11N model WNDA WIFI adapter which can be purched at dishnetwork.com and the tech should have one on his truck as well as the Powerline Broadband Connector. It can take 6-8 weeks to receive the rebate.

You cannot specify that you get the ViP722K or the ViP722 or the ViP622. They're all considered by Dish to be about the same. I personally would check the boxes when the truck arrived and refuse to allow them to install a ViP622.
If you upgrade and also purchase a Sling Adapter you will get a 722/722k.

Get the 922 and a Slingbox Pro HD...the Sling add on (the one with the rebate) ONLY lets you watch via a web browser...and thus back through Dish servers. Where are the Full feature Slingbox Pro HD lets you watch in standalone software and you need to connect back to Dish servers when you are on your home network. Plus the 922 has a better UI....IMO

This shouldn't be a consideration (thinking about wife and daughter here), but for someone used to the 625 UI, is the UI in the 722k or 922 much different, any learning curve from the 625?

Also, if I order the sling adaptor in order to guarantee a 722k receiver, once the installer arrives will I be able to cancel the sling adaptor order and get my money back once the tech sees that I have no wired broadband connection anywhere near the receiver, yet still get to keep the 722k? :)

I went from a 625 to a 722 and the UI is very similar. I think the 922 is much snazzier, with channel logo icons rather than boring text. ;) But I haven't seen a 922 so I don't know for sure.

Note Zach's reply to your wireless needs on the previous page.

Also, if I order the sling adaptor in order to guarantee a 722k receiver, once the installer arrives will I be able to cancel the sling adaptor order and get my money back once the tech sees that I have no wired broadband connection anywhere near the receiver, yet still get to keep the 722k? :)
Ordering a sling adapter means it's yours, period. And, it does not guarantee a 722K. It just guarantees you won't get a 622. Keep in mind it you want to receive OTA with the K, you will need to purchase the dual OTA plug-in module.

The 722k is better than the 922 for two reasons:
1. Lower upgrade costs. You save $200 and you don't have to deal with a $10 DVR service fee. The 722k still has the $6 fee like the 625.
2. The 922 seems to still have some bug issues as far as I know. (You'll have to ask the 922 users on here)

The 722k is better than the 922 for two reasons:
1. Lower upgrade costs. You save $200 and you don't have to deal with a $10 DVR service fee. The 722k still has the $6 fee like the 625.
2. The 922 seems to still have some bug issues as far as I know. (You'll have to ask the 922 users on here)

1. It's only money and the UI is worth it among the other features like 3D content
2. They all have bugs...

1. It's only money and the UI is worth it among the other features like 3D content
2. They all have bugs...
Um, not everyone has a 3DTV (the OP didn't even say he had one). Also, yes, all receivers do have bugs, but it seems the 722k is better off on that front than the 922. Also, $200 is still a lot of money when comes to TV (especially in this economy)

So much to think about. Here is my summarized thoughts based on the responses so far (thanks to all who have contributed):

922 advantages: double HD space, snazzier UI (don't care, substance over style...but what about UI response? is it slower, quicker?), 3D (again, don't care at this point), will be certain to get the model I want without jumping through hoops

722 advantages: $200 less upfront + $4 less billed per month, perceived stability (less bugs), UI more in line with our current familiarity

Sling capabilities are not a concern, but the OTA module is. Thus, I would want to make sure I get the 722k if I go that route. Ordering the $99 sling adaptor still doesn't guarantee I get a 722k? (so I can use the optional OTA module) If true, the 922 may be the way to go. Zach did not mention the extra amount for the DVR service fee on the 922. Can you confirm, Zach?

EDIT: Can I order an OTA module from Dish when I put in the upgrade order, thus forcing them to give me a 722k?

Last edited:
Well know facts:
922= $10.00 DVR fee
722 and all other DVRs, $6.00

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts