Receiver question?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

crosspaws

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
Grand Haven MI
I was looking at the linkbox to record OTA, but after looking at it closer I see it's not what I need. I was looking for something that would record my Charter channels. I don't want to spend the money on monthly box rental charter dvr, and hoped I could find some thing that could do cable and FTA. Something along the lines of the linkbox HD local. I hope this is the correct place to ask this question.

thanks Eric

I believe to record cable channels, you'll need a stand-alone DVR with tuner. I'm reasonably sure that such a thing exists, but I haven't shopped for one. Not sure how many different cable-system channel plans there might be. Have you explored the specs for a used Tivo?

Don't think any OTA STB would work as a converter as they (OTA converters) are ATSC and 'cable' uses QAM. A 'third party' DVR is limited to the basic (clear) cable channels only. Pretty sure for the premium channels you're 'under the gun' to rent the providers DVR STB.

Thanks for the replies, I kind of thought my options would be poor. Just thought I would ask.

Thanks again Eric.

Status
Please reply by conversation.