Really necessary (in our case) for 2 Hoppers or just 1?

DallasBill

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Plano, Texas, United States
Friends,over this week,the wife(CFO) and I have been discussing the upgrade to a Hopper with 2 joeys from our main 722K(split between the main room and one bedroom) and the 612 DVR for my son's room. Our boys don't DVR their 612 that much but our 722K stays busy on average but never really get close to running out of recordable space as programs typically get viewed within a few days and get deleted.

In our situation would it be really necessary for us to go with a 2 Hopper(w/OTA's),2 Joey setup or just go with a single Hopper w/ 2 Joeys, we've even suggested just one Joey.

From what I've read it's possible to run us what $7-$14 more per month over our current billing?

I've spent countless hours combing over numerous threads and replies but need some opinions from my fellow Dish friends. :cool:

For redundancy, I'd order 2H/2J. Then tell the installer you don't want the second Joey. Later, you can decide if you want to keep the remaining Joey.

how many tuners does your family need at any one time between recordings and live viewings?

if it's over 3, then you'll need 2 hoppers. Even at three, you have to look at whether your family will exceed their tuner usage occasionally and create annoying conflicts.

I would go with 2 Hopper and 1 Joey simply due to the OTA tuners, with the 722k (assuming you have module) you would currently have 4 sat tuners and 3 OTA tuners. With each Hopper you can only add one OTA, so the 2H/1J would give you 6 sat and 2 OTA, if you go with 1H/2J you could only have 3 sat and 1 OTA. Also note that if you do record a lot on the 722 and only a few on the 612 loosing 1 sat tuner may cause you some conflicts.

It's definitely looking like a 2 HWS and 1-2 Joeys, don't need no programming conflicts with the kids and wife :D

I posted in the upgrades section for a DIRT request,hope to hear from a member soon to get scheduled in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)