Receiver for OTA HD only

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dr0doom

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
I cant find the list of DTV receivers which can receive HD OTA without a DirecTV subscription. The old list I looked at a while back is a dead link now. I was going to get a cheap one off of ebay. Does the H10 do this if it has the card in it?

I cant find the list of DTV receivers which can receive HD OTA without a DirecTV subscription. The old list I looked at a while back is a dead link now. I was going to get a cheap one off of ebay. Does the H10 do this if it has the card in it?

I don't know about the H10, but the LG 3200a, the Sony HD200 and HD300 and the Hughes HTL without a subscription.

An old Voom receiver would also work, assuming:
1. The receiver had been activated
2. The owner did not cancel Voom service prior to [company] shut-down with the receiver hooked up so it was de-activated.

On Ebay search for Hisense there are some USDTV boxes going for about $60. Or just search on Ebay for HDTV Receivers. Samsung TS 360 can be added to previous models H10 I believe needs a D* signal.

On Ebay search for Hisense there are some USDTV boxes going for about $60. Or just search on Ebay for HDTV Receivers. Samsung TS 360 can be added to previous models H10 I believe needs a D* signal.

The Samsung does work, but they had issues with them. Many were very buggy.

I don't know about the H10, but the LG 3200a, the Sony HD200 and HD300 and the Hughes HTL without a subscription.

Thanks for this information! I recently retired my Sony SAT-HD 300 and was thinking about fleabaying it, but now I think I will use it in the garage.
Is it just me or does anyone else hate to sell something they paid major $ (granted, years ago) only to see it command 10-20 % of the original selling price?
Does the DTV card need to be installed? Thanks for your help.

Yes.

I can't help but wonder if I am missing something.. Why would someone want a receiver that gets just the HD OTA. If you have an HD TV, your TV should get the HD OTA. If you don't have an HD TV, then one of those free Converters would pick up the OTA for an old SD set.. What am I missing here.

I can't help but wonder if I am missing something.. Why would someone want a receiver that gets just the HD OTA. If you have an HD TV, your TV should get the HD OTA. If you don't have an HD TV, then one of those free Converters would pick up the OTA for an old SD set.. What am I missing here.

Not every hd tv has an atsc tuner in it. All of the new ones sold now have them, but a couple of years ago it wasn't the case. They were called monitors, or hd ready, or hd capable.

Why would someone want a receiver that gets just the HD OTA. If you have an HD TV, your TV should get the HD OTA. If you don't have an HD TV, then one of those free Converters would pick up the OTA for an old SD set.. What am I missing here.

Yes I do have an HD tv, but I'm wanting it for my stand-alone DVR for recording locals, which only does analog, and no digital tuner. I have cable, but the analog locals on it do not look as good when recorded on the DVR. I did get one of those converters for $10 plus govt coupon, and it worked great, but it died on me after 2 months of use. I lost my receipt, so I've decided to get a quality receiver at a bargain price. The govt only sent me 1 coupon, and I'm too cheap to spend $50-$60 on this. The H10's are going on ebay for $15-$20 including shipping.

I have a RCA DTC-100 that will pick up all over the air channels and has an excellent scan for channel function. I am not sure if the DTC-210 is the same. I think it will work without the access card for OTA.

The H10 is the last DirecTV HD receiver whose OTA tuners will work without a DirecTV subscription-but an access card must be inserted. I do not know if they need to be paired to each other, however.

I know the above mentioned (LSS-3200A, HD-300, HTL-HD) receivers will work for OTA without a Direct Tv subscription, but how about a Zenith HD SAT 520? Is that made by LG?

I know the above mentioned (LSS-3200A, HD-300, HTL-HD) receivers will work for OTA without a Direct Tv subscription, but how about a Zenith HD SAT 520? Is that made by LG?

Yes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)