Really Old Equipment Question

I guess that reading the original question is too much to ask for some people. His father doesn't want to make a change - been there and done that. He was just trying to help his father. Being talked down to does not help anyone. How do you react when someone talks down to you?

Hipcat has it right though. I'd tell your father that his existing receivers will need to be replaced soon, and that the best course of action to get the 612 is to initiate the call saying that the 512 is acting up. Otherwise when the 512 is obsolete, Dish will insist on upgrading to a Hopper or Wally class receivers, with a much different interface.

I’m sorry, but the 512 era is toast.

The ViP612 would be, at first, the least painful option. IF they allow it.

But the “better” long term solution is to, for this instance, the Wally.

However, let us consider the age. He might well have a ViP612, IF they allow it, for the rest of his life.
But I suspect the ViP series has about a year or two before Dish MUST cut costs on the support of obsolete equipment and stops ALL support. No s/w updates. No swap outs. If it stops working, upgrade, perhaps at cost.

Declining subscribers means no support for old equipment. It means no more MPEG-2 SOON. And it means we can expect MVEC across the board not too far in the future.

So how long will he live? How much trouble to learn a new interface? And would a bunch of icons be easier? I suspect they may be.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: HipKat
I’m sorry, but the 512 era is toast.

The ViP612 would be, at first, the least painful option. IF they allow it.

But the “better” long term solution is to, for this instance, the Wally.

However, let us consider the age. He might well have a ViP612, IF they allow it, for the rest of his life.
But I suspect the ViP series has about a year or two before Dish MUST cut costs on the support of obsolete equipment and stops ALL support. No s/w updates. No swap outs. If it stops working, upgrade, perhaps at cost.

Declining subscribers means no support for old equipment. It means no more MPEG-2 SOON. And it means we can expect MVEC across the board not too far in the future.

If that is the case, and my Vip 211k will no longer work. What is there that will replace it with. the outboard HDD and OTA tuner, for no extra fee for having it? The Wally with the OTA dongle? Has Dish fixed all of the issues with it? The internet thing is fine, but I like the outboard HDD, OTA tuner, and no receiver fees.

None of you are aware of details of my situation, I asked the question I got the answer and I was fine with it. I didn't fly off any handles. But, I didn't need or appreciate the snide cracks and criticisms. Once Jim5506 gave me the answer I needed in the very first reply, this thread could have ended. And as far as I am concerned it has.

Reactions: papachops
I was just expanding on Jim5506's answer to give you the full picture to make an informed decision.

I'm in the same boat with my 80 year old father. He has 4 rooms of SD receivers and SD service with DTV feeding HDTVs. He thinks that he's got HD just because he's watching widescreen SD stretch-o-vision. He's in for a rude awakening when those receivers are obsoleted later this year. He's also paying way too much for his needs but won't hear of it. Stubborn as a mule.

Reactions: TheKrell
But I suspect the ViP series has about a year or two before Dish MUST cut costs on the support of obsolete equipment and stops ALL support. No s/w updates.

I don't remember seeing any 612 software updates in a long time. So cutting out what they already do not provide is not going to save any bucks. ;)

Reactions: dishdude
I don't remember seeing any 612 software updates in a long time. So cutting out what they already do not provide is not going to save any bucks. ;)

At this point there has not been a S/W update for years, many years. And DISH already stopped refurbishing them and is only allowing a VIP for an account still with them. (As far as we know) So I tend to agree there appears to be no added cost to DISH at this point. Eventually there will be no more to swap out or buy and then you will need to move on to the something newer.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts