Real and Virtual Channel Numbers

With bad or non existent PSIP data you cannot tune the virtual location (in this case 4) but the presence of PSIP data does not stiop you from tuning the actual location.

In other words you are right about the data being in the stream but i don't think you are right about that preventing you from tuning the actual location.

Entering the numbers for real location causes my equipment to automatically change to the virtual numbers. I think atsc tuners have a built in thingy to auto slide over to there. This gives me hope as prior to fiddling around with manual entry, I thought that once I blind scanned it wiped all channels out completely. It's tougher since you have to add the -1 or whatever subchannel you are after since some tvs don't give you a lot of time to add that to the end of your channel number manual entry, but it does work... and I've found ways to add the things that do come up to my channel list. I thought that was not possible before I started reading this thread, the fcc's website list of channels, and a few similar thread.

Strange world, out of my five digital channels only one can be selected by real channel number. I tried all of the channels and they selected nothing, took me back to the last channel I was viewing. It doesn't really matter, but the inconsistency bugs me.

I did another digital add channel scan. Ch 13 still shows up as Ch 13 and Ch 56, all others show up as virtual channels only and cannot be selected by actual channel number. Set is a Sanyo.

It is probably a problem with the station's PSIP computer not generating the virtual channel properly, not your receiver's problem.

They may or may not want it but it is not avaialble. The portion of the UHF spectrum above 51 will be sold. VHF 2-6 will not.

(Efit I see that elder has changed his position and now agrees with my original statement that at one time some of VHF was going away but no longer is)

BTW I really don't see the cause for confusion here. you scan and then tou tune as you always did. BTW if chahnel 7 is broadcadting digitally at 34 you can tune to it by tuning to 7 or 34. So even if you can't recall which channel scheme to follow you can still find it.

Actually, not all digital HDTV tuners work that way. I have a Wallyworld Sanyo 32" widescreen HDTV with built in tuner (for the wife-got it for $100.00 on clearance) and it only tunes to the digital number. If you want channel 10 (WCAU) you have to enter #67. Entering #10 will not get you there. The same thing applies when trying to add a channel. You can't add #10, you must add #67.

Something weird just started happening using my Zenith DTT900. I moved the box for testing and had it do a new scan.

We have two essentially identical NBC feeds available to us here. One from KXAN (36-1, RF 21) and a closer one from KXAM (14-1, RF 27). The latter is basically just a second transmitter for the former's programming. In the past, when the DTT900 tuned, it would find RF 27 and map it to channel 14-1. But lately, it has mapped RF 27 to 36-1 AND RF 21 to 36-1 as well! The net effect is that I show two channel 36-1s in the guide -- and no 14-1 any more.

Is that likely because of something they did at the station, that maybe since the programming is the same, they just wanted everything to map to 36-1 in the PSIP?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)