Receiver policy

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Is there anything wrong with this RV setup with two HR24 DVRs?
One coax from single-LNB RV dish to SWM8 switch (not sure which port to connect to),
one coax from SWM1 port on switch to two-way SWM splitter,
coax from each leg of the splitter to the sat1 port on each of the two HR24 DVRs (sat2 port not used),
power inserter installed between one of the DVRs and the splitter.
Would this work?
Side note, the RV dish has two output ports. I don't know if I should connect one or both to the SWM8 switch.

Thanks for clarifying that.
Do you know what the difference is between the residential and commercial receivers? Do the commercial receivers last longer or something?
I don't think there is any difference, just how the account is set up. Claude would know.

The hardware is identical, the difference is just in Directv's records. They download the same software (except for special types of commercial accounts like hotels) but certain functions are different, like having no powersave menu. However, that has nothing to do with which receiver you buy, but the account type it is activated on.

I have a number of H20s off eBay over the years, most if not all came from residential accounts but I'm able to activate them on my commercial account no problem. I have a friend who buys storage lockers who acquired a locker full of Directv gear a few years back, and I helped him identify it in exchange for a few freebies (that's where I got my polarity locker and amp) There was a slightly beat up H25, when I checked the RID it was off a residential account and couldn't be resold. I activated it on my account to play around with a bit and see if it even worked then for the hell of it called Directv to check the RID again and they told it was owned and could be resold. So I gave it back to him :)

I don't know if it is always true that residential receivers 'laundered' through a commercial account become owned or if something fell through the cracks since this was the only time I did this. Not that it would be worth it to try and make a business out of it, since becoming "owned" doesn't increase the value of receivers all that much - there isn't much supply but there also isn't much demand. Anyway, I'm sure Directv would eventually notice a commercial account that was activating and deactivating hundreds of receivers a year and wonder what is going on and there's no way it would be worth impacting your real business to try to make a few bucks with a shady trick...

The hardware is identical, the difference is just in Directv's records. They download the same software (except for special types of commercial accounts like hotels) but certain functions are different, like having no powersave menu. However, that has nothing to do with which receiver you buy, but the account type it is activated on.

I have a number of H20s off eBay over the years, most if not all came from residential accounts but I'm able to activate them on my commercial account no problem. I have a friend who buys storage lockers who acquired a locker full of Directv gear a few years back, and I helped him identify it in exchange for a few freebies (that's where I got my polarity locker and amp) There was a slightly beat up H25, when I checked the RID it was off a residential account and couldn't be resold. I activated it on my account to play around with a bit and see if it even worked then for the hell of it called Directv to check the RID again and they told it was owned and could be resold. So I gave it back to him :)

I don't know if it is always true that residential receivers 'laundered' through a commercial account become owned or if something fell through the cracks since this was the only time I did this. Not that it would be worth it to try and make a business out of it, since becoming "owned" doesn't increase the value of receivers all that much - there isn't much supply but there also isn't much demand. Anyway, I'm sure Directv would eventually notice a commercial account that was activating and deactivating hundreds of receivers a year and wonder what is going on and there's no way it would be worth impacting your real business to try to make a few bucks with a shady trick...
Good story.
Will Directv activate any receiver bought online? What if the receiver belonged to a delinquent account? What about stolen receives?

Good story.
Will Directv activate any receiver bought online? What if the receiver belonged to a delinquent account? What about stolen receives?
They will activate OWNED recvrs if you have one ...
Leased recvrs will not be activated, so be careful what you get online.
Also remember, just because you buy it online from somewhere, doesn't make it Owned.

They will only activate a leased received on a residential account if 1) it has never been activated on an account before (i.e. new or "newly refurbished") or 2) it was previously active on the same account (i.e. deactivated off the same account number at some time in the past - same name or address isn't good enough if the account number is different) and the same card must be used.

They will only activate a leased received on a residential account if 1) it has never been activated on an account before (i.e. new or "newly refurbished") or 2) it was previously active on the same account (i.e. deactivated off the same account number at some time in the past - same name or address isn't good enough if the account number is different) and the same card must be used.
I thought Directv requires a deactivated receiver to be returned to them

Thanks for the map but I'm too stupid to figure it out. Can you tell me which sat the standard definition CBS, ABC, NBC, and Fox channels from LA and New York City are on?
They are all on the 101 satellite. From NY, CBS is transponder 22, NBC is t3, Fox is t17, and ABC is t7. From LA, CBS is t29, NBC is t24, ABC is t22, and FOX is t17.

I thought Directv requires a deactivated receiver to be returned to them

If it is obsolete (like pre HR24 or pre H24) they will not ask for it back, giving you the main benefit of an owned receiver i.e. being able to activate/deactivate it at will.

If it is obsolete (like pre HR24 or pre H24) they will not ask for it back, giving you the main benefit of an owned receiver i.e. being able to activate/deactivate it at will.
So you ARE allowed to REACTIVATE them ?
Even though you probably were returning it because it was defective ?

So you ARE allowed to REACTIVATE them ?
Even though you probably were returning it because it was defective ?

Not sure about that, they might get removed from Directv's systems entirely. But if you were getting rid of a receiver to save the $7/month fee and they said they didn't want it back you can reactivate it and deactivate it at will. At least that's what people have reported they are able to do, those 'non-recoverable' receivers essentially get treated as 'owned' for that account - but wouldn't work that way on someone else's account so they aren't truly owned.

Would they want an HR24 DVR back?

I cancelled my account two weeks ago. I have an HR44 and HR24, installed by and leased from DirecTV. I just got off the phone with them now - they don't want either receiver back.

This was after:
- Them telling me originally that they were mailing out a postage-paid return label and box
- I'd be expected to return both receivers and my remotes
- 11 days elapsed time, nothing came from them
- On the phone with them for 30 minutes this morning
- After 15 minutes they said they couldn't get their system to process one of my receivers for return as the receiver was obsolete
- Then it took them another 15 minutes to determine that they didn't want the other receiver either.
- They can't send me anything in writing stating they don't want their equipment back. They put a "note" in my file instead.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts