Receiver ID security and scams

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jefty_jeff

Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
True North Strong and Free
Hi,
I tried searching online, but couldn't find anything to help me answer this question:
Do I open myself up to any scams or crooks by providing my receiver ID number and card number to others?
It may sound odd, but the situation is as follows:

I have a used DirecTV receiver, with a card in it. It hasn't been used for a couple of years, since the owner (my parents' friend) passed away. I don't need this receiver, and I was wondering if I can sell it someone who might need it.
But a potential buyer is asking to provide the receiver number and card number to confirm with DirecTV that it's clear, and whether he'll be able to use it. I did provide the numbers, but now in hindsight I wonder if it was a mistake to do it without meeting him first. If anyone has any insight or experience they don't mind sharing, it would be appreciated.
Thank you!

I don't think he can use it for anything, what he is doing is absolutely recommended for anyone wanting to buy a receiver from anyone. It's the only way to ensure the receiver can actually be activated by DirecTV. Most receivers you see for sale on eBay, craigslist etc are leased not owned and cannot be used on another account, hence the need to check with DirecTV.

:welcome to Satelliteguys jefty_jeff!

As others have said, you are okay giving out those numbers.

Right from the Directv website:
Can I activate a used receiver?
DIRECTV allows the activation of used receivers under certain conditions, including the following

The used receiver cannot be active on another DIRECTV account
The used receiver must be a previously owned unit; if the receiver was previously leased on an account it cannot be activated and must be returned to DIRECTV.
The receiver must have a Receiver ID Number; older models without an Receiver ID Number cannot be reactivated because they do not support DIRECTV's current technology
To verify whether a receiver is eligible for activation on your account, please call us at 1-800-531-5000 between 8.00 AM and 1 AM ET. If you meet all of these criteria, we’ll then send you a new access card as a new card is required for activation, and a postage-paid envelope to return the old card. Please note that a $20 fee will apply for the new card.

Once you receive the new access card and have installed the receiver, call us at 1-800-531-5000 to activate. Make sure to mention that you have pre-owned equipment and want to activate programming on it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)