Received upgrade letter 942 to 622, advice?

Fabric8r

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Hello,

Sorry I have not visited this forum in several years.
Last week I received a letter from DN mentioning a free upgrade offer. I called them, they want to replace my 942 with a 622. Any time between now and the end of the year. Any information and advice?

Thank you!
-Kev

Hello,

Sorry I have not visited this forum in several years.
Last week I received a letter from DN mentioning a free upgrade offer. I called them, they want to replace my 942 with a 622. Any time between now and the end of the year. Any information and advice?

Thank you!
-Kev
Yes, you definitely want to take it! This is because of the conversion from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4. In addition, the 622 is a great receiver!

Had the 942 (and liked it) until a little after the 622 came out - you won't be sorry for the switch. Two Sat. HD Tuners, on OTA digital Tuner. Now have the 622 and a 722 - great DVRs.

I also suggest you accept the offer. Also, if they'll up you to a ViP722 for $75 or less, and no other changes, I'd recommend that. The ViP722 is black, has a larger hard drive, and a better chipset to support d/l HD movies over the internet.

I also suggest you accept the offer. Also, if they'll up you to a ViP722 for $75 or less, and no other changes, I'd recommend that. The ViP722 is black, has a larger hard drive, and a better chipset to support d/l HD movies over the internet.
I wouldn't pay anything, or even mention the 722. More than likely they'll be out of new 622's, so you'll get a 722 anyway for no extra cost.

There are no "new" ViP622s They stopped production quite some time ago. Any in stock are refurb'd.

I'm getting a 622 to replace my 942. Currently I don't pay the HD enabling fee and was told that my monthly bill would stay the same. When I originally purchased my 942 I was under the impression that if you had a 622 you had to pay the HD enabling fee. Does this mean that I will get HD programming when I get the 622?

I'm getting a 622 to replace my 942. Currently I don't pay the HD enabling fee and was told that my monthly bill would stay the same. When I originally purchased my 942 I was under the impression that if you had a 622 you had to pay the HD enabling fee. Does this mean that I will get HD programming when I get the 622?
I am probably in a similar situation to you. I have a 942 and dropped the HD package a long time ago because it wasn't worth it. It seemed like the only HD I was watching was from local stations--and that was free.

When I called the upgrade number they told me there would be no additional fees on the 622. Even though the 622 will be leased, I will not pay a lease fee. Even though I don't subscribe to a HD package, I will not pay a "HD Enabling" fee. If you see either of those call them back and complain. Dish is trying to eliminate all 942s in the field. The upgrade was their idea, not yours. It is fair to ask that your bill be exactly the same before and after the upgrade.

That being said, now that there are so many HD offerings, I might subscribe to an HD package after all because it is a much better value now than it was when it was just 5 channels!

Make sure that they give you a "new" 622. The rebuilt boxes are junk.
So what does one do if they sign up for the upgrade and the technician brings a rebuilt 622 into your house expecting to install it? I certainly would want to have a new receiver rather than a rebuilt one, but I'm not sure I have grounds for rejecting a rebuilt one if that is what they bring on the truck.

The 942 is part of the TiVo lawsuit as a settlemant DISH is replacing them and will not I repeat Will Not activate them any longer. Thry have no Ebay value except for parts unless the buyer dosen't know what they are buying.
622 replacements are probably leased receivers hopefully with the lease fee credited on your account. Seeing they will be the property of DISH Network it dosen't matter if they are refurbs or not.

Someone else posted that the 721/921,etc is not part of the Tivo lawsuit that it was false information in the 721 replacement thread. Dish Network claims it is not due to the Tivo lawsuit as well but I don't trust what they say. If there is some sort of documentation that can be had then I would like to present it to my state's attorney general so that I get an owned receiver instead of a leased one to replace my 721.

Why is it so hard to accept that it isn't worth their time or money to write code for outdated receivers that exist in small numbers, to let them utilize the latest encryption cards?

Take a deep breath and step back. Do you really think your AG is going to give your proposal a moment's thought? Do you think his staff will even pass such a matter before his eyes? Really? Please don't discredit yourself by even trying such a thing.

If there is some sort of documentation that can be had then I would like to present it to my state's attorney general so that I get an owned receiver instead of a leased one to replace my 721.
I'm in the same situation, but I don't think you have a case your state's attorney general would take up. IF they would charge you are lease fee, then you might have a case, but they likely will waive any lease fees. IF they demanded you return your old 721, then you might have a case, but they will let you keep it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)