REALLY weird HR20 message..

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
So I got my HR20 installed and running. I connected it to the internet to try out the On Demand service, which worked well, although cable is definitely doing it better at this point.

Anyways, when I was done I disconnected the DVR from my network because it is not "near" my router and I had to string the Cat-5 across the hall. Not the most appealing thing or conducive for easy movement. About 45 minutes after being disconnected I saw this:

TV%20Msg.jpg

For those of you that don't know, TVersity is a media streaming program, similar to Windows Media Center, except it is a little more flexible and can stream different types of media (XviD Anyone?)

Now this is weird for a number of reasons (aside from the obvious ones)..

A: I do have TVersity installed on my computer, but it was never running when the DVR was connected to my network.

B: This message came up around 45 minutes after being disconnected from the network.

What exactly does this message mean? I know that the HR20 has some media streaming capabilities, but from what I saw it requires ViiV technology (which I do not have.) Also how would it know that I even HAVE this software when it wasn't even running? Anyone have any ideas?

:confused::confused:

I get the same one with my laptop. Its the media share Beta program running on the receiver. Its very weird for me as well because the message doesn't show up until 20-30 min after i turn off the computer.

To me the creepiest part is that it detected it when the server wasn't even RUNNING... its like a creepy D* ESP..

The same happens here. I however, seen the message on the HR20 when the wife shut down the computer TVersity is running on.

From what I unserstand is it only does it when the TVersity service is stopped or the computer running it is shut down. Otherwise you shouldn't have to worry about it. I know TVersity doesn't start with Windows Vista automaticly so I only see this when I actually am using TVersity service and have it sharing.

The same happens here. I however, seen the message on the HR20 when the wife shut down the computer TVersity is running on.

From what I unserstand is it only does it when the TVersity service is stopped or the computer running it is shut down. Otherwise you shouldn't have to worry about it. I know TVersity doesn't start with Windows Vista automaticly so I only see this when I actually am using TVersity service and have it sharing.

Wait.. so can I use the HR20 and TVersity together somehow? Also is it just limited to TVersity or almost all other Media sharing programs, like Winamp Remote?

I use TVersity with my PS3. But yes, I believe you can use it with the HR20 as well. I am not familiar with Winamp Remote so I can't help ya with that one.

BTW, I see we have the same join date. You have way more posts then I do though.

I use TVersity with my PS3. But yes, I believe you can use it with the HR20 as well. I am not familiar with Winamp Remote so I can't help ya with that one.

BTW, I see we have the same join date. You have way more posts then I do though.
Well I have more posts because I'm stupider and more opinionated. ;p

After doing some more research I found a few things out:

A. Apparently TVersity's Windows Service started every time I booted up, so it seems that was enough for my HR20 to detect it.

B. I never was using the program properly because I did not realize how sensitive TV was to subfolders. For example I could not get it to recognize my Disturbed Music Folder, but I tweaked the sharing folder to just go to the "Ten Thousand Fists" folder and then it worked. I kept trying to use alternative programs like Nero MediaHome and Winamp Remote. I'm finding that TVersity does a much better job at streaming. I have yet to experience any buffering.

C. Proper configuration of TVersity has allowed me to now stream my content to my HR20, my Xbox 360, and my Wii. No more watching my collection of Dr. Who episodes on my 19" LCD screen. ;p

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)