Receiver froze up?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I had to re-boot my HR20 twice and it's working fine now.

Didn't even look on the forums till 2 hours later.

I didn't re-boot it once then come here and start having a hissy fit about it.

Last edited:
My receiver (R22-100) boots up and acts normal till it gets to the progress bar after checking the satellite settings, where it'll immediately stop and search for the signal, instead of loading up to 100%. After a few minutes, it'll get off that screen and show a gray one with a More info option in the bottom right corner.

After reading this thread, I did the unplug 1 min, plug in, unplug 1 min, plug in thing several times already, and the receiver still isn't responding properly. I also tried the RBR a few times, but still nothing.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I've already tried unplug/replug x2 after the blue circle comes on in the front, before the progress screen above had time to show up, as well as after the progress screen is over with and it goes to a gray one (where it fails to do load the guide, or anything really.)

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I've already tried unplug/replug x2 after the blue circle comes on in the front, before the progress screen above had time to show up, as well as after the progress screen is over with and it goes to a gray one (where it fails to do load the guide, or anything really.)
How long did you wait with the gray screen?

Varies. A few times before I got online and searched around (and found my way to this site) I was on the gray screen for maybe ten, fifteen minutes (however long it takes for the screen saver to come up.) After I searched for the solution online, it's been anywhere from a few seconds, to ten or so minutes.

Yes I have protection plan. I ahve already plugged and unplugged 3 times. I even unplugged the cables in the back when I did get a CS rep in at 4AM.
Thing is, if I unplug the scan will stop and if it comes back will start over I assume.
It is now at 13%. I don't understand this scandisk and why it is so slow.
What is going on with this software dload it worked great till this.

Chances are this is just a coincidental disk issue that the dvr noticed when it was being rebooted.

You should leave it to run until it either finishes the scan or gives up.

In any case, chances are you're going to have to replace this receiver at some point in the next week. Even if it completes the scan, that many problems with the drive probably mean that its shot.

So if it comes back up after the scan, which could take 8-12 hours or more, depending on your disk drive size, watch anything important on it as soon as you can. If/when it croaks again, use your protection plan to get a new one.

DBStalk, Has ALOT of complaints, As fas as I could post 3 more new are posted.

Yes there are a few MODs that are still Sticking up for D*.
LOL!. Now wonder D* loves them.

According to them they claim it wasn't the 3D software that caused it.
That it was a Guide issue.
What ever it was it shouldn't happen.
I think D* needs to hire some more people to do the smart stuff.:p

You know, it doesn't matter whether it was a guide data issue or something 3D related, this was a major **** up. Harsh was right earlier, this has been the 3rd such issue in the last 12-18 months. Whether it's mods at dbstalk or CSRs here, there is no excuse/defense for this ****.

D*'s lucky I don't have any other real choice. FiOS and U-Verse (which I wouldn't want anyway) are MIA in my area and I have a couple of reasons why Dish doesn't work for me either. So my only real other choice is TWC but their crap seems messed up all the time and there are a lot of PQ issues caused by issues with their switched digital video system not really being ready for prime time, at least in heavier populated areas.

I've been a computer programmer for 20 years and I usually don't rag on my fellow programmers but it seems like some heads need to roll for keep allowing these kind of issues to get out to the public and cause this many major problems.

I've been a computer programmer for 20 years and I usually don't rag on my fellow programmers but it seems like some heads need to roll for keep allowing these kind of issues to get out to the public and cause this many major problems.

I completely agree.. I know issues crop up on software development, but there's no excuse to let something so major get out to so many customers..

Where were the unit tests, qa, or uat???

From what the directv shills are saying, the problem is bad guide data that killed the box. They're also saying that there is no way to prevent this.

Sounds like they need some better programmers who can manage error handling and deadman timers.

You know, it doesn't matter whether it was a guide data issue or something 3D related, this was a major **** up. Harsh was right earlier, this has been the 3rd such issue in the last 12-18 months. Whether it's mods at dbstalk or CSRs here, there is no excuse/defense for this ****.

D*'s lucky I don't have any other real choice. FiOS and U-Verse (which I wouldn't want anyway) are MIA in my area and I have a couple of reasons why Dish doesn't work for me either. So my only real other choice is TWC but their crap seems messed up all the time and there are a lot of PQ issues caused by issues with their switched digital video system not really being ready for prime time, at least in heavier populated areas.

I couldn't agree more, But I'm at a loss. I can pay and leave , or Hope D* gets their Head out of their a$$ and getts it together.
I still have my E* account, But I don't want to upgade with them becuase it seems everyday the are raising rates somewhere.

Cable well the DVR's Suck worse then D*.

Hi, first time posting!
I'm looking for suggestions. I am caught in the software upgrade and I have rebooted the machine oh about a dozen times now. My neighbor had the same problem but 2 hard reboots fixed hers (drat). My remote however still won't work.

I've reset the remote as well (code 981) zip, nada....so sad!

Anything else I can try? Its a HR21 receiver.

mary

From what the directv shills are saying, the problem is bad guide data that killed the box. They're also saying that there is no way to prevent this.

Sounds like they need some better programmers who can manage error handling and deadman timers.
They could start by not having average joes do CE beta testing from DBS talk.:)

That might be a start!

Came home early after reading this to find my HR22-100 non-responsive as well. It has been running 0x3de and was running A-OK last night when I went to sleep. I unplugged it for about 15mins and then re-applied power and it ran through all it's cycles and runs fine again.

What's the fix on these? I rebooted both of my HR21's 3 times and even unplugged them. They come back on with no front key/remote response...

Red button reboot twice per D*. Worked for me. Wait until first is finished and blank screen then hit the red button for second reboot

Same issues at my house. Wife called in. Said they have a prerecorded message saying unplug the receiver for 15 seconds. Plug it back in. Unplug it again for 15 seconds, Plug it back in and your issue should be solved.

And do the Hokey-Pokey and you turn yourself around... :D

Unplugging twice didn't work, heck unplugging 6 times didn't work
Unplugging once followed by red button didn't work
Red button followed by Unplugging didn't work
Two red button didn't work
Resetting remote didn't work......but
If I sit on the floor and push the buttons on the front of the box it works!
Just the remote interface is dead...gone...bye bye...see ya.....sob....

I didnt have much luck with multiple plug/unplugs either. I just got a momentary blip of the blue power light and could hear that the fan was on but no other lights and no tv output.

I left them both unplugged for a while and when I plugged them in, as soon as the blue light came on I forced a software update. When that came up as soon as I had a tv channel come on I clicked menu/setup/reset receiver.

That way I got a known good software download, all the guide data was flushed so I'd get new guide data, and that seemed to do it for me. Everything has been good for almost 2 hours now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.