Receive 99 west C band and 103 west KU on single 1.2 meter dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

darb98

Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
North Central Kansas
Does anyone know if it is possible to receive KU Band from 103 west and C band from 99 west on a single 1.2 meter dish?

I found an old threat from several years ago talking about someone having done something similar with those satellite positions, but they said something about it not being possible after 105 west came online???

Anyway, it is something i would love to try. I have a spare C band lnb and a conical scalar ring that I was going to try to add to my 1.2 meter geosat pro dish that has a KU lnb on it already. I know that if it will work, I will need to find a multi lnb bracket..... Any guidance on a particluar bracket or style, or where to buy one?

I would welcome any thoughts on other possible multi-lnb targets for my 1.2 meter dish....... or my 7.5 ft mesh dish. Thanks!

I have never tried it but with only a 4 degree separation it may be tough to pull off with a c band lnbf (size wise) in the mix. You may not get the lnbfs close enough.

I think you're going to have to DIY it. Never seen a 'multi bracket' incorporating C and Ku. If there is one, I'm sure it will be only suitable for separation greater than 4 degrees on a 1.2 (without modifying the C scalar) If the separation is only 4 degrees, think you'll have to cut the conical scalar to fit the KU lnbf close enough to the C band throat..
Fit the C band, centered*, on the 1.2 and tune it up to 99W. Remove the C band LNBF, and without moving the dish, see where the Ku LNBF 'lands' to receive 103W. That will show if they will interfere with one another.
*Make sure the center of the C band feed is at the same location as the center of the, normally mounted, Ku LNBF.

Last edited:
Reactions: fred555
I'll 2nd FaT Air's statment, make sure you put the C-band LNBF at the main feed point, not off to the side. You want to maximize any chance of picking up signals with such a small dish. The Ku can be side mounted easily. I have a 1.2m with 97 and 103 (both Ku) working well, but the signal degrades quickly more than 2-3 degrees off the main focal point of the dish. Some of the TPs on 103 are not too strong.
Definately something to try though, never know it might work well!

-C.

If you look at my icon, I have the prime LNBF and the dish aimed at 99W. The dish is 2.4 meter (8 foot) prime focus stationary. The offset LNBF is being used as C-Band and receives 105W. I have used this combination for a few years now, getting the 4DTV from 105W, until I gave up the subscription when Starz left 4DTV. I can not get 103W with the C-Band LNBF, but you might be able to get it with a smaller Ku LNBF, just never tried, for lack of interest. I doubt that you can do it on 1.2 meter, but I think you have a good chance of success with the 7.5 foot dish. I have dual C-Band LNBFs on a 10 foot mesh dish, getting 97W and 101W - I never expected that to work, but it does....

Darb98 you can get 99w c band and 103w ku but its sensitive slightest movement can knock it out. Look up my dish setup Its 1.2 Meter on I can 101w and 97w ku. 103w has that bad skew setting.

OK, really appreciate the suggestions. It sounds like so many other aspects of this hobby, I just need to start experimenting and see what I can make work. Fair enough. I really do enjoy spending hours out by a dish, although my wife generally looks at me as if I've lost my mind while I'm out there. ;)

Should I just try to fabricate my own method of attaching a 2nd lnb, maybe with some metal strapping? Or does anyone have any suggestions on a particular pre-fabbed multi-lnb bracket that i could purchase?

Yeah fabricate your own. You just have to experiment to find the sweet spot for the Ku lnbf by holding it in your hand to start with. Then go from there to make your own mount. On one I did like that I took a piece of copper pipe I had and beat it flat and drilled a couple of holes. Copper is not too stiff, but soft enough to bend and tweak on.

Does anyone know if it is possible to receive KU Band from 103 west and C band from 99 west on a single 1.2 meter dish?
======================================================
I would have done, as in the photo

e1d53a2823e13a56980860c1d1bfe773.png

2db388c34f63a3f98deeb830bd016fc7.png

6a000125b941562584558e601e3a127e.png

abeb591774fcab07c363549ee1c47631.png

Status
Please reply by conversation.