Reasonable Instal Cost

rlarryvt

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
Barre, Vt
I've been trying to get someone to my house to give for an HD OTA instal. He finally called and asked for my info. I told him I've done my research and I need a Lg Directional with a pre amp to get the channels I want off of Mt Mansfield. He asked me how high my roof was, I told him about 35-40 feet with an unused chimney. He says 6, maybe $700. That is a couple hundred dollars more then I was expecting. Am I wrong?

ota antenna install

Depending on the antenna and preamp and mast hardware and coax you could be looking ant 250-300 plus that does not include labor. My wnegard alone was like 125 plus 75 for a rotor and 25 for a tripod, I had schedule 80 aluminum tubing just lying around I used for masting.

There are really 3 factors at play here...

1) How high your roof is
2) The type of equipment being installed
3) Labor required to install it

The antenna equipment probably costs the guy anywhere from $175-$250, the real issue for him is getting on your roof to install it.

This is not like installing a Dish where you can get away mounting it near the gutter. The problem is the guy actually has to climb to the peak of your roof.

Take my house for example, it requires a 32 foot ladder just to get above the gutter, and then the roof is so dam steep I would then need a secondary chicken ladder just to make it to the peak.

The wiring in my house is a breeze, since when the roofers put my roof on I ran a RG6 and a Rotor wire through the roof vent, but the problem for me is getting up there!.

Im too scared to go up there and none of my installers will go up there! I had to settle for a square shooter antenna in the attic instead!

I have literally considered renting a cherry picker to get up there to install a real ota antenna

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts