Received email from Netflix about household sharing

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
You can still " travel" with netflix
never said you could not, what the OP was posting was that his daughter has been using it at college in her rental house, while at the same time he was using it at his home, 2 different IP address and I assume different areas, since school started last September, for a extremely extended period and Netflix took notice.

This is why Netflix has the $7.99 option, for a kid going to school, or to use at mom’s house, share with your brother, whatever, a lot better then paying $20 a month.

IMHO my daughter is part of my household and should be allowed even while she's at college. This was allowed forever until now. :mad: This sucks.

I agree kids at school should be able to access the household account. In the recent reporting I've read the issue has not been addressed by Netflix yet. Hopefully they come to their senses.

I really don’t see how this is going to cost them a ton of paying subscribers.

If you’re paying and you enjoy the content, it’s a minor inconvenience perhaps when you travel in some cases. If you’re not paying and you don’t sign up they haven’t lost anything.

They will pick up a few subscribers with it, or the $7.99 fee for those that want to continue to allow some to use their subscription.

I certainly understand why they would implement this, even if I think there may have been a better solution on how to do it.

Personally, I’m keeping it as I always have.

Reactions: Bobby

If you’re paying and you enjoy the content, it’s a minor inconvenience perhaps when you travel in some cases. If you’re not paying and you don’t sign up they haven’t lost anything.

They will pick up a few subscribers with it, or the $7.99 fee for those that want to continue to allow some to use their subscription.

I certainly understand why they would implement this, even if I think there may have been a better solution on how to do it.

As I posted before, I had a friend that worked there until she left to go work for the mouse, there were many meetings they had about how to handle password sharing, this was the least painful of all the options they discussed, all of the other things they talked about would have really pissed people off.

• Haha
Reactions: BarnRat
As I posted before, I had a friend that worked there until she left to go work for the mouse, there were many meetings they had about how to handle password sharing, this was the least painful of all the options they discussed, all of the other things they talked about would have really pissed people off.
I can think of a few ways that would have made people feel better, and made this a nothing burger.

Not that it matters, I’m not in the decision making process there.

Depends how many are sharing the subscription...college students share netflix alot...other countries had issues too..the problem is that netflix sold the service as "shareable"

Netflix does not know who owns what home(s) or care, they only know that their service is being used in two different locations, especially if they are used in two different states, that is a big red flag.

They will not start charging you, you have to go do the account page and authorize it as a device in a separate location.
So, if I have a Netflix account, I can't use it at Home and the Cottage without a different account ?
They have the money that is paid every month ... in My case they have a years worth of my money.

So, if I go to the lake and watch and the wife stays home, she can't watch at home ?

Does it actually Say that ???

So, if I have a Netflix account, I can't use it at Home and the Cottage without a different account ?
They have the money that is paid every month ... in My case they have a years worth of my money.

So, if I go to the lake and watch and the wife stays home, she can't watch at home ?

Does it actually Say that ???
Of course you can, that is considered Traveling, now if they noticed it was used in your home and cottage at the same time, that would be different.

Of course you can, that is considered Traveling, now if they noticed it was used in your home and cottage at the same time, that would be different.
Directv said the same thing 20 years ago ... talked with them and they said, sure you can, no problem.

Out of ALL the subs they have, to pick out the people that may use it at the same time would be incredible.

IF they do, do this and say we can't use it at our Cottage and our Home ... its easy enough to Cancel Netflix and use Amazon Prime instead ... she's generally just looking for a Movie she wants to watch.

Not paying $28 for Netflix, just NOT worth it.

I canceled yesterday. Not going to pay $20 a month when my daughter away at college can't use the service.

Did you try reaching out to Netflix to ask if they have a policy about children attending college being part of your household? I haven't seen the issue addressed by them.

Did you try reaching out to Netflix to ask if they have a policy about children attending college being part of your household? I haven't seen the issue addressed by them.

No, I'm just going to cancel for awhile to wait and see if they adjust this policy. The only thing these companies understand is withholding their cash.

Last edited:
Sorry..they blocked his daughter from using his account..no warning

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell

You seem to be correct-

Netflix’s NFLX 2.40%increase; green up pointing triangle long-awaited crackdown on password sharing in the U.S. delivered a windfall of new subscribers in its earliest days, according to new data from streaming analytics company Antenna

Shares of Netflix have risen about 13% since the password-sharing crackdown went into effect on May 23.